Save as Jpeg

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
Yes
I have photoshop cc2019 and every time i try to use save as it opens as a psd and i have to change it to jpeg.Is there a way so that it will safe as jpeg every time.I am using a MacBook .

Not by default as far as I know, there are scrips and shortcuts, there is a huge amount in photoshop that’s a bit of a pain, like the enter key in an action doesn’t always work, we have had cups resting on the enter key while running hundreds of images through scripts :)

@Pick

If your idea is to change the default .pds format to .jpg format, so that every time you save a new file, you hope it will save in .jpg as default instead of the usual .pds, then I am sorry, as far as I know, it can't be done.

Well, not with Adobe Paintshop. I do remember when I had Windows 3.1 (or 98), I could change the Windows Paint's default .bmp format for something like .tif format, but Paintshop is not a simple painting software like Windows Paint, because Paintshop is a complex software. It use layers, it allows adjustments to be changed when you open the file again, it remembers original settings and adjustments, unlike Windows Paint which once you open the file, you can't change the adjustments back to original settings. Hence Paintshop use a document file not an image file.

When you save a new file for the first time, you will always have to pull down the Save as type and change to .jpg to work on a JPEG image file instead of a Paintshop document file.

If your using a mouse then that would be painful, get a Wacom, and set up the onscreen menu for what you need, it speeds things up massively, I had to do this on Friday with 560 images that needed a grey background, I would still be there now with a mouse :)

In the house on my Mac Pro i open a raw file and do some adjustments and then send it to photoshop for some more edits and when finished i save as and it opens as Jpeg and save it.When i try the same on my MacBook and edit the raw and send it to photoshop and edit and then save it it saves as a psd and i have to change it to jpeg every time.It gets annoying if i have a couple of pix to do quickly

The default FORMAT setting for "Save As" is based on the format of the image that you are working on.
So if you are working on a PSD file the "Save As" default is PSD.
If you are working on a TIFF file the "Save As" default is TIFF.
And if you are working on a JPEG file the "Save As" default is JPEG.
but why is both mac's different

Just record an action for what you want to do ('save as jpg') - setting a shortcut key combo to suit? Thus bypassing repeated use of the menus.

Consider though with this method where the files are being saved to ...

So if you are working on a PSD file the "Save As" default is PSD.
It'll likely also offer a default of psd if the file has layers, even if it's a tif, unless you tell it differently.

Yo
Just record an action for what you want to do ('save as jpg') - setting a shortcut key combo to suit? Thus bypassing repeated use of the menus.

Consider though with this method where the files are being saved to ...

You can also fall foul of the file name being the same and simply overwriting one file with another, it’s a bit hit and miss.

I have found out what i have done, the Mac Pro is in 8 bit so saves as Jpeg. the MacBook is 16bit and saves to psd.

Back