Ruby Ruby Ruby, Ruby.....and some others..

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
An exciting find for me yesterday was this Ruby tail wasp that decided to fly off as soon as i opened the pot i caught it in. Grrr. But today i found some more and managed to get one in flight though not going to win any prizes for it...

ruby tailed wasp by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

ruby tailed wasp by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

This little bee was defending it's nests from the rubys.

solitary bee by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

Something iv'e never seen before is this Ant mimic wasp. Rubbish pic but thought it was interesting.

ant-mimic-wasp by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

Lesser Stag Beetle by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

Lace wing by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

No idea what these next beetles were but very pretty.

7 by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

Untitled by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

So much iridescence, a feast… Thanks Andrew!

Excellent, nature is beautiful isn't it ;)

What a vibrant set of images! Beautiful colours. My pick is the black beetle.

Excellent especially like the Ruby wasps

Thanks Pete. I took loads of pics of these last night and everyone failed. They literally don't stop running looking for a host Bee nest to lay their eggs on, and i have only found them in bright sun light which is a problem with metallic bugs. I was trying to use natural light but it wasn't helping so when the sun comes out again ill have another try using the flash. The first pic i did use flash on, but it was a caught specimen so slightly subdued. Then flew off. Doh !!!

Thanks Pete. I took loads of pics of these last night and everyone failed. They literally don't stop running looking for a host Bee nest to lay their eggs on, and i have only found them in bright sun light which is a problem with metallic bugs. I was trying to use natural light but it wasn't helping so when the sun comes out again ill have another try using the flash. The first pic i did use flash on, but it was a caught specimen so slightly subdued. Then flew off. Doh !!!
Worth it in the end tho Andy the first shot is beautiful
Good luck when you try again

great set of shots, if you catch one again, chill it in the fridge for a few minutes , it will give you a few seconds for some shots, but be quick if its a hot day
it wont take it long to warm up.

As it just happens i just happen to have one that i prepared earlier ( Blue Peter Fan ) What i have done is to put it in a plastic box and put an ice pack under it. Then a small piece of wood in the centre, thin enough for it to walk on without going OOF to much. Leave for a few minutes then it's to cold to fly, but runs up and down the stick. It prefers to stay on the stick rather then walk onto the cold floor of the plastic box. You have to be ready for it to warm up but it gives you several minutes to take some shots.

Watch this space, as they say.:) for the results. Fingers crossed.

As it just happens i just happen to have one that i prepared earlier ( Blue Peter Fan ) What i have done is to put it in a plastic box and put an ice pack under it. Then a small piece of wood in the centre, thin enough for it to walk on without going OOF to much. Leave for a few minutes then it's to cold to fly, but runs up and down the stick. It prefers to stay on the stick rather then walk onto the cold floor of the plastic box. You have to be ready for it to warm up but it gives you several minutes to take some shots.

Watch this space, as they say.:) for the results. Fingers crossed.

Looking forward to seeing them,
as far as i know the last few are weevils, probably nettle weevils, They seem to come in a variety of colours, yours are very lush :)
Another cracking set.

Looking forward to seeing them,
as far as i know the last few are weevils, probably nettle weevils, They seem to come in a variety of colours, yours are very lush :)
Another cracking set.

Not sure Derek, these beetles are found near water, something like reed beetles and are normally Gold in colour. This one was quite red, as you can see but could have easily been a reflection. Perhaps from my Canon strap lol. :)

Back