Sad News from Whipsnade

Gremlin

Houdini
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
European Brown Bear Wellington has been euthanised, she was the last of the old Brown bears :(

Asian elephant Azizah was euthanised this week, she has been limping on her front legs for a while now :(

Sad but I surmise proper (good?) animal husbandry will dictate when/if a decision to euthanise an animal is the most compassionate & appropriate action.

PS in my mid to late teens I did a voluntary Saturday job at a PDSA surgery.......the key personnel were a Veterinary Surgeon (a lovely lady of latter years) and a Veterinary Practitioner (he did not suffer fools gladly). As someone in my teens they were great examples of how to 'handle' folk as needed with compassion and/or firmer hand as required ;)

Last edited:
Sad but I surmise proper (good?) animal husbandry will dictate when/if a decision to euthanise an animal is the most compassionate & appropriate action.

Totally agree, 2 of my pet hates are people who keep their pets alive despite knowing they are suffering and rescues that have a non PTS policy, even for dogs
that can't be rehomed and are left shut in small kennels with a couple of short walks a day :(

Last edited:
DZP lost their old brown bear fairly recently too. https://www.dartmoorzoo.org.uk/goodbye-fudge/

As you say, far better to be allowed to go when life becomes an uncomfortable existence - if only we could extend the same courtesy to ourselves.

Back