Scaring dogs?

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
When I were a lad, my mother (or may have been grandma) said that if ever a dog was running towards you aggressively you had to turn your back to it and bend right down and look back it through your spread legs and it would scare it off.
1. has anyone ever heard of this?
2. has anyone ever tried it and it worked?

3. any other "useful" tips received from parents as a child?

When I were a lad, my mother (or may have been grandma) said that if ever a dog was running towards you aggressively you had to turn your back to it and bend right down and look back it through your spread legs and it would scare it off.

be entertaining to watch

A lot of dogs are all bluster and anything unfamiliar will spook them at least briefly.
So changing your shape into a mysterious unpredictable creature might work

It may not scare dogs but you can tell the height of a tree that way :LOL:

turn your back to it and bend right down and look back it through your spread legs and it would scare it off.

Wasn't that the advice years ago?
In case of a Nuclear attack, put your head between your legs and kiss your arse good-bye

It may not scare dogs but you can tell the height of a tree that way :LOL:
Errr OK if we ever meet remind me to ask you to show me exactly how that works (y)
:D

Bend over and look back at the tree between your legs. Keep moving away from the tree until you can just see the top of the tree. The distance from you to the tree is then about the same as the height of the tree. It is one of the only things that I can remmber from my scouting days, that and how to tie a granny in knots.

Bend over
Ah right there, I would would fall at the first hurdle :D
just as well I don't really need to measure trees, well my Bonsai's can be done with a tape,
should I ever feel the need to measure them that is (y)

and how to tie a granny in knots.
I guess that would be considered abuse these days?

:D

Bend over and look back at the tree between your legs. Keep moving away from the tree until you can just see the top of the tree. The distance from you to the tree is then about the same as the height of the tree. It is one of the only things that I can remmber from my scouting days, that and how to tie a granny in knots.

You didn't believe that Scout Leader did you? ;)

and what did the scout leader do next.

I must try that as dogs seem to hate me. I got nipped by Alsatians twice in the past year.

What if you're too fat and can't bend over far enough to see between your legs???

You can't tell how tall trees are (or scare dogs!)

I must try that as dogs seem to hate me. I got nipped by Alsatians twice in the past year.

Once got a hand mouthed by a Malamute. Quite odd to have the waggy tail, smiley face and it just closed around my hand and pressed a bit.

Dave

Once got a hand mouthed by a Malamute.
Not quite the same, I was stroking a Pelican, and it started "batting my hand" with its bill 2 seconds later it was in its mouth
right up to the elbow FFS! :D

No harm done, the pelican survived (y)

No, but bending down and picking up a stone (even a pretend stone) works. Strangely it's universal - it works with wild dogs all over the world.

Nope - dumb idea.

My german Shepherd was trained as a working dog (did 2 1/2 years of the German Schutzhund training) & I promise you if you do that then you are asking to get bit in a place you don't want to. If she comes towards you it will be at 30mph & 36kg & won't be taking prisoners.

DSC_9353 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Be Non-agressive, no eye contact, arms by sides - DONT ADVANCE towards them - it means you are agressive to a dog.

You may still get bit..

I think a police dog don't give a damn and don't care.

Nope - dumb idea.

My german Shepherd was trained as a working dog (did 2 1/2 years of the German Schutzhund training) & I promise you if you do that then you are asking to get bit in a place you don't want to. If she comes towards you it will be at 30mph & 36kg & won't be taking prisoners.

Be Non-agressive, no eye contact, arms by sides - DONT ADVANCE towards them - it means you are agressive to a dog.

You may still get bit..

Hey @Diving Pete That's a cool amazing photo you got there.

Thanks, she is a great guard dog - but not a friendly one with people she doesn't know - lol
If you have not been introduced then you don't belong & she's sees it as her job to change that.

Which then brings on:
How to introduce to a dog (thats not known to you) - Even if the owner is with them.

