Critique Rugby- Gala v Dundee

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
My local team were playing in Aberdeenshire yesterday, about 150 miles away and I didn;t have the time to follow them. Decided to try my hand at a league above where I normally shoot and headed down to Galashiels to watch them play Dundee. Good game, interesting to the very end in dead ball time.

I've tried to take on board the critique from last weeks showings and would again welcome constructive comments on this set. I did some from a low position but stool not arrived yet so had to get up when knees hurt (I'm getting to be an old dude). Comments on whether the crop is too tight or too loose would be helpful as I find I'm going a bit in circle for deciding on how tight it should be. Would also particularly welcome thoughts on 3 as to whether the action outweighs only 1 face visible- I think it's an interesting show but understand that it's a people shot

170909- Gala v Dundee HS-2903 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170909- Gala v Dundee HS-2821 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170909- Gala v Dundee HS-2709 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170909- Gala v Dundee HS-2520 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170909- Gala v Dundee HS-2504 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170909- Gala v Dundee HS-2211 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170909- Gala v Dundee HS-2046 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

170909- Gala v Dundee HS-3217 by Jim Tod, on Flickr

You've certainly captured some wonderful expressions there!

First things first. Gala won so bet you are happy (as a fellow pail merk, so am I).
Images are well light and sharp. You have actions shots.

It really depends what you are going to do with them. If they are for yourself only, if you are happy, nae probs.
All mine are for the programme and/or training. I am still hoping to get the real action/facial expression shot that wins me a prize.

Just notice you are not a Gala man. Hard luck some might say !!!

Last edited:
Oops, should have said I'm a Teri !

Cropping looks spot on to me and it is a very good set for of action and interest, well lit and sharp. 3 is good but more faces may tell more of a story. Where is the Dundee player's mates!. I think 4 is my favourite. In my head it is a try saving tackle and I really like the diagonal position of the players. Maybe a wee bit more space for the players heads. I just bought a Sigma 50mm F4.5 for Rugby. I love photographing my son playing and might give Lasswade a go this season as the senior are far easier to photograph, bigger and they keep a shape better.

1 good
2 good
3 doesn't really work for me
4 a bit tight in the top left but good otherwise
5 good
6 doesn't work
7 ok
8 good
9 good
10 ok

All in all a good set. What you should start thinking about are backgrounds. Where can you position yourself (ideally behind try-line) that not only has the best light, but the cleanest/best backgrounds. Examples of poor backgrounds = ugly billboards, cars/vans, empty seats. Ideally you want spectators to give a sense of occasion, but as mentioned, it's tricky as the sunlight dictates the best position more often than not.

All in all a good set. What you should start thinking about are backgrounds. Where can you position yourself (ideally behind try-line) that not only has the best light, but the cleanest/best backgrounds. Examples of poor backgrounds = ugly billboards, cars/vans, empty seats. Ideally you want spectators to give a sense of occasion, but as mentioned, it's tricky as the sunlight dictates the best position more often than not.

Thanks for the comments- much appreciated

It really depends what you are going to do with them.

You got me thinking- what am I going to do with them and I've started a thread on exactly what do amatuer sports togs do with their images.

Back