RSPB petition to improve laws that protect nature..

Edit My Images
No
I had this mentioned in an email and hope it is of interest to others?

You couldn't pay me to sign that, sorry.

Why ever would anyone NOT sign that?

I've already signed it, Gramps.......

They can answer for themselves of course but I read the section on the bottom and beyond and suspect that it was this that put them off.

As a first step please sign the petition to say you want targets to revive our world. We'll then let you know about more opportunities to push governments on big decisions for nature over the coming months.

You’re a very important part of that which is why we’d love for you to opt in so we can let you know about the conservation, campaigning, research and fundraising work that we’re doing.

Your details will be kept safe and secure, only used by us, or those who work for us, and will not be shared with anyone else. We analyse information you provide, and about how you’ve helped us, to decide what communications will be of interest to you (and so that we can save our resources for conservation work)
and to help us understand our supporters. I'm always wary of this last claim

I also see it wants to have the RSPB and RSPB Shop to have your dertails. Re your phone number etc it's a Yes/ No tick. they will also analyse your information to decide quote "What communications will be of interest to you"

On the face of it a worthy cause but I suspect all this is why Jim (Admirable) and LLP have declined to sign up. It's put me off too to be honest. I'm sure a petition for parliament only requires a name and address..I think .I've Googled that and don't see an answer.

I am a member but I'm not an uncritical supporter of the RSPB. You can always say NO to all those questions, can't you? I honestly can't see the harm in signing this petition. Unless you don't give a **** , of course..........

I'll respond to your post despite the last sentence .The website is E-Activist.com My first impression was it's an umbrella 'company' taking on environmental issues ..especially the heading written as it is but looking more closely I see at the bottom it is infact the RSPB which is why it requested it has contact. It obviously didn't register with me for whatever reason.Had it done so I wouldn't have responded to your post and I'd have thought the same as yourself..why not ?

So...For your information I do, as you so rudely put it,..'give a s**t' My wife and I have had joint membership of the RSPB for many years. I'm also a member of WSPA and ORCA. I had a spell working, voluntarily, with the CPL and as a member of the local volunteer group that kept the local area,which includes a large pond/lake clear of rubbish discarded by the people who don't ,as you say..'give a s**t. We go to the same accommodation in Cornwall twice a year and have done so for several years and a local has kindly declared me as an 'honorary Cornishman' for clearing the cove beach of rubbish most days during our two week stay each time. I'm especially keen to pick up the plastic fishing nets and blue fishing rope for obvious reasons.

Do you think that's giving enough of a s **t ?

I strongly suggest you sign up to this course.

https://www.gbscorporate.com/course...MIm_mAk77z6wIVBOntCh0MrwUIEAAYASAAEgI-8PD_BwE

I would not sign because it will not fix the problem which is the world over population. If that was say halved, most of these issues would go away. I can see why politicians shy away because I cannot think of an easy answer either.

Dave

@Dave Canon

Yes, world population and its growth rate are the most significant impacting influence of the damage being done to the natural world.

BUT the most damning aspect is the disproportionate and profligate consumption of the natural resources of which one is the short sighted and short term 'gain' destruction of the Amazonian rain forest. The Brazilian President claiming that only by exploiting the forest can Brazil grow economically is spurious at best and in common with the likes of Trump it panders to his base.................but he is but one of the world leaders who can only think of themselves and tomorrow and not even the next generation let alone future ones.

At a different scale the Chinese government could at a stroke initiate a change to the ridiculous demand for rhino horn and other such animal materials........but they will not do so............afteral they have control over so much of their fellow citizens lives, why not act now on the importation and sales of those products???

I fear it is already too late but to not at least try to nudge for change is surely worth making the effort :thinking::giggle:

Unless you don't give a **** , of course..........
I think the fancy name is "compassion fatigue". I just see it as a natural response to the constant propaganda that everything is our fault and wouldn't the world be a better place if half us humans dropped dead. After you with the Cyanide... :naughty:

I would not sign because it will not fix the problem which is the world over population. If that was say halved, most of these issues would go away. I can see why politicians shy away because I cannot think of an easy answer either.

Dave

Over-population is certainly ONE OF the problems. But given that we're not going to reduce the population by half any time soon, we need to do an awful lot elsewhere to try to prevent the planet becoming a shadow of its former self. Did anyone else watch the BBC/Attenborough program "Extinction: The facts" recently? if not I strongly recommend seeking it out. It's not a comfortable watch, though..