1. NEVER approach the dog - they come to you.
2. no fast movements.
3. no loud noises.
4. no eye contact.
5. when it approaches let it sniff the BACK OF YOUR HAND - NOT THE FRONT. The reason for this is that a dogs knows that it can be grabbed from the palm side & so will raise its tension level.
6. DO NOT BEND DOWN TO IT >>>>>>>>> again this is an aggressive movement.
7. Do not treat it like a child - its not - even puppies bite !!!

Nope - dumb idea.

You may still get bit..
That's a cracking photo Pete, the things a dog will do for a bit of liver:)
As above, just be passive and totally non aggressive and just hope for the best, any form of aggression will have the opposite effect.
A dog is a hunter, a predator, it isn't easily distracted.
Horses are different, they are predated upon and although potentially far more dangerous than a dog they are very easily turned - just take a pace or two towards them waving your arms and they will stop immediately, whether trained or not.

Untrained dogs don't understand weapons and so ignore them. Trained attack dogs will attack even harder when they see any kind of weapon - which reminds me of a funny story from many years ago.

The metropolitan police decided to hold their own police dog championships, limited to all police dogs and invited some members of the public to watch the finals. There was a police dog training Sgt there who I knew well - a total idiot - and he had a dozen or so police officers marching up and down with their dogs, all very smart. At the same time, not far away someone else was doing chase and attack and the "criminal" fired a handgun. The inevitable result was that the dozen or so marching dogs suddenly became attack dogs and joined in the chase, towing their poor handlers face down in the mud behind them. Only one officer managed to stay on his feet:)

8. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE - & probably the main cause of getting bit for children who meet a new dog. -
NEVER take your hand from the nose over the eyes to the top of the head..
What happens there is the dog takes that as an UNFRIENDLY ACT & bites the hand. It can think you are going to grab it...

If you take the hand from the nose - slowly KEEPING the back of your hand against the dog, follow along the jaw, under the eye & up to the ears.. - this is the best way.

I have read that advice but it was not for dogs but lighting strikes. If caught in the open during a thunderstorm the idea was that by bending over the lightning would strike the highest part and pass to ground through your legs thus avoiding your heart etc.
I have not tried this and do not intend to but since you seem to be of an experimental turn of mind I would love to hear what your results are :).

Nope - dumb idea.

You may still get bit..
Pete, she's beautiful!
I still miss my GSD

Viv - She is pretty that's for sure however Loki (my other dog) is the true stunner... he's 40kg.. & has also done a lot of the Schutzhund training.

DSC_9686 by Pete Smith, on Flickr
Ok, have him delivered to my address, please.

Do they act as bodyguards to your wee minion?

I have read that advice but it was not for dogs but lighting strikes. If caught in the open during a thunderstorm the idea was that by bending over the lightning would strike the highest part and pass to ground through your legs thus avoiding your heart etc.
At 5730°C/300kV/30kA average per bolt, they won't be sitting down for a while. :mooning:electro.gif

Ok, have him delivered to my address, please.

Do they act as bodyguards to your wee minion?
Viv,
I now have 2 minions....

Laine Amber was born 01/01...

& yes... They are very protective - its really funny to see her (at 3 1/2) pushing them out of the way...

Not quite the same, I was stroking a Pelican, and it started "batting my hand" with its bill 2 seconds later it was in its mouth
right up to the elbow FFS! :D

No harm done, the pelican survived (y)

Similarly not quite the same, I was at a zoo and there was Bactrian Camel being led around by a keeper.

The keeper gave people food that they could feed to the camel. I offered it the food which it took very gently from my hand, plus my hand and a good bit of my arm. After a bit of warm wet stuff around my arm and hand I got all of me back, plus quite a bit of camel gob, but still a nice experience.

Dave

Viv,
I now have 2 minions....

Laine Amber was born 01/01...

& yes... They are very protective - its really funny to see her (at 3 1/2) pushing them out of the way...

Congrats, Pete!

Back