San Quirico D'Orcia - Golden Tuscany

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Lots of driving. LOTS of driving. Thats what holidays are for right??
After a short stay in the Dolomites, we headed down to Tuscany for a few days relaxation.
I'd eyed up this location before I arrived, but I was super lucky to find that it was a mere 200 metres from the Spa Centre we were staying at.
I only got one pop at a sunrise here, on the first morning, as it was subsequently cloudy in the mornings, but with a little mist in the valleys, and some pretty sweet autumn light. I think I'd like to get a return trip booked in for springtime, when there is more colour in the landscape, and supposedly, the chances of mist are a little higher.

Val D'Orcia - Morning Tranquility by Matty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome

"Cracking" shot Matty, nuff said.(y)

George.

Yep, cannae beat a good road trip. Its a lovely image but I feel a little more space at the bottom and a little less sky would suit it better. I know a lot of people like misty landscapes, its nice enough but honestly I'd have prefered it clearer in the near distance.

"Cracking" shot Matty, nuff said.(y)

George.

Thanks George, it was just about worth dragging myself out of bed for the 4th sunrise on the bounce I think!

Yep, cannae beat a good road trip. Its a lovely image but I feel a little more space at the bottom and a little less sky would suit it better. I know a lot of people like misty landscapes, its nice enough but honestly I'd have prefered it clearer in the near distance.

Cheers Steve, the foreground below the property was a bit of an agricultural jumble, which I've cropped out to tidy up the shot. I'd have liked to go a little wider, but I wanted the simple composition.
I'm sure I've got some other versions and different compositions to look through, but I've not had chance. I do have some 50-50 reflections from the Dolomites tho just for you

Thanks George, it was just about worth dragging myself out of bed for the 4th sunrise on the bounce I think!

Cheers Steve, the foreground below the property was a bit of an agricultural jumble, which I've cropped out to tidy up the shot. I'd have liked to go a little wider, but I wanted the simple composition.
I'm sure I've got some other versions and different compositions to look through, but I've not had chance. I do have some 50-50 reflections from the Dolomites tho just for you

50:50 reflections, now you are talking. Forget all this misty stuff, that is pretending...50:50 lakes/mountains reflections, now THATs photography ;)

I had a theory there was something below the line you didn't want us to see. The large empty sky would work if you are selling the shot for a travel company, they can fill the space with text etc. If its just for printing, I might suggest a wider aspect just losing some off the top.

50:50 reflections, now you are talking. Forget all this misty stuff, that is pretending...50:50 lakes/mountains reflections, now THATs photography ;)

I had a theory there was something below the line you didn't want us to see. The large empty sky would work if you are selling the shot for a travel company, they can fill the space with text etc. If its just for printing, I might suggest a wider aspect just losing some off the top.

Yeah, in retrospect the top could stand to lose a little. I generally just work on the standard 16:9 crop as my most letterboxy option, but I think this would work with some chopped! I dunno whether it will be a printer, maybe just one that languishes on the hard drive.

Lovely Matty maybe a little off the top? ps keep driving! ;)

Haha, cheers Kevin, yeah, duly noted that the top could lose a touch. Fear not, I've got many more miles planned for the coming months!!

Beautiful! I agree that it could lose a little off the top.

Thanks Jeremy, a reworked crop will be sorted out! Much appreciated

Thats nice and what I was thinking of when travelling along an Italian motorway on a coach.

The light is great and it's a stunning view but I wonder if you have any with a bit more land at the bottom and less sky? I feel this is quite unbalanced with the best of the light and landscape at the bottom of the frame and would like to see more of it

The light is great and it's a stunning view but I wonder if you have any with a bit more land at the bottom and less sky? I feel this is quite unbalanced with the best of the light and landscape at the bottom of the frame and would like to see more of it

This.

You will have to go back and can take me with you!

Love it mate, the mist really adds to the image with some great layers.

Cheers Neil, I'd have gone for a little more mist in the valleys, but I'll take it as it was. Cheers dude

If only I did! Unfortunately the foreground didn't really allow for any more space at the bottom. I would have certainly preferred this, but it would have included a lot of unnecessary distractions. You're right though, it does feel cramped, but unfortunately, I couldn't avoid this, without some crazy cloning work, which isn't my style, and isn't something I'd do. Thank you for the feedback though!

This.

You will have to go back and can take me with you!

Haha, I'm hoping to go in Spring. Think it would be nice to get the lush vibrant greens to complement the landscape. To be honest, for me, the Dolomites hold a lot more appeal than Tuscany, I definitely find more enjoyment out in the mountains!!

Back