I'll respond to your post despite the last sentence .The website is E-Activist.com My first impression was it's an umbrella 'company' taking on environmental issues ..especially the heading written as it is but looking more closely I see at the bottom it is infact the RSPB which is why it requested it has contact. It obviously didn't register with me for whatever reason.Had it done so I wouldn't have responded to your post and I'd have thought the same as yourself..why not ?

So...For your information I do, as you so rudely put it,..'give a s**t' My wife and I have had joint membership of the RSPB for many years. I'm also a member of WSPA and ORCA. I had a spell working, voluntarily, with the CPL and as a member of the local volunteer group that kept the local area,which includes a large pond/lake clear of rubbish discarded by the people who don't ,as you say..'give a s**t. We go to the same accommodation in Cornwall twice a year and have done so for several years and a local has kindly declared me as an 'honorary Cornishman' for clearing the cove beach of rubbish most days during our two week stay each time. I'm especially keen to pick up the plastic fishing nets and blue fishing rope for obvious reasons.

Do you think that's giving enough of a s **t ?

I strongly suggest you sign up to this course.

https://www.gbscorporate.com/course...MIm_mAk77z6wIVBOntCh0MrwUIEAAYASAAEgI-8PD_BwE

To my eyes, it is quite clearly a petition sent out by the RSPB to their members and supporters so that they (the RSPB) can present it to Government. As a charity their survival and success depends on income from the public in the form of memberships and sales, etc; and on the whole they're very good at that. Anyone responding to it has has the choice to tick yes/no to four questions regarding further contact.

I'm sorry that you felt that my post was directed specifically at you, John. It certainly wasn't, and it obviously doesn't refer to you at all. But there are plenty of people, photographers or otherwise, who enjoy nature, wildlife and wild landscapes, and some who profit from it, but wouldn't lift a finger or pay in a penny to help protect it. It was aimed at them.

Just some additional links to share

I am convinced but you need governments across the world to cooperate. This is a topic I did not like to bring up with my daughter as her daughter is only three. I was quite shocked when she felt there was no future for her daughter as nothing would be done by governments. I did attend a lecture on this topic at a Science festival and they took a slightly less pessimistic view in that the world population will reach a peak at about 9 Billion then fall back to 6 Billion and possible continue falling. This was based on the assumption that those countries left with poor infant mortality should improve and thus move towards producing less children as in other countries. However, it was warned that it was still essential to take all steps to reduce further damage to the environment as well.

Dave

I am convinced but you need governments across the world to cooperate. This is a topic I did not like to bring up with my daughter as her daughter is only three. I was quite shocked when she felt there was no future for her daughter as nothing would be done by governments. I did attend a lecture on this topic at a Science festival and they took a slightly less pessimistic view in that the world population will reach a peak at about 9 Billion then fall back to 6 Billion and possible continue falling. This was based on the assumption that those countries left with poor infant mortality should improve and thus move towards producing less children as in other countries. However, it was warned that it was still essential to take all steps to reduce further damage to the environment as well.

Dave
One aspect that has been reported a few times over the years, is that human fertility is dropping across the globe. Though I don't recall the/any predictions as to what sort of and how long it's effect will be???

To my eyes, it is quite clearly a petition sent out by the RSPB to their members and supporters so that they (the RSPB) can present it to Government. As a charity their survival and success depends on income from the public in the form of memberships and sales, etc; and on the whole they're very good at that. Anyone responding to it has has the choice to tick yes/no to four questions regarding further contact.

I'm sorry that you felt that my post was directed specifically at you, John. It certainly wasn't, and it obviously doesn't refer to you at all. But there are plenty of people, photographers or otherwise, who enjoy nature, wildlife and wild landscapes, and some who profit from it, but wouldn't lift a finger or pay in a penny to help protect it. It was aimed at them.

Nice reply,Jeremy....thanks. I had the same issue with Mr Badger a week or so ago and I'm clearly misreading posts when mine is the previous post and the next one includes the word 'You'. I'm reading it literally..You (ie me). As I had written the last post before your reply I really thought yours was directed at me. Of course, that's why the 'quote' option is there to 'speak' directly to someone otherwise it's for whoever reads the post. You're owed an apology (y)

You'll probably understand better if I tell you that when I watch a tv reporter interview someone I comment to my wife on this very aspect.Eg. a topical subject. The recent exam results fiasco I recall a BBC reporter ask a female student, "How did you feel when your grades were below what you expected ? Answer: "Well, you feel really disappointed" I said to my wife.."she means.. 'I' ."I felt really disappointed" She answered further questions in the same manner. It would never occur to me to answer like that. Taking things literally is something I tend to do.

In the forum a re-adjustment in perception is required on my part, I think. Might be difficult :) Possibly the same reason I didn't see it as an RSPB ad .

Last edited:
Back