Non UK Salt Mines - Krakow

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to Krakow on Friday to meet the missus who is working there this week.

We've got a tour of the Salt Mines booked for Saturday.

Just wondering if anyone on here has been?

I can see on their website that you can buy a permit to take photos but can anyone tell me if you can either take a tripod or use a flash or both?

Thanks in advance

No flash allowed and you will be covering some ground trekking the mines, with not a lot of stopping time to set up a tripod. The guides are typically Polish, very efficient and very swift. There are a few chambers and chapels where you could set up properly, but they are the exception rather than the rule. I shot most of my time in there with a 35mm at f1.8 and f2.8, so your 24-70 should be great.
However that being said, there is generally quite good lighting in there if you crank your ISO and don't fret too much about grainy images. Its also pretty warm down there, t-shirt weather, when it was 2 inch of snow outside.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that. I think that's made my mind up then. No tripod and no flash. Just the 24-70 and auto ISO and hope.

Understand what you mean about grainy images. I will be taking my Canon 6dmkII and I think that handles low light as good as any, so fingers crossed.

Interesting about the warmth of the place. My missus has already taken my clothes in her case and i've packed my Rab super warm puffa jacket as it's going to get colder over there next week - I guess she'll have to carry it whilst I do my photography thing then :)

Agree with the post above - just up the ISO and you’ll be fine. It’s not dark. I went about nine years ago and took a tripod in. I did use it a couple of times, before it dawned on me that I didn’t need it, and the guide wasn’t bothered. There were only 5 people in our group though. It’s a really interesting place.

Enjoy Krakow - it’s a picturesque and fantastic city and, as it’s fairly small, an absolute pleasure to just wander around.

Last edited:
Back