weekly Scots_quine's 52 Challenge for 2019 - week 52 added

Super image and processing. I too would have liked to see the whole face in the image, this would have made it stand out really well.

I am very conscious of putting people's faces on 'public' view even if I know them, actually, especially if I know them. I agree that it does make a better photo with the face. Any idea how I could leave the face on but make it unrecognisable? I did think about photoshopping a blindfold on but discarded that idea!

Waiting I hope it was quick drying :D the layout is very good and I do like it.

Rough I know you have comments about the head cut off but I actually like it like that and think it adds a bit of something to the picture.

Great image Joan, perfect for the theme!

That's great work, Joan! I think you could even have cropped just under his nose so you were left with that grumpy-looking (although I'm sure he's really nice!) mouth and bristly chin. It all works so well together; the rough chin, folded and tattooed arms, and rough work clothes, and your choice of B&W with those textures and grain really add to the overall image :clap:

What a great rough image Joan. Superb detail and great cropping (if it has been) to give just enough 'roughness' to it.

I bet the guy is a big old pussycat

He is a lovely guy and looks belie! But also was in the services so there is menace bubbling under the surface of the image. I hope!

Nice shot for rough - but I'm guessing he's a big softy really :D

Nice portrait for Rough - wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him! Cutting his face off, but including the man-spread, works well

Erm, I don't quite understand what I'm looking at. I get it's a D500, mounted on a tripd, but what is the thing that looks like a lens cap way out to the left?
Have nikon gone the opposite way to Canon (with their flip out screen) and developed a flip out lens???? ;)

Erm, I don't quite understand what I'm looking at. I get it's a D500, mounted on a tripd, but what is the thing that looks like a lens cap way out to the left?
Have nikon gone the opposite way to Canon (with their flip out screen) and developed a flip out lens???? ;)

It is a lens cap on the left with Nikon written on it. The photograph is taken at an angle of about 45 degrees to the body - I added the magnifying glass just as a bit of a practise in photoshop and to add something a bit extra to the image. The D500 was an Object of Desire to me and I bought one last week!

Very interesting, and unusual....I like it!
The light you have is very nice too, you've used it well, and it's throwing some nice dappling on the background also.

Congratulations on your new purchase, the D500 is a cracking camera....just had a look at the specs and it seems very similar in performance to my beloved Canon 7DmkII.
They're both great, high burst rate cameras, though if I'm completely honest, the Nikon has the edge for image quality and ISO performance.
I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting with it Joan.(y)

I don't know much about DSLRs now but well done on getting the camera you want! Clever addition of the magnifying glass, thought it was real until I read your comment!

Congratulations on your new purchase, the D500 is a cracking camera....just had a look at the specs and it seems very similar in performance to my beloved Canon 7DmkII.
They're both great, high burst rate cameras, though if I'm completely honest, the Nikon has the edge for image quality and ISO performance.
I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting with it Joan.(y)
Thanks Gareth. Have been looking for something that was a bit faster than my trusty D5500, for shooting sports. Hopefully the D500 will do the trick! It's a lot more camera than I really need apart from the fps, but I also got the 16-80mm F4 lens with it and it's a cracking lens so well happy with my purchase. If only it was a bit lighter!

Like the take on the theme Joan, congrats on the purchase!!

Well done on treating yourself to a D500. A friend has one and loves it. Great photo too. Good to practise and try new PP work as well. It works well to pull the eye into the camera model badge.

Nice shot, i like the way the background mimics the shapes in main image.

Great image Joan, I love the water droplet hanging off the catkin in the centre, but also the shape of the branch weaving through the image.

I think my garden will be appearing quite a lot in the coming weeks/months! That was the first 'proper' shot I have taken with my new camera and lens. I was surprised at how close I could get to the catkins with it. Very pleased so far. I thought the background was a bit messy to begin with but it is growing on me!

Wow....what a brilliant image Joan!
Super sharp detail in the catkins, and the background is perfect...great use of DoF!
The colours are terrific, and those drops of water....fab!!
The framing of the curved vines/branches (forgive me, I'm not a gardener!) are spot on too!
A first class image!(y)

Hi Joan,

Big catch up from me!

Distant - I'm undecided about this one, I love the light and shade with the sun on the tops of the hills but not sure about the roundabout. I think maybe its the cars and all the signs, but not a lot you can do about those :D. Lovely sculpture in the middle of it though.
Cold- Oh poor fish, makes me shiver just looking at that pond!
Waiting - Great idea and nicely composed
Rough - I would have liked to either see all of his face or crop it off completely :LOL: Great Portrait, works really well in B&W, it brings out all the lovely textures. Just to be nit picky I assume you weren't exactly straight on to him and this means that his knees aren't equal in the frame, so I think I might have chopped them off too :ROFLMAO: though I do like the textures in the jeans.
Object - Ooo lucky you. Nice idea with the magnifier, very clever
Wet - This is lovely, I like the droplets hanging off the ends and nice bokeh in the bg. Good start with the new camera

:D

One of my favourite images so far. Love the angle and the b&w convertion is spot on.

Back