Scanners for low flying

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
Would appreciate some help with buying myself a scanner for use when going to take pics of low flying jets.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable and relatively cheap scanner? Do I need AM and FM, and what frequency range should I make sure the scanner can cover?

Also, what frequencies should I listen in to (I will mostly be visiting LFA7)?

Many thanks

Hi, so many to choose from.. You'll need UHF/ VHF, make sure it covers military freq's, some cover Airband but not Military..

I have a Uniden Bearcat UBC3500XLT.. With a Watson supergainer Aerial, bin the one that comes with the scanner...

Have a look here to help you decide..

http://www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk/reviews.htm

Let us know when you get one and I'll email you the list of Freq's you'll need..

You'll need UHF/ VHF, make sure it covers military freq's, some cover Airband but not Military..
Hi Lev67, thanks for the reply - sorry to ask such a newbie question - but what MHz range are the military frequencies in - and are they AM or FM?

I have seen a Fairmate HP 200E and a HP 2000 going relatively cheap - do you know if either (or both) of these are suitable?

Cheers

Last edited:
Dont forget the Maycom AR-108 it really is pocke size but as Neil says dump the antenna I use the AB-PRO128A on mine and it will pick up Luton from Scunthorpe

Hi, so many to choose from.. You'll need UHF/ VHF, make sure it covers military freq's, some cover Airband but not Military..

I have a Uniden Bearcat UBC3500XLT.. With a Watson supergainer Aerial, bin the one that comes with the scanner...

Have a look here to help you decide..

http://www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk/reviews.htm

Let us know when you get one and I'll email you the list of Freq's you'll need..

Is the standard aerial totally crap or just not as good ?
Lookin into scanners myself.
Bazz.

Dont forget the Maycom AR-108 it really is pocke size but as Neil says dump the antenna I use the AB-PRO128A on mine and it will pick up Luton from Scunthorpe

Interesting, a quick google shows that priced at 67 pounds, I was under the impression that a decent scanner would cost > 120... perhaps I'll get one of these too (y)

After looking at the Maycom Ar-108, it doesn't appear to cover the right frequencies (unless I have got it completely wrong). Low fly frequency appears to be 278Mhz AM, whereas the Maycom covers 108 - 136.975 MHz (civil airband) and 136 - 174 (VHF).

Interesting, a quick google shows that priced at 67 pounds, I was under the impression that a decent scanner would cost > 120... perhaps I'll get one of these too (y)

Amazon are doing them at around £55 now and the pro128a is about £12 from sky shop leeds bit of a bargain as it gets a good review(y)

After looking at the Maycom Ar-108, it doesn't appear to cover the right frequencies (unless I have got it completely wrong). Low fly frequency appears to be 278Mhz AM, whereas the Maycom covers 108 - 136.975 MHz (civil airband) and 136 - 174 (VHF).

I dont no military frequencies so really couldnt say :shrug:

just been looking in my frequency guide and Mildenhall is 122.550 VHF and 370.250 UHF if this helps

Also, what frequencies should I listen in to (I will mostly be visiting LFA7)?

What do you expect to hear? I thought that he guys with scanners sat at the end of the runway listening to ,'downwind to roll', for the 1000th time.

Cheesy

What do you expect to hear? I thought that he guys with scanners sat at the end of the runway listening to ,'downwind to roll', for the 1000th time.

Cheesy
Well I was hoping to get some warning of the likely approach of a low flying military aircraft in my vicinity. If I'm not likely to get this info, then I have absolutely no reason to buy a scanner.

I used to be a serious, er, scannerist :D

The Yupiteru MVT-7100 is the old legend in the scanning world.
Uber sensitive, covers all mil and civil air and I'd imagine prices nowadays are easily below £100.

I've had more scanner than you'd care to shake a stick at :LOL:

Last edited:
We could start a "Show us yer scanner thread"

My ikkle one
DSC_0055.jpg

Well I was hoping to get some warning of the likely approach of a low flying military aircraft in my vicinity. If I'm not likely to get this info, then I have absolutely no reason to buy a scanner.

