Rugby 7s

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Debut try of a 400mm F2.8 after purchasing the first version A-FS Nikon from ebay in a lovely light grey. It was almost like being a Canon shooter again with the light coloured big prime. The lens is really good for a bit of glass near 20 years old. Far quicker to focus than my 200-400mm and the bokeh is lovely. I shot most of these at F3.2 but that was just to give a bit more leeway as I haven't had the chance to dial the lens in yet. I noticed that it was often grabbing the player at the back of the group and next time I'll shoot a smaller group of focus points. It's a long time since I shot sports so thought I would make sure I had a focus point on something and with a dog leash tied to my seat I was also multitasking. This was more a test to see if the lens was going to work out and I love it already. My lad's team played as poorly as I can remember but there are some cracking players and Rugby seems to be in rude health. I far prefer watching my son play rugby to football even though he is far better at the round ball game. He is about to score a try in number 3 and just about to be injured in no 4 with a superb tackle from someone even quicker than my lad.

East Lothian 7s by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back