In Memoriam
Name
Les
Edit My Images
Yes
Canon 7Ds Mk2, 135mmf2 lens
1/1600sec@f8, ISO500

7D2_1808s.jpg

Nice shot from, presumably, Stainforth Foss. Just up the road from where we're moving to next month!

Nice shot from, presumably, Stainforth Foss. Just up the road from where we're moving to next month!

Yep, Stainforth Foss, and lucky you, a beautiful part of the Dales :)

Lovely shot, never seen salmon leaping but must be a wonderful sight. We stayed in Stainforth for a week in the summer, it was a stunning part of the country.

One of my photographic ambitions, that. Very jealous.
Lovely capture, too.

Did you see many other leapers? Did you have to wait long?

One of my photographic ambitions, that. Very jealous.
Lovely capture, too.

Did you see many other leapers? Did you have to wait long?

I was there for an hour, and saw 3 'leaps' in that hour, the previous time , I waited 2 hours for the first leap, and then another 5 leaps in the hour that followed, so a patient waiting game.

One thing I did notice, if a salmon 'lept' in one place (and failed) it seemed to wait around 10-15 minutes (gathering it's strength I assume) before making another leap in exactly the same place, so I would then focus my camera (on a tripod) on that place, waiting with finger on the shutter for the next leap, that's how I managed the image above :)

Very good shot, I can imagine the timing and framing must have been very challenging.

I was there for an hour, and saw 3 'leaps' in that hour, the previous time , I waited 2 hours for the first leap, and then another 5 leaps in the hour that followed, so a patient waiting game.

One thing I did notice, if a salmon 'lept' in one place (and failed) it seemed to wait around 10-15 minutes (gathering it's strength I assume) before making another leap in exactly the same place, so I would then focus my camera (on a tripod) on that place, waiting with finger on the shutter for the next leap, that's how I managed the image above :)

Thanks.

The closest salmon river to me is the Dove on the Derbys/Staffs border. I keep meaning to get myself out and stake out one of the weirs - I'll never shoot one until I do! I did actually catch a parr (young salmon before it leaves the river for the sea) on rod and line when grayling fishing the river once. Also caught a sea trout there once, as well.

Thanks.

The closest salmon river to me is the Dove on the Derbys/Staffs border. I keep meaning to get myself out and stake out one of the weirs - I'll never shoot one until I do! I did actually catch a parr (young salmon before it leaves the river for the sea) on rod and line when grayling fishing the river once. Also caught a sea trout there once, as well.
Great shot Les, very well captured. Didn't need to go so far afield, I saw salmon jumping the weir in otley last year, maybe not as pretty environs though.

Back