Beginner School Rugby + Hockey tips?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I'm shooting for the school, I photograph events and such frequently - but not sport.

I am looking forward to it and want to make the most of it.

I have all the Sony GM zooms, but in particular the 100-400 4-5.6 which will probably be the most useful.

Shoot from low, wide open and shutter 1/1000th? My compositional skills should be ok, and I understand it's typically best to get the ball in the shot..

I'm guessing all this will be on a school field, so I'm wondering about positioning myself and whether or not I should be chasing the action.

Also if there are any particular tips, like positioning when it comes to things like throw in's and scrums (hey I know a word..)

thanks,

Last edited:
Shoot low, don't chase the game, settings will depend on available light and speed of play. I would shoot wide open with a shutter speed that will freeze the action.

For hockey I normally sit somewhere between the 25 yard line and goal line on the opposite side to the umpire. Not done much rugby, but I prefer to sit behind the deadfall line either side of the posts.

Shoot low, don't chase the game, settings will depend on available light and speed of play. I would shoot wide open with a shutter speed that will freeze the action.

For hockey I normally sit somewhere between the 25 yard line and goal line on the opposite side to the umpire. Not done much rugby, but I prefer to sit behind the deadfall line either side of the posts.

Thanks, so I should actually take a chair? :)

Something like a fishing stool would do. I normally sit on my Peli case or if its dry I sit/kneel on the ground.

Agree with a lot of what's been said about my specialty - hockey.
The game's played with the players bent over so you have to sit down to get more faces and less backs in your shots, especially if it's school sized people. My favourite position is on the sideline level with the top of the circle, which gives a nice angle in to the goalkeeper, preferably on the side opposite the umpire. However it depends on things like what's in the background, which way the rain's blowing and where the sun is. On a water-based articicial hockey pitch shooting into a bright sun produces a horrible glare from the playing surface.
Don't forget hockey balls aren't as soft as footballs, or even golf balls. They cause pain and damage (he says from long experience).
www.duncolm.photography/Hockey

Agree with a lot of what's been said about my specialty - hockey.
The game's played with the players bent over so you have to sit down to get more faces and less backs in your shots, especially if it's school sized people. My favourite position is on the sideline level with the top of the circle, which gives a nice angle in to the goalkeeper, preferably on the side opposite the umpire. However it depends on things like what's in the background, which way the rain's blowing and where the sun is. On a water-based articicial hockey pitch shooting into a bright sun produces a horrible glare from the playing surface.
Don't forget hockey balls aren't as soft as footballs, or even golf balls. They cause pain and damage (he says from long experience).
www.duncolm.photography/Hockey

thanks, I'll keep it all in mind!

Back