Sat Nav Tales....

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
Come on, share your funny (or not so funny) tales of when your Sat Nav took you the rather 'scenic route'...

I have just returned from Reading. Got there ok, no problems. Left the Sat Nav set to take me home via the shortest route, which was a VERY different route to the way I got there. All was going well until I was directed through a housing estate then up a lane :cautious: back to the main road. The lane started off like a lovely little country lane with houses all along it, but then started to get quite narrow, then turned into a dirt track :eek: By this time, there was nothing I could do but proceed as there was nowhere I could turn around. The dirt track was up-hill (ok, a slight incline, but it was wet, and very muddy :p). All I could hear was the bottom of my car scraping along, and my heart pounding as I tried to dodge the deep water filled pot holes. I eventually got back onto the main road and decided to find my own way home then. That was quite scary to say the least :annoyed:

On the one occasion I've used sat nav, it demanded I go down a 'trams only' route in sheffield city centre. obviously i didn't fancy it, so i went the only other way i could go, at which point the sat nav threw a major paddy and recalculated another equally bizarre route.

remember my brother once telling me he ended up on somebody's driveway thanks to the wonder of sat nav.

I was driving in a rural area somewhere near Bristol Airport and my tom tom took me along a narrow country lane and told me to take a right at a cross road, fair enough i thought, when i got there it was actually a T-junction and the 4th "road" it wanted me to take would have required me to get out of my car, open a gate to a farmer's field and then proceed accross said field :LOL:

I've 'field tested' a couple of different types of sat nav software and found the best by far to be TomTom, my TT5 has never led me astray. Many people don't realise though that they do need to be updated every so often to take account of changes in the roads etc.

the only thing my tomtom has ever done wrong was to take me off the M6 and put me onto the 42......only to take me off at the first junction and put me back onto the 6 :(

Mad, but maybe it wanted me to tour the midlands :puke:

the only time my tomtom threw me a curve was in Manchester, in among some very tall buildings where it lost the satellites and couldnt work out where it was ! lol soon sorted itself out though !

Have heard some horror stories about satnav though ! lol Worse one was people getting taken up a country lane similar to minimeezes one, to find the road suddenly stop, on the edge of a valley ! front wheels hanging over the edge etc ! lol

Have a friend whos navigation in the car took him off the M6 then over the top of kirkstone pass - as it thought there was an accident on the M6 just north of Kendal. How we laughed :D

Its worth noting - GPS is great in the lakes until you are alongside a fell - also dont' let it choose the route - just use it to know when to turn - otherwise you might need the mountain rescue ;)

Not got lost with my TomTom but nearly lost it WITH TomTom :bat: .

Just spent £30 upgrading the map on my TomTom One to find that the new one is 230Mb & my memory card is 128Mb :bang: .

I've never used satnav but do a really good job of getting lost by just reading a map or doing the "man thing" and refusing to stop and ask for directions lol :nono: :LOL:

I drive a truck for a living and could make your hair stand on end with some of my sat nav stories. :shake:

Lost track of the number of times it has sent me up narrow dirt tracks.

The sooner they make sat nav software for trucks, the better.

Is it not just a case of setting it to fastest not shortest? shortest will take you the shortest way no matter what! fastest should keep you on main roads, thats how it works with my Sony one anywho - no dirt tracks for me yet

Is it not just a case of setting it to fastest not shortest? shortest will take you the shortest way no matter what! fastest should keep you on main roads, thats how it works with my Sony one anywho - no dirt tracks for me yet

No - I usually do have the TomTom set to fastest, and it often still insists on navigating me through country lanes.

I use Navigator 4.4 Professional Europe on my laptop and find it to be excellent, not had any major problems, it knows every postcode ive put in it and has directed me to every corner of the UK flawlessly. Just spotted there is a v6 out so I will order that now... cheers for the thread or I wouldnt have known about it. :)

Back