Wild Saturday Peregrine

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Lovely day today, but in typical style this chap (I believe it is a chap), was 200ft away so didn't make it easy for me!!
Nevertheless, over a 2 hour period he did take to the skies a couple of times for some in-flight shots :) Was hoping for some hunting, but didn't materialise.
I know the pics are a little noisy, and I didn't quite have the speed up enough (all at 1/1000), but I just love these birds... and find it quite a privilege to be able to sit and watch them quite openly :)

View attachment 35456

View attachment 35457

View attachment 35458

View attachment 35459

View attachment 35460

You need more shutter speed for these Gav.

What do you recommend? I have to say, it's the first time I got them in the air, usually I've seen them static.
I thought I'd "nailed it", but when I got home, it was rather clear 1/1000 wasn't quite up to scratch - I have 200 other shots which either had focus blur or motion blur :confused: lol

What do you recommend? I have to say, it's the first time I got them in the air, usually I've seen them static.
I thought I'd "nailed it", but when I got home, it was rather clear 1/1000 wasn't quite up to scratch - I have 200 other shots which either had focus blur or motion blur :confused: lol
Depends on lens and distance to be honest mate.

If they are at full chat, then I try to achieve 1/2000, if they are just gliding about 1/1000 is enough, but the problem is the sheer speed they can change direction and speed. I`m sure you have noticed that.

I don`t know the set up down there, but keep watching them and you will begin to recognise habits, that may help you get a bit nearer.

Which lens are you using ATM Gavin?

Depends on lens and distance to be honest mate.

If they are at full chat, then I try to achieve 1/2000, if they are just gliding about 1/1000 is enough, but the problem is the sheer speed they can change direction and speed. I`m sure you have noticed that.

I don`t know the set up down there, but keep watching them and you will begin to recognise habits, that may help you get a bit nearer.

Listen to him. He knows what he's talking about when it comes to Peregrines. That apart he's an @rse.o_O

@fracster

In their current location I can't get any closer, it's private (contractor) property and "condemned", so my current view spot is the closest I can get.
However, according to the focal distance thing on the camera they vary in distance from me from about 70ft to 200ft.

My current set up is a 7D with a sigma 300-800 (was on Manual at f8, 1/1000)
but I'm imminently about to sell the lens to go towards a 600 f4 - I'm hoping to replace the 7D next year.

I have just popped over to the site this morning, but apart from being rather cloudy outside, there is no sign of them (do they favour 'sunny' days?!!)

This time of year they are ruled by food mate,assuming they area pair and are nesting. She will be sat and he will hunt.

If you get there and he has fed himself and the Mrs, then he will just be lazy all day.

Best time is when the young are leaving the nest,the parents entice them off the nest by stashing food or even flying around with it whilst calling them.

Ours are about 3 weeks off that up here.

Cheers Ade (y)

They are a nesting pair, I know that much, and indeed you're correct, she does appear to be absent.
I had a long chat (for the second time) with a local pigeon fancier who keeps an eye on the peregrine movements (for obvious reasons) and he said that she hasn't been around for a couple of weeks, it's just the male, and apparently he has become increasingly absent recently too.

Nevertheless, the next 'nice morning' we have, I'll head out with some increased speeds and see what I can do :)

Cheers Ade (y)

They are a nesting pair, I know that much, and indeed you're correct, she does appear to be absent.
I had a long chat (for the second time) with a local pigeon fancier who keeps an eye on the peregrine movements (for obvious reasons) and he said that she hasn't been around for a couple of weeks, it's just the male, and apparently he has become increasingly absent recently too.

Nevertheless, the next 'nice morning' we have, I'll head out with some increased speeds and see what I can do :)
That sounds ominous Gavin.

Hope all is well with them, keep us informed how they go please pal.

Back