Thats what I thought. You will hear chat, but I'm not sure it will be along the lines of, '2 minutes out from the loop'.

Cheesy

Scanners are ok at airports as they give you some indication of whats comming in and which runway but apart from this theres really not much more you can do with them as Cheesy says you wont get many details from the RAF lads

Just to throw a spanner in the works. Have you considered the legality of using a scanner to listen to ATC transmissions?

Anyone who intends to listen to radio transmissions should be aware of the following:

A licence is not required for a radio receiver as long as it is not capable of transmission as well (The Wireless Telegraphy Apparatus (Receivers) (Exemption) Regulations 1989 (SI 1989 No 123). The exception to this is that it is an offence to listen to unlicensed broadcasters (pirates) without a licence. Licences are not issued for this purpose.

Although it is not illegal to sell, buy or own a scanning or other receiver in the UK, it must only be used to listen to transmissions meant for GENERAL RECEPTION. The services that you can listen to include Amateur and Citizens' Band transmissions, licensed broadcast radio, and weather and navigation broadcasts.

It is an offence to listen to any other radio services unless you are authorised by a designated person to do so.

OFCOM LINK

Dave,
Thanks for the link - interesting reading. I don't think I'll be bothering anyway, seems like a waste of money and effort anyway.

Just to throw a spanner in the works. Have you considered the legality of using a scanner to listen to ATC transmissions?

Anyone who intends to listen to radio transmissions should be aware of the following:

A licence is not required for a radio receiver as long as it is not capable of transmission as well (The Wireless Telegraphy Apparatus (Receivers) (Exemption) Regulations 1989 (SI 1989 No 123). The exception to this is that it is an offence to listen to unlicensed broadcasters (pirates) without a licence. Licences are not issued for this purpose.

Although it is not illegal to sell, buy or own a scanning or other receiver in the UK, it must only be used to listen to transmissions meant for GENERAL RECEPTION. The services that you can listen to include Amateur and Citizens' Band transmissions, licensed broadcast radio, and weather and navigation broadcasts.

It is an offence to listen to any other radio services unless you are authorised by a designated person to do so.

OFCOM LINK

All quotes here are true I went to great lengths to find out if I could use mine and I did get permission by ATC at a few airfields but still dont take it out of the car much as its one of those areas where I dont think anyone knows:shrug: the best advice I can give is ask someone in authority where you intend to use it if its a yes then you are ok you have permission but if they say no .....dont switch it on

Last edited:
know someone that used to sit round the fire in the evening with his mrs and listen to the police band, that much I know your not meant to....

An ATC Unit cannot give permission. It is an offence for anyone to listen to ATC broadcasts other than the people directly involved as the transmissions are not for general reception. Occasionally permission is granted by the relevant government authorities for it to be broadcast at airshows. Believe it or not it is even illegal for an Air Traffic Controller or pilot to listen outide of work!

know someone that used to sit round the fire in the evening with his mrs and listen to the police band, that much I know your not meant to....
the police switched to a different system a couple of years back that you can't get on a scanner.

& whilst technically speaking yes, it's an offence the RAF don't seem to be bothered at all. At least in Scotland we are very lucky that they are very tolerant (even accomodating) of aviation enthusiasts.

I think being discrete is the key. It may be an offence but how many enthusiasts tend to get caught, and out of those, how many get punished? I don't own a scanner mind, probably not much need for one as I know whats coming by looking at the website on my iPhone!

I remember the days of listening to ATC on my grandads ancient 'wireless' - I must have been 5 or so...be around 1990!

On the topic of offenses...Isn't it also an offence to take photos of commercial aircraft these days? I've seen scanned caution slips under the anti-terrorism act posted on other forums from when people have been out taking pics.

On the topic of offenses...Isn't it also an offence to take photos of commercial aircraft these days? I've seen scanned caution slips under the anti-terrorism act posted on other forums from when people have been out taking pics.

Danger of thread creep here!

Cheesy

Back