Rutter Falls - Cumbria

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Following on form my earlier post, a couple from Rutter Falls near Appleby in Cumbria on my way home yesterday. Both with OMD-EM1 and 12-40 F2.8 Pro with Lee Seven5 big stopper filter.Unfortunately it looks like the mill was having a bit of work done, so there are some post lying on the ground that I'd rather were not there, and when I get time, I might try to clone them out in Photoshop. The first image is shot from the bridge that's in the second image, and the second image shows the ford that crosses the brook, which was a bit of a raging torrent at the time. The 16:9 crop seemed to work best ?

I would have liked a slightly better view of the falls, but the brook was quite deep (and I didn't have waders), no access on the left bank, and people in the mill (which is a private rentable cottage), so I couldn't really go around any further without trespassing.

Last edited:

Great composition in #1. my pick!
…though I think I see a yellow cast!

great capture in num 1
been wanting to go there for a while your info is great thank you

A couple of nice shots Andrew, #1 would without doubt be my fav' with good composition, some nice movement in the water and spot on exposure.(y)

George.

#1 is a great shot Anrew, I think your right about the cloning..... Worth the effort I think.

Bit of critique here. The 2nd one is nearly excellent. There are a couple of things that could have made it better. The foliage on the left is messy and distracting, so being further forward to exclude it would help. The second thing is that the bridge is blocking the view of the waterfall, so if you had been lower down you could have framed it nicely under the bridge. In fact, placing the waterfall between the middle arch of the bridge would be rather excellent.

This would have entailed you getting your feet wet, but we've got to suffer for our art :). edit: just noted your comment on the depth of the water.

Last edited:
No 1 for me nice and compact with the falls taking centre stage.
GEORGE.

Shame no access to the left bank as I think moving a bit further up and using a shorter (wider) focal length would have given the image a bit more space to breath whilst fitting in all the good components to the shot. Not sure the 30 second exposure works on the water as on that type of movement it makes the water kind of stationary. I think maybe a max 1 second may produce better results...possibly. In any case its a pleasant enough shot.

Back