Scafells Light

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Took a punt off nightshift this morning on some interesting clouds around the Scafells - stuck it out waiting for some decent light to creep through which it fortunately did in the end. The second one looks a little on the dark side althoughi'm taking this shot from underneath trees:

Scafell Light by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Scafells Light by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Love that light on the side of the mountain in the first one, and the rays from the clouds too. Really moody stuff
Thanks Carl, been trying to get a shot like the first one for ages but haven't had a telephoto, really gives it a bit of scale as it's the highest ground in England and I can't do it justice shooting wide all the time

Hi Stuart. #1 is a beauty but the blown clouds is really off putting for me. For this reason i would crop the top to just where the mountain enters the frame on the LHS. I'd also crop out the dark line of water at the bottom which would give you a good pano kinda shot.

Hi Stuart. #1 is a beauty but the blown clouds is really off putting for me. For this reason i would crop the top to just where the mountain enters the frame on the LHS. I'd also crop out the dark line of water at the bottom which would give you a good pano kinda shot.
Cheers, was a bit on the fence with the blown bits to be honest as you'll know that's what the eye sees when it's this contrasty - quick edit (forget the colours), any better?

STU_4704-Edit crop.jpg

Great example of not always going as wide you can. I'm yet to use my telephoto for a landscape.

Much prefere the original #1 just below the blown highlights and top of the hill RHS Stuart, I can then see for sure why you hit the trigger,always a pain in the Butt! this time of the year and thank you for sharing
Kevin

Last edited:
Much prefere the original #1 just below the blown highlights and top of the hill RHS Stuart, I can then see for sure why you hit the trigger,always a pain in the Butt! this time of the year and thank you for sharing
Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I like a lot of the stuff you've done with similar light so was nice to get a shot of my own like this.

As for the water pouring off the hills in #1 love it! reminds me of many times being out and especially when thats all you can hear during or after a sunrise, great place to be!

Last edited:
No.1 is a cracker apart from those annoying blown bits. I'm pretty sure you can borrow some of the fluffy bits on the left and create something less eye grabbing in the top right with the clone tool easy enough, I know it's cheating a bit but it really would finish off that shot nicely, especially as the rest of it is stunning!

As for the water pouring off the hills in #1 love it! reminds me of many times being out and especially when thats all you can hear during or after a sunrise, great place to be!
It's absolutely poured down here for the past few days so a lot of the tributaries around wasdale are really flowing, those ones on the side of Lingmell in the shot must be really flowing to see them that clear from this distance, might have a walk up there tomorrow I'm sure they'll be a waterfall shot somewhere

No.1 is a cracker apart from those annoying blown bits. I'm pretty sure you can borrow some of the fluffy bits on the left and create something less eye grabbing in the top right with the clone tool easy enough, I know it's cheating a bit but it really would finish off that shot nicely, especially as the rest of it is stunning!
Thanks Alan yeah I'll post up an edit tomorrow when I'm back home, i quite liked them initially as they show the intensity of the light coming through but they can be a little distracting.

It's absolutely poured down here for the past few days so a lot of the tributaries around wasdale are really flowing, those ones on the side of Lingmell in the shot must be really flowing to see them that clear from this distance, might have a walk up there tomorrow I'm sure they'll be a waterfall shot somewhere

Indeed always nice to get up close and personnel too, if you are? remember the tin pot (helmet) lol if I had a pound for everytime I have slipped climbing waterfalls.

Two lovely shots Stuart. No1 is my pick.

This was my original thought for the crop, Stuart. For me, it concentrates on the interesting part whilst removing the distracting blown bits. If the sky can be worked on with PS then the original would work fantastically.

This was my original thought for the crop, Stuart. For me, it concentrates on the interesting part whilst removing the distracting blown bits. If the sky can be worked on with PS then the original would work fantastically.

Well I've managed to tone the sky down so it's less distracting, I still like some of the highlights in the sky as it shows the intense contrast and I thought it was important to keep the top of the fells in the shot as it keeps the scale better, hopefully this is an improvement:

Scafell Light by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

That first shot is fantastic, and I suspect the only people worried about the blown sky are other photographers. The second edit you produced (just above) has less impact than the original with it's super-contrasty sky and the brilliant section of landscape in the middle of dark hills.

That first shot is fantastic, and I suspect the only people worried about the blown sky are other photographers. The second edit you produced (just above) has less impact than the original with it's super-contrasty sky and the brilliant section of landscape in the middle of dark hills.
Cheers - I think the happy medium is probably just to clone/tone down the super bright spot in the sky in the first one then probably leave the rest alone. I won't post any more edits as I've probably bored people enough lol :LOL:

Fantastic shot. Is it me or is the green slightly off?
It's pretty close to what I remember, white balance was warmed a touch though I've not really touched saturation, it's absolutely pelted down here lately and when the sun shines that intensely on the one spot which is soaking wet it can look almost a bit too green so I know what you mean. Everything down there at the moment is green, I should add viewing it on my phone the colours look way different to my monitor

Last edited:
Back