weekly Scots_quine's 52 Challenge for 2019 - week 52 added

That's an interesting image Joan. Great array of different colours all over, which makes you keep studying. Nice

Week 18 - CROWD(ed)
Was reduced to taking a photo on my iPhone while standing in a q at the not-so-local store.
Week 18 - CROWD.jpg

Week 19 - DECAY
Week 19 - DECAY - N5A_2188.jpg

Saw someone had already done mouldy strawberries but as I had been growing mine for a week, I have no choice but to use it!
One below is with a crackly filter over it - quite like the effect.
Week 19 - DECAY - B-N5A_2172.jpg

Hot – Nice interpretation of the theme. Nice colours and fast shutter to get the dogs sharp.

Light – Nice background light of the sunset. The flowers stand out against the dark back ground. Very colourful image.

Crowd – Hits the theme, certainly crowded in that part of the shop.

Decay – Certainly wouldn’t want to eat that! Nice macro image for #1, nice detail in the mould.

Nice moldy old strawberry there, but DOF is very shallow losing a lot of the details, Might be worth looking at focus stacking to combat that shallow DOF.

Pete

Hi Joan,

Above - Worth the wait for the sky imo. Nicely controlled perspective, that can't have been easy to shot this well.
Hot - Or perhaps Hot Favourite (which was the wordplay that sprung to my mind on seeing the picture). Well captured. Must have needed quite a fast shutter.
Light - What a riot of colours. I really like this because of hte vivid colours. Not sure why you're not happy with it, I would be.
Crowd(ed) - it works as 'street' as you have at elast one face pointing roughly in your direction :)
Decay - I think this is the stand out shot of my catch-up. Love the detail, great use of DoF, and effort put into the shot spending time to create the prop.

A couple of really nice macro shots for decay there. Really nicely done.

You must have to know the theme weeks beforehand in order still to keep the fruit in that state. A lovely macro shot with nice mouldy details and texture.
no - it is amazing how quickly strawberries will go mouldy - they were bought on the Tuesday, two taken out of the fridge on the Friday and put on the worktop- so less than a week to totally go mouldy!

Strawb looks familiar :D

Nicely done - the closer shot does it for me :)

Nice shot of the pooches!

Great action shot, I wouldn't want to have to catch the dogs though...

Decay - both good shots but the second one works best for me. It looks really depressing and spot on for theme and the background enhances it nicely

Free week - love the whippets. You appear to have nailed those perfectly. Looks very sharp and action packed. I was at a Country Fair 2 weeks ago and tried getting some action shots of lurcher racing - I took well over a 100 images and had about 3 keepers so you did great there

Week 21 - Whole (of the Japanese Garden)
Week 21 - WHOLE -pano1.jpg

4 images stitched together from today's outing. Went especially to see the rhodies but not many there. And forgot my polariser. But lunch more than made up for it in the café there!
It's quite a small garden in the throes of restoration from being badly vandalised in the sixties.

Last edited:
Ooooh I like that :D

Whole: a great job of stitching these images together. Nice looking place to have a walk/rest.

Nice one Joan - beautiful looking lake and garden. So much colour and interest to it. Nicely stitched :)

Thanks everyone - I don't normally do panos but thought it might suit the theme. And I was surprised how well it stitched together being handheld (no tripods allowed).

Hi Joan,

Just playing a bit of catch up. You've taken some cracking shots.
Light is lovely with really vivid colours without being too sturated.
The second shot for decay is great. That crackle effect is very good too.
The pano of the Japanese Garden is really good. The stitching has worked really well and the exposure is nicely balanced across the images.

Week 22 - FRAGILE
Week 22 - FRAGILE - N5A_2879.jpg
Panicking a bit this week as I was clueless about this week's theme. Been that sort of week when I can't get my thoughts in any proper order. Anyway, one egg down!

Great images Joan!(y)
Fragile: Sometimes a good old panic brings out the best in us! It certainly did here I would say.
It's inventive and well composed, and your choice to shoot right on the floor is perfect for the subject.
With great lighting and a nice black background, I'm hugely impressed!
Squash(ed): Wow! I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here, but I can say that it's an amazing image which I can't stop looking at!
It's fascinating, surreal and tremendous, and I'm sure I don't need to ask whether the little moggy was harmed in the process of taking this photograph?!:giggle:
Fantastic work Joan!:clap:

This is the kitten from Week 1. He has grown a lot! Took all of 10 mins to get the shot with the camera on a tripod and remote release and me holding a toy above his head. My photoshop abilities could be better I think.
No cats were harmed in the taking of this image!

Last edited:
That's a great picture, very original, and the kitten is growing nicely!

Clever kitty shot - and fab eggses!

The eggs shot works well very nicely composed not sure the cat in a bottle works though it is a very clever idea

Back