weekly Seaodyssey's 52 for 2019 Week 51 Chrissmasy & Wk52 Outtake

Great sharpness and detail Pete!(y)
Nice strong sunlight too - terrific shadows.

I did something similar to my down pipes last year too - actually my issue snowballed into a full blown replacement of the entire soak-away chamber!
It was unpleasant, but I got to have a go on a digger - it was worth it just for that!!:giggle:

Nice close up shot for Plastic, plenty of detail and the sharpness it really good.

Thanks Jim
Great sharpness and detail Pete!(y)
Nice strong sunlight too - terrific shadows.

I did something similar to my down pipes last year too - actually my issue snowballed into a full blown replacement of the entire soak-away chamber!
It was unpleasant, but I got to have a go on a digger - it was worth it just for that!!:giggle:
Hi Gareth, Boys and their toys, bet a shovel would have been enough. Thanks for your comments as always

Plastic is a good shot Pete, liking the shadows.

Thanks Dave
I like your improvise while doing repair to your property. Quite a strong shadows as others comments and good clean background.
Thanks for your comments Stan

I wanted to take an Image that no one else would do, I think I nailed it.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Empty - empty yet not empty in the same shot. Nicely exposed. I'm pondering what the trestle is.
Plastic - Ah, I did wonder what they were when I was updating the spreadsheet. I thought car parts, not drainpipe, but I see it now. Isn't it funny how you can see different things if you don't know the context.

Hi Pete,

Empty - empty yet not empty in the same shot. Nicely exposed. I'm pondering what the trestle is.
Plastic - Ah, I did wonder what they were when I was updating the spreadsheet. I thought car parts, not drainpipe, but I see it now. Isn't it funny how you can see different things if you don't know the context.

Hi Tim.
The trestle is part of a Herb Planter, which I have repaired as it fell apart, they hold a lot of very heavy soil.
And yes, context is important, but not particularly for that theme.

Thanks For looking and doing the spreadsheet.

Pete

And yes, context is important, but not particularly for that theme.
Oh yes, totally agree, I just thought it funny how without context I thought they were something completely different. :)
Thanks For looking and doing the spreadsheet.
Been on A/L so had a chance to catch up before my next Convention marathon... I must take it a bit easier next year...

For Week35 Building

Wk35 Building by Peter, on Flickr

This Building has been in the process for years and years. It has a submarine periscope sticking out the top of the round tower making it very unusual. I have acquired a m43 camera for its 4K video capability, It was cheap on ebay and this is the first picture developed using Siklypix, which is strange. My versions of Lightroom and PS do not do the raw files from the gx80 and I will not subscribe to Adobe's monthley mega money making scheme. I will have other attempts at processing over the next few days.

Indeed, as @CliveH says, it's certainly an unusual building, and I like the framing and composition.(y)
It's a little dark (maybe due to being overcast) but as you are breaking in some different software, it's entirely understandable, and I fully agree with your stance on Adobe's monthly cash extraction scheme!:giggle:

Another Go at Processing, This time using RawTherapy. Better result, but lost what little details in the clouds. This appears to be very complex software, but will also handle my D800 Nefs. Just realised I did not change the Image size as I normally do, where is that instruction manual.

Wk35 Building RT by Peter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Third attempt for me Pete, strange to have a periscope on a building though ? I looked the flower pots. Done see many clay one nowadays

Last edited:
Empty
I nearly did empty pots, but it would have been pretty boring. You on the other hand have made something of it. It's got some context.

Building
I think your 3rd attempt is the one.

Nice unusual building, nice and sharp and good composition.

Thanks Clive

Indeed, as @CliveH says, it's certainly an unusual building, and I like the framing and composition.(y)
It's a little dark (maybe due to being overcast) but as you are breaking in some different software, it's entirely understandable, and I fully agree with your stance on Adobe's monthly cash extraction scheme!:giggle:

Thanks Gareth

An interseting addition to the building! 3rd edit is the best of the three with a good balance of the sky and overall exposure. I now use zoner photo studio for editing, much less annual cost and plenty of updates. Used to use elements but won't be going back to adobe.

Thanks Michael, I had a look at Zoner Photo Studio on the Interweb, may download it and try the trial. I have a list which is taking a long time get to the bottom.

Third attempt for me Pete, strange to have a periscope on a building though ? I looked the flower pots. Done see many clay one nowadays

Thanks Chris, it cost the wife(and me) a fortune to get them and not to use them.

Empty
I nearly did empty pots, but it would have been pretty boring. You on the other hand have made something of it. It's got some context.

Building
I think your 3rd attempt is the one.

Thanks Dominic

A great image, that perfectly fits the theme and the technique.(y)
Very nicely done Pete, it works on so many different levels - DoF on the petals, softness of the background, the softness of the petals themselves....excellent work.

Nice and soft flower thingie :D

Hi Pete,
Nice shot for Empty. Nice composition and colour. I might be tempted to crop a little from the right hand side?
Building - Edit three for me too. I like the periscope and wonder why it's there...
Soft - Very nice shot and perfect for the theme and technique.

Hi Pete,
Soft - Nicely done, hitting the theme and tech :) The only thing I might have done differently is to have put it on the left third, so that it has space to lean into.
Building - #3 is definitely the winner. If you want to use LR/PS on the RAWs, grab the adobe dng converter and convert to dng at a level that your version supports. I used to do that for PS2.

What a wonderful tree, the trunk looks huge. Well captured with the light coming through the leaves.

I love trees so really like your OLD one. And I like the building as well (shot 3). Double whammy really as you have both the noun and the verb!!

Great shot for SOFT. It stands out really well against the bg. Perfect idea for the theme.
A great image, that perfectly fits the theme and the technique.(y)
Very nicely done Pete, it works on so many different levels - DoF on the petals, softness of the background, the softness of the petals themselves....excellent work.
Soft
I've never had much success with cactus flowing.
It looks good for the theme.
Nice and soft flower thingie :D
Hi Pete,
Nice shot for Empty. Nice composition and colour. I might be tempted to crop a little from the right hand side?
Building - Edit three for me too. I like the periscope and wonder why it's there...
Soft - Very nice shot and perfect for the theme and technique.

Thank you for all of your comments
Hi Pete,
Soft - Nicely done, hitting the theme and tech :) The only thing I might have done differently is to have put it on the left third, so that it has space to lean into.
Building - #3 is definitely the winner. If you want to use LR/PS on the RAWs, grab the adobe dng converter and convert to dng at a level that your version supports. I used to do that for PS2.
Hi Tim, Thanks for the comments,I tried putting the flower on the left hand side but the background was not as good, If I had more time I could have moved the pot and the things behind it, but time was is limited at the moment.
I'm still looking for a LR replacement, I know about DNG Converter and its another step in the process and LR6 is several years behind in its capabilities. Rawtherepee is very good but also very technical and the manual is online one, no pdf to browse in a spare 10minutes when offline.

Pete

It's a nice flower - maybe half a stop less on the old exposure?

Back