Scottish wildlife ops...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to Torridon the end of April for a few days. Would love to try for some Red Skwerls and even a Pine marten...

Any chances at all ?

No, he was not winding you up, John.

Pine Martens like sweet things (though I have used cheap raspberry jam) so jam sandwiches go down well. They will also eat peanuts. Where they are being fed seeing them is easy. They learn quickly and regularly visit places where food is provided.

Seeing them in the wild is something else, I think. I've been fortunate to have visited NW Scotland about 4 or 5 times a year for the last 10 years and have seen one Pine Marten in the wild - ie not in a place where food is provided.

You could ask around the area where you are staying but be aware some folks do not like Pine Martens.

Dave

I know the same general area as Dave (Tringa) although I don't get up there as often (once a year but not every year). I've seen one pine marten (running across the road in front of the car). Some locals do generally regard them as pests. They can cause a lot of damage in the wrong place.

I've seen one pine marten (running across the road in front of the car).

My one sighting of a wild marten was the same, Jan.

As with any predator, what is said is a mixture of truth and rubbish. Poultry, unless well protected, are an easy target for something that can climb, jump and squeeze as well as a pine marten and I have no doubt they will take chickens, and anything else available. I have also heard, second hand admittedly, of someone in central Scotland who wanted to know how they could trap and kill pine martens because they kill dogs!

Dave

Eggs work as well as anything. Jam etc works but isnt part of their natural diet so isnt thought to be good for them. Peanut butter is another commonly used. Area around loch sheidaig But it will be difficult unless they have been baited in the past and get used to finding food in certain areas.

First time I saw a pine marten take an egg I was surprised just how far it could open its mouth. I too have concerns about too much jam so I've tended towards using more peanuts (also not natural but perhaps a bit healthier than jam) mixed with just a little jam. I've also tried a bit of raw chicken but it got left.

White tailed eagles have nested on one of the islands in Loch Maree didn't breed there last year. There was, I've heard but not seen, a pair on the island in Loch Shieldaig.

As with a lot of wildlife sightings there is a lot of luck involved. Last Novemeber I saw two white tailed eagles over Loch Gairloch within 10 minutes but hadn't seen any in my previous 5 visits there.

Good luck with your trip, Mark

Dave

Back