weekly Seaodyssey's 52 for 2019 Week 51 Chrissmasy & Wk52 Outtake

I have been away on the end of a poor g3 signal, so have not been here much in the last couple of weeks. However I have my wk12 Young Image for you.
I'm not sure that my AF fine tune setting is correct for my 80-400 lens, something to check out over the next week or so.
While in Swanage for a day I spotted a few young Gulls and managed to get one which is okish. I'm not sure if the focus is a bit soft due to the AF Fine tune setting or the colouring on the gull not being a good auto focus target!

TP Wk12 Young Gull at Swanage by Peter, on Flickr

I will attempt to get upto date.

Pete

Looks bang on for young Pete. The detail in the gull looks nice and sharp to me

Lovely shot of a young gull and nicely composed. It's not often we see them when they're young.

Young
I think your assessment of the af could be right, there's not a lot of contrast and the background is a very similar tone.

Young is a very good shot Peter, a great BG that really suites the Gull that gave you a good pose.

Thanks Dave, I think the Gull did all the work.

Looks bang on for young Pete. The detail in the gull looks nice and sharp to me

Thanks Ian, It was the eye which is not quite spot on.

Lovely shot of a young gull and nicely composed. It's not often we see them when they're young.

Thanks Scott or Joan, There where plenty in Swanage on that day, perhaps I'm just lucky. :)

Great image Pete!(y)
Terrific detail, the focus looks pretty good to me.
Fantastic pