Salisbury Cathedral

Your rendition is pretty decent but still needs keystoning.

Just wondering it's leaning a little to the right?

Lovely shot and I like the strong colours - good processing. I like the light and shadows on the grass.

I know this scene well, as I live in Andover. I've wanted to shot it for ages but it's been covered in scaffolding for ages. I agree with the others, it looks a bit wonky, but still pleasing image.

Ok Alan,

1, You did not have to change your legitimate restriction on edits as you could have
permitted this one specifically in the previous post. Now, since you may turn it back
to "NO", if you do, edit in that case your previous post so to avoid me any discomfort.

Last edited:

Ok Alan,

1, You did not have to change your legitimate restriction on edits as you could have
permitted this one specifically in the previous post. Now, since you may turn it back
to "NO", if you do, edit in that case your previous post so to avoid me any discomfort.

2, I performed the keystone adjustment as suggested and, since I already had my
hands in the grease, I also took the liberty to tweak the WB… just tell me if I went
too far with the liberty!

3, Keystoning is a great tool but it comes with at a price: pixel loss, as you can see:

Salisbury%20Cathedralpp.jpg

Now it really does look good. A great PP effort has lifted this image above the norm. Nice one.

Ok Alan,

2, I performed the keystone adjustment as suggested and, since I already had my
hands in the grease, I also took the liberty to tweak the WB… just tell me if I went
too far with the liberty!

3, Keystoning is a great tool but it comes with at a price: pixel loss, as you can see:

Thanks for taking the time Kodiak. Don't worry about the edit thing - I will fix it
The keystone adjustment looks good - is that done in LR? or how?
As to WB, I think that the picture now pops a bit more but to my eyes slightly too green on the building - I remember the stone as being a bit warmer than that and the moss/lichen a little less prominent. This is the west wall and the north wall (round to the left) was a lot darker.
But all useful stuff and i am grateful. (y)

As to WB, I think that the picture now pops a bit more but to my eyes slightly too green on the building - I remember the stone as being a bit warmer than that and the moss/lichen a little less prominent. This is the west wall and the north wall (round to the left) was a lot darker.
The green on the building is coming from the large area of green grass…
but it does not affect the clouds!
As for the brightness of the scene, this is your rendering privilege, I was
mainly demonstrating the Keystone adjustment tool.
The final rendition by QC looks cheap due to the excessive use of vibrance
This is an interesting comment…
as "vibrance" does not exist in CO9!
Try something else!

No, as I said many times elsewhere, I am not a CC client and sold
my master collection CS6 and don't plan to going back.

This exercise was performed in CO9. You should try it as there is
a free 30 day trial to download.

Thanks for taking the time Kodiak. Don't worry about the edit thing - I will fix it
But all useful stuff and i am grateful. (y)

Having spent an insiders afternoon at the stonemasons workshop at the back end of last year, I would agree that the stone doesn't now look quite right on Kodiak's edit. The stonemasons and conservationists are very keen to ensure the new stone matches with the older and actually treat it with a 'milk' solution to ensure the weathering is even, but that does not make it green. They are also very choosy about which quarry the stone comes from.

The scaffolding will be there for a couple of years yet, at the rear. IIRC the renovation of the Cathedral commenced following a report into its condition back in 1966, and it is due to complete in 2017/18 if all goes to plan. At which time the stonemasons yard will be transformed into something else, as they don't intend commencing another fifty year renovation programme just yet.

A fascinating building.

Well. Whatever you've done with your "quality control" edits, you've managed to ruin it...as usual.

…as usual…/

Whoa guys ..... I am grateful for both of your inputs. (y)

I don't want you guys falling out over one of my shots. :ty:

Steve I have glanced at your referred post and will look at in more detail. You were most helpful on a shot of mine of the Langdales.

It can take a couple of goes to get the Verticals vertical on this type of building. It looks like the outer edges of the walls have been corrected to vertical on the above image but in fact the walls actually step inwards at each cornice so that the top sections of the walls are not perpendicular with the bottom sections. The process is not helped by the fact that a building of this age may have moved a bit and the Verticals are no longer no longer vertical.

I've found the best way to correct things is to make sure the image is correctly rotated first. To do this use a guide line or grid and concentrate on the verticals in the middle of the image, not the middle of the building. Rotate the building until this centre section is vertical, you may have to adjust it by 0.1 of a degree increments to get this right. When you have got the rotation right then move onto correcting the verticals of the outer edges of the building using the vertical adjustment tools. If you don't get the rotation right then the vertical correction will always look a bit off.

Here is my attempt, the red line indicates the vertical and you can see the wall moves inwards towards the top but the individual vertical sections are vertical, hope that helps.
p1672472589-4.jpg

Back