Critique Save the Date/Engagement Shoot

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Some good friends of mine have asked me to shoot their wedding and as its not til next year we decided on a early engagement shoot / save the date shoot, here is a few for critique. The rest of the shoot can be seen on my blog here

hayley-chris_005_2x.jpg

hayley-chris_008_2x.jpg

hayley-chris_023_2x.jpg
hayley-chris_027_2x.jpg

That's a really strong set, always helps having an attractive couple but the posing and composition in all of them looks excellent to me. Post processing looks bang on for the style of shoot as well. I'm guessing the first shot here is Brenizer method shot, how many frames and at what focal length have you used if you don't mind me asking?

That's a really strong set, always helps having an attractive couple but the posing and composition in all of them looks excellent to me. Post processing looks bang on for the style of shoot as well. I'm guessing the first shot here is Brenizer method shot, how many frames and at what focal length have you used if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks Craig, yep you guessed right [emoji1] The first image was shot at 85mm @ 1.4 and it's about 15 images...

Very nice set. Nice and clean and very sharp digging the p.p too

Love these. Great set and nice warm feel to them. Great connection between the couple and nice compostions. I'm sure you'll do a great job at the wedding.

Excellent stuff IMO, Graeme :)

All I can think of to add to that is, with reference to the full works ...

The double heads-up shot would have worked better if he hadn't tilted his up so much (i.e. it was more like hers)

Next but one (him forward of her) would be a lot stronger with (and is a natural for) a tight crop

The shot square on to those green gates has everything right, which AFAIC is rare in variations on this particular theme . This one won't date as quickly as most.

"Gazing across the table" - I guess that was the best you could do about that reflection, but zapping that hanging lug on the rhs of the frame would be worthwhile

Headshot of her (the one after the bench and 2.7.16) - he'll probably like it lots but for me (and for potential clients) it's a near miss on account of it's all Scouse brows and eyeliner. It needs at least a little eyeball.

I'd also rate the noses shot which comes next as "close but no cigar" on the basis that there isn't enough flare for it to be the classic SoCal flare shot, so to my way thinking it's gone off half-cocked

Having said all that, you really do have some stonkin' good portraits in that lot, with which I'd have been very happy indeed.

Given what you had to go at, it's actually one of the best pre-wedding shoots I've seen in a long time.

Excellent stuff IMO, Graeme :)

All I can think of to add to that is, with reference to the full works ...

The double heads-up shot would have worked better if he hadn't tilted his up so much (i.e. it was more like hers)

Next but one (him forward of her) would be a lot stronger with (and is a natural for) a tight crop

The shot square on to those green gates has everything right, which AFAIC is rare in variations on this particular theme . This one won't date as quickly as most.

"Gazing across the table" - I guess that was the best you could do about that reflection, but zapping that hanging lug on the rhs of the frame would be worthwhile

Headshot of her (the one after the bench and 2.7.16) - he'll probably like it lots but for me (and for potential clients) it's a near miss on account of it's all Scouse brows and eyeliner. It needs at least a little eyeball.

I'd also rate the noses shot which comes next as "close but no cigar" on the basis that there isn't enough flare for it to be the classic SoCal flare shot, so to my way thinking it's gone off half-cocked

Having said all that, you really do have some stonkin' good portraits in that lot, with which I'd have been very happy indeed.

Given what you had to go at, it's actually one of the best pre-wedding shoots I've seen in a long time.

Thanks Sid, some really good thorough and honest feedback as normal [emoji1] you always seem to pick up on the little details that I miss and just don't see, i must of looked at these images hundreds of times.... Always learning and I'm still yet to nail the flare shot. [emoji1]

... you always seem to pick up on the little details that I miss and just don't see ...

That's simply because you're so close to the snaps. I don't have your involvement with them. I just see the pictures for what they are.

That, plus I spent so long getting inside our own clients' heads that I can't now easily look at wedding pictures from any viewpoint other than that of a potential customer.

Ref those little details though, in my experience it's surprising how often brides will notice things like the hanging lug on that picture frame. Cloning out noticeable stuff like that takes no time at all but it can make the whole picture faster to read - and therefore the viewer's connection with it that much stronger.

And if you think that's so much bol locks, fair enough - but I know it worked for us ...

;)

Very nice set of photos there. the only thing I'd change is that the last image doesn't seem to match the colour tone of the first 3, so looks a bit out of place

Sorry am not qualified to add crit and don't normaly look at any images to do with weddings but I did look at the blog photos and am well in awe at the amount of great poses & location choices you have managed to capture.

Fab.

Gaz

Last edited:
Sorry am not qualified to add crit and don't normaly look at any images to do with weddings but I did look at the blog photos and am well in awe at the amount of great poses & location choices you have mananged to capture.

Fab.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, appreciate your comments it's nice to know people like my work as I'm pretty new to the wedding genre and always learning :)

Nice enough I would have cloned out the white patch as it draws the eye- I do like the PP though

like this- hope you don't mind?

Les ;)

Thanks Craig, yep you guessed right [emoji1] The first image was shot at 85mm @ 1.4 and it's about 15 images...
I was with the man himself last week. He'd have been proud of that one! Great set.

Back