Sea Theme - Please Help Me?!?! (p.s. i'm new, hi!)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi to all!
I currently study photography at college but at the minute I am struggling as my theme is The Sea and I want to do underwater photography but without actually going underwater, is this possible?
Thanks for any help!

ROV (Remotely operated vehicle), glass bottomed boat, waterproof camera on a stick? To be honest I would think that you are going to struggle without the right gear and being underwater yourself.

You also need to think about where, a lot of the waters around the UK have fairly poor visibility.

Its surprising what you can get from rockpools and with a polarizer on the lens to remove the glare from the surface.
Not done it since school, which was a very long time ago, but a black bucket with no bottom placed into the water can make it look like the camera was underwater.
Just a couple of ideas ;)

I went to a talk at the photo club a couple of years ago and the fella got great results using an old fish tank and stones to weigh it down, he got great results. Go practice and have fun

ROV (Remotely operated vehicle), glass bottomed boat, waterproof camera on a stick? To be honest I would think that you are going to struggle without the right gear and being underwater yourself.

You also need to think about where, a lot of the waters around the UK have fairly poor visibility.

Thanks for the help, I will look into your suggestions.

Its surprising what you can get from rockpools and with a polarizer on the lens to remove the glare from the surface.

Agree with this, head down to a rocky shore at low tide and see what you can find in the rock pools.

You'll be surprised at what you could find. A macro lens and a polariser would be ideal.

Thank you. I do plan on visiting them. However, do you think that they will allow me to put cameras in their smaller tanks?

I doubt you'll be able to put cameras into any tanks, but you can get decent results shooting through glass. Get as close to the glass as possible to reduce the reflections - if your lens has a hood, try to get it right on the glass to cut out all the stray light from outside the tank.

Thank you. I do plan on visiting them. However, do you think that they will allow me to put cameras in their smaller tanks?

As mentioned by James not IN the tanks,

Depends what kind of photos you require, but I've taken photos through the glass and they've come out fine.

_DSC9891 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Not done it since school, which was a very long time ago, but a black bucket with no bottom placed into the water can make it look like the camera was underwater.
Just a couple of ideas ;)

Thanks! Is there any rock pools in the UK? Also what is a polarizer? (I'm only a beginner at photography) & also could you please explain the black bucket thing further or send me a link?

I went to a talk at the photo club a couple of years ago and the fella got great results using an old fish tank and stones to weigh it down, he got great results. Go practice and have fun

Thanks! But could you explain this concept further as I am only a beginner :)

I doubt you'll be able to put cameras into any tanks, but you can get decent results shooting through glass. Get as close to the glass as possible to reduce the reflections - if your lens has a hood, try to get it right on the glass to cut out all the stray light from outside the tank.

Ok and I will definitely try this when I get a decent camera, i'm saving for the Nikon D3200 :D

As mentioned by James not IN the tanks,

Depends what kind of photos you require, but I've taken photos through the glass and they've come out fine.

I love that photo so much, you're so talented! Do you have a website? As if you have anymore similar images I would like to include you in my Sketchbook if that is okay?

Have you saw Andreas Franke's work as his is something i'd love to have a go at although again, i can't dive underwater? Is there a way to photoshop it so it looks like there are shipwrecks with people exploring them? here is his work in case you aren't aware of him? http://www.thesinkingworld.com/#

I love that photo so much, you're so talented! Do you have a website? As if you have anymore similar images I would like to include you in my Sketchbook if that is okay?

Thanks, but I'm sorry I don't consent to use of my photo. Good luck with your project.

Is there a way to photoshop it so it looks like there are shipwrecks with people exploring them? here is his work in case you aren't aware of him? http://www.thesinkingworld.com/#

Anything is possible in photoshop but cutting people out and placing them in another scene so they look realistic takes an astonishing amount of patience and practice - and starts with getting the lighting right at the time of shooting.

Hi to all!
I want to do underwater photography but without actually going underwater, is this possible?
Thanks for any help!

My model friend Lily La Mer regularly organises photoshoots in a tank; you shoot from outside it. They're group events so to some extent you're stuck with her (excellent) styling, backdrops and the lighting that you get given, but they might be of interest. In fact she's got one coming up: http://www.lilyshowgirl.com/underwater-photoshoot.html.

I'm not going to post my shot of her as a mermaid again but if you're interested take a look at https://flic.kr/p/q2fJgk (taken with a rather complex lighting setup but you get the gist).

Have you saw Andreas Franke's work as his is something i'd love to have a go at although again, i can't dive underwater? Is there a way to photoshop it so it looks like there are shipwrecks with people exploring them? here is his work in case you aren't aware of him? http://www.thesinkingworld.com/#

I think you are better off concentrating on learning the photography side of things rather than trying to fake it in photoshop. Enthusiasm is good - but working on the basics with an achievable idea is going to be more productive.

[edit]

Removed post, as Fi had dragged up an old thread. The OP hasn't been seen on here since August. Probably realised there's no quick fix, get talented fast shortcut.

Last edited:
Sorry... I didn't realise it was old.

Back