Scotland Scotland

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
I'm up in Scotland for a week in October, staying in Acharacle, South West of Fort William.

I've already earmarked Glen Coe and Elgol, Skye, just wondering what other locations nearby are worth shooting..?
Any tips including other locations in Skye would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Neil

chanory point for the dolphins look up the dolphin centre for tide time for the best time to see them feeding
bow fiddle rock
urqhuart castle loch ness

Have you been before? Skye is a bit of a trek from the wrong side of Fort Bill. And Skye itself isn't exactly quick to get around. Mull is nice, not sure how easy it is to get to from where you're staying though.

Yeah, I've been to Skye before but a few years ago and not for anything photography related.
This time however is purely a togging trip! We're staying 25 mins from Mallaig (Acharacle) so Skye and Mull are both accessable via the ferry connections.

Loch Eilt can be gorgeous, the silver sands of Morar, but any of the beaches along from Arisaig to Morar are lovely. A wee bit further to travel, Sanna Bay is worth a look, as is Ardnamurchan Point, the most Westerly point of Great Britain. Skye in itself is just a photograph around every corner, and whilst there are hidden gems, you can't beat the likes of the Quiraing, Old Man of Storr, Elgol.....to be honest you could spend days on the road from Broadford to Elgol alone.

Oh and of course you'll be passing Glenfinnan, so there's the classic viaduct images, and the viewpoint down the loch with the monument. All classics, but they work for a reason....but there's a lot to shoot wherever you look :)

If you are driving then watch out for speed traps, speed cameras and speed camera vans (which I think seemed to be grey and possibly without the high-vis yellow and orange stripes they often have in England), as they appeared to be quite keen on enforcing speed limits (which sometimes seemed to vary quite frequently along the same road). Road safety is important so I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just letting you know my what I noticed when I ventured across the border earlier this year.

Last edited:
Loch Eilt can be gorgeous, the silver sands of Morar, but any of the beaches along from Arisaig to Morar are lovely. A wee bit further to travel, Sanna Bay is worth a look, as is Ardnamurchan Point, the most Westerly point of Great Britain. Skye in itself is just a photograph around every corner, and whilst there are hidden gems, you can't beat the likes of the Quiraing, Old Man of Storr, Elgol.....to be honest you could spend days on the road from Broadford to Elgol alone.
Oh and of course you'll be passing Glenfinnan, so there's the classic viaduct images, and the viewpoint down the loch with the monument. All classics, but they work for a reason....but there's a lot to shoot wherever you look :)

Thanks, that's really helpful, appreciate it Martin!

Very jealous Neil and hopefully you get the weather and look forward to your images. Looks like Martin has provided some great locations but also Corpach, Torridon and the Fairy pools?

Glen Nevis. It is very busy in the summer but in October it should be pretty quiet and it is a bit of a gem. The walk up to the Steall Waterfall is straightforward. Have a look at the WalkHighlands site - it has lots info and photos on walks from very gentle strolls to mountain ascents.

Dave

From where you are based Neil, Elgol is certainly reachable but Skye is a big island and a trip around the island is around 150 -200 miles. Torridon is an area I am fortunate to know well and I'd encourage anyone to visit it, but it is a very long round trip from Acharacle.

Hope you have a great time.

Dave

You seem up for the long haul car trip so certainly Torridon and Loch Clair area- brings you into Chanonry from the north end

Very jealous Neil and hopefully you get the weather and look forward to your images. Looks like Martin has provided some great locations but also Corpach, Torridon and the Fairy pools?

Cheers mate

Glen Nevis. It is very busy in the summer but in October it should be pretty quiet and it is a bit of a gem. The walk up to the Steall Waterfall is straightforward. Have a look at the WalkHighlands site - it has lots info and photos on walks from very gentle strolls to mountain ascents.

Dave

Brilliant, cheers Dave.

From where you are based Neil, Elgol is certainly reachable but Skye is a big island and a trip around the island is around 150 -200 miles. Torridon is an area I am fortunate to know well and I'd encourage anyone to visit it, but it is a very long round trip from Acharacle.

Hope you have a great time.

Dave

I'll be using the ferry from Mallaig but take the point about the far away Skye destinations. Hoping for some 'grumpy' weather conditions to make the togging a bit more interesting and less reliable on golden / blue hour light.
Fingers crossed! Cheers Dave.

Back