Beginner Sailing away.

Edit My Images
Yes
These images were taking in the Tall Ships Regatta 2014 onboard TS Royalist. (Now decommissioned, and a new TS Royalist has been built, don't get confused. ;))
I took these images between working onboard the ship, this was the first time I had taken my camera (Nikon D3200) onto the ship, and the first time I have captured sailing in an image.

I am looking for ways to improve as I go away again at the end of next month and I am considering taking my camera again.

Many thanks,
Robyn.

z34395q.jpg

1F1rcle.jpg

Hi Robyn, that looks a lovely ship and it must have been quite an experience sailing on it. I am assuming your using the kit lens here as the shots don't look too wide angel. The problem is your shooting in a confined environment and need a lens with a wider point of view. Something along the lines of the Sigma 10-20mm zoom. I have never shot any images on ships and would imagine it too be quite challenging. On the first you have used the rigging well and the boom on the right in both shots leads the eye in well to the sails. Use fellow crewmen to add a focal point and give a sense of the size of the ship/rigging. The hardest thing to do as far as I can see is getting the horizon straight, the second shot shows it sloping. Although if you include it in the shot it can show the quite excessive angles these vessels lean at. I would search on flickr for this style of shots and get some ideas. You have done very well so far though.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

The lens I used was a tamron 18-200mm but the images were taken at 18mm. Mainly due to a lack of space on ship, and any further you would have lost what it was meant to be, but maybe that could have been good also? Who knows now.
The point on the horizon could have been achieved possibly if we were not in a race. As the ship was only under sail at this time, no power what so ever. Therefore creating more of an incline on the ship. But I understand what you mean, and both varies may look great!

I will look on Flickr now, thank you for suggesting that.
Again, many thanks for replying, all information has been taken on board.

Thanks,
Robyn.

oSB3Wmq.jpg

Here is one I took on film, I don't know if I am allowed to place it here, and my scanner isn't too great so it has come out a little bitty. But I would appreciate any feedback.

Nice :) I was on this for two weeks back in 1994 or 1995 I think for the Tall Ships thing too :) I remember when I booked it that most slots were only a week long but the stint for the Regatta was two weeks.

We sailed from Penzance and across to St Malo and then down to Brest before heading back across the Chanel to Poole. It was an awesome two weeks despite the rather cramped spaces! I had a few pics too with some cheap little film camera and I think I still have those shots somewhere but no scanner anyway.

A wider lens is what you should be looking for I guess to get some shots that include more of the ship. The best shots of her will always be from a separate boat or on a jetty with a good view but there's good shots to be had on her too I'm sure. Maybe up in the rigging?

What an amazing ship! I worked as a professional sailor for 3 years and always struggled to get some good shots when I was on the boat!

Back