SCAM ALERT

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
There's a type of scam going around where you receive a phone call but it only rings once, and even if you answer it quickly enough there's no-one there. They are always international numbers seemingly from all over the World

The scammers want you to reply to find out who's calling you - they are premium-rate numbers and you'll quickly find yourself pressing Option 1, 3, 7 etc. never speaking to anyone, it's all automated and designed to keep you online as long as possible – YES I fell for it once, now I get up to 5 calls a day from t***s hoping I'll call again

My network, O2, are aware and did refund me automatically, but the calls keep coming

Here's where my last ones have supposedly come from, international codes in order...

672 Antarctica!

960 Maldives

256 Alabama

881 Guam

370 Lithuania

995 Georgia

224 Guinea

886 Taiwan

670 Northern Mariana Islands

678 Atlanta

993 – this is the only one Google knows is spam!

The above has been the last 4 days

So if you get a missed call from overseas that you're not expecting DON'T CALL BACK

Also block the number of your mobile phone allows.

I get calls to my mobile phone that ring 4 times then hang up. The numbers are all from Chinavirusland (Google recognises them, but not the actual caller). I put them on my Block list.
On my landline I have Truecall set to reject all international calls (obviously that will not suit everyone).

After a scam call I go to one of the "Who called me? ' websites. If it's not a silent call I will hear what the caller has to say so I can make a post on the 'Who called me' websites so others are aware of what a call was about if they didn't answer it or put the phone down before hearing what the caller had to say.The callers number stays on our phone. If it expires I do a 1471.

I had a call last week and the chap asked how I was doing.. 'Got a bit of a cough,not feeling too good" I told him. "I'm calling from BT Outreach regarding your computer being compromised " Me.."Oh.. you don't want to know about my cough then ?..He put the phone down.:)

After a scam call I go to one of the "Who called me? ' websites. If it's not a silent call I will hear what the caller has to say so I can make a post on the 'Who called me' websites so others are aware of what a call was about if they didn't answer it or put the phone down before hearing what the caller had to say.The callers number stays on our phone. If it expires I do a 1471.

I had a call last week and the chap asked how I was doing.. 'Got a bit of a cough,not feeling too good" I told him. "I'm calling from BT Outreach regarding your computer being compromised " Me.."Oh.. you don't want to know about my cough then ?..He put the phone down.:)

Oh, you wag you....! Obviously a scam, who on earth are BT Outreach ;)

Does anyone have any funnies about how they deal with them ? We don't get many calls so when I don't recognise the number or, especially if it's international number, it's usually a scam call so I answer with..'Severn View Nursing home' 'Co-op Funeral Services' 'CID Det Sgt Rogue' "Hello, maternity ward". On one occasion I answered and continued to speak german. Each time the phone went down. :) I do recall having a chat with a female caller with a US accent. She wanted me to invest in FOREX (foreign exchange) A very high risk investment and I told her that. I asked her what she thought Janet Yellen, the then Fed Chair, was going to do ( within days at that point) re US interest rates as that would affect exchange rates. She didn't know who Yellen was. .coincidently, I've just just mentioned Janet Yellen in the Trump thread...she's the incoming Treasury Secretary for the Biden Administration. It must have been not long after the 2008 financial crash and I gave caller a couple of good recovery shares to invest in..shares with a good dividend too and told her if she bought enough she coukd sell them at a good profit in 12 months and wouldn't have to go to the office and spend all day calling people who didn't want to talk to her. In the end she actually thanked me and said goodbye with a 'nice to talk to you' commnent and that was it. Lol. I actually felt I'd done some good that day.:)

Pretty sure it was on here that I saw someone's suggestion to answer with "Good morning/afternoon, (local police force's name) telephone scam department, can I help you?" So I do that now.

wow i never get any scam calls
used to get the odd you been in an accident ones

Pretty sure it was on here that I saw someone's suggestion to answer with "Good morning/afternoon, (local police force's name) telephone scam department, can I help you?" So I do that now.

Similar has occurred to me in the past.....................though possibly along the lines of "Security Team, we are so pleased you have managed to find a secure phone.................your report has been expected and the recording trace is now running, please start.........?"

My dad used to tell nuisance callers to hang on a minute as his kettle was boiling and then just leave the phone until they got bored & hung up.

Keep a very loud whistle beside your phone or, better still one of those personal attack alarms. See how they feel with a bit of hearing damage.

Oh good morning , inspector Jones here ( where ever you live. ) c.I.d , Cani ask the last time you saw the deceased ... or how well you knew the deceased ..please don’t hang up this is a murder enquiry...

Phone goes silent then dead

Oh good morning , inspector Jones here ( where ever you live. ) c.I.d , Cani ask the last time you saw the deceased ... or how well you knew the deceased ..please don’t hang up this is a murder enquiry...

Phone goes silent then dead
Perhaps a slight modification to cause a little more worry. I understand that you were the last known person to see the deceased alive.

3 text messages this morning: "you have made an error filling out your cencus form, click here ( dodgy link ) or you will be liable for a £1000 fine". Is there nothing these parasites won't try?

3 text messages this morning: "you have made an error filling out your cencus form, click here ( dodgy link ) or you will be liable for a £1000 fine". Is there nothing these parasites won't try?

In answer to your question, Nige...No :D

What was the old expression.....'first against the wall come the revolution'

This morning’s emails include one that tells me I haven’t paid enough tax and the “Crime Agency” is after me. Yesterday I had “Jessica” from India on the phone telling me that my internet provider (which she couldn’t/wouldn’t tell me the name of) was going to cut me off.

I don’t know how I sleep at nights.

Back