Scotland Glencoe area

Name
Tristian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Attached are some resent landscape shots from Scotland around the Glencoe area. Landscapes have always been a challenge for me, I have never had a great deal of success and its an area I would love to improve on.

I only had a limited time to take a few snaps as it was a family vacation. The weather was a little misty and changing from bright sunshine to light rain around mid day to early afternoon. I did not have a tripod with me :coat:

Any feedback welcome

The lonely house by Tristian Sargeant, on Flickr

The bridge to no where by Tristian Sargeant, on Flickr

Nature all around by Tristian Sargeant, on Flickr

Valleys from the past by Tristian Sargeant, on Flickr

House by the mountain by Tristian Sargeant, on Flickr

Last edited:
so how could i have made these photos better? circular polarizing filter to improve colours? Nd filter to get some cloud movement? soft grad balance the sky and retain detail? what would you have done?

Last edited:
so how could i have made these photos better? circular polarizing filter to improve colours? Nd filter to get some cloud movement? soft grad balance the sky and retain detail? what would you have done?

For me, I think the compositions don’t do Glencoe justice, for example shot 4 is a bit of a nothing shot for me. The last shot I’d have got much closer to the water and made the most of those reflections.

I’d think about compositions a little more. Don’t be afraid of zooming in more or shooting in portrait either.

The other problem is the conditions, I personally avoid shooting in harsh light with strong sun. Glencoe is best in either very moody miserable conditions or at sunrise/sunset. Light is so important in landscape photography and can make the difference better an utterly boring and a fantastic shot.

A couple seem to have blown highlights in the sky so a grad would have helped there. Some people use a polariser and make the sky too blue so be careful there.

They aren’t ‘bad’ shots but there are a few pointers for improvement.

so how could i have made these photos better?
You could do what most folks do, and take the same shots as everyone else.
I like the fact that you've taken a different approach and done your own thing.
This has resulted in viewpoints that are different from the masses.
You could try taking the same shots in different light.
Dark moody skies would make a huge difference for me.
As said, get closer to the water and maximise the reflections.
Good attempts though, just the wrong light.

Cheers for the pointers. I'am not greatly happy with any of the snaps to me they just are missing something no dynamism a bit flat and boring. As I said I have never been very good at landscapes.

I did try and do my own thing and not look at other photos taken of the area prior to our holiday as I wanted to practise my own compositions. Thanks so much for taking the time to help point me in the right direction.

The look very much like middle of the day shots and you are not even taking full advantage of that light. Middle of the day is personally for paid real estate work, travelling, eating (and sometimes sleeping). As mentioned you could have pushed the compositions a little bit further. Plain grass or sand or grit doesn't tend to make successful foreground so you need look for something else, something more interesting. Don't forget in Scotland you have the option of considerably higher vantage points.

The look very much like middle of the day shots and you are not even taking full advantage of that light. Middle of the day is personally for paid real estate work, travelling, eating (and sometimes sleeping). As mentioned you could have pushed the compositions a little bit further. Plain grass or sand or grit doesn't tend to make successful foreground so you need look for something else, something more interesting. Don't forget in Scotland you have the option of considerably higher vantage points.

Yes the light was midday to afternoon not the best time as it was a family holiday. The sunny was strong and bright with a little mist in the distance. So what could I have done to make the best of the harsh light?

Yes the light was midday to afternoon not the best time as it was a family holiday. The sunny was strong and bright with a little mist in the distance. So what could I have done to make the best of the harsh light?

Wait a few hours. I am sorry there is and can't be a different answer. If your family is not happy to be out when the light and views get pretty and only want to see everything in horrid daylight you may need to find days to go alone.

Time of day does obviously make a big difference and on a family holiday it can be difficult, I have sneaked out very early in the morning on some holidays to get some time and shots before breakfast (but I know ... it's a holiday)

That said you can get good landscape photos during the day but watch the direction in which you are shooting and where the sun is. I personally like to shoot in the broken cloud conditions that you had in some shots where you get patches of light on the land but again that can be awkward on a family holiday because you have to wait for th patch of light to hit something of interest like a group of trees. For me the the righthand edge of the fourth looks interesting and I would have proably used a longer lens and done some shooting of the mountainside with the sun picking out the lumps and bumps.

Last edited:
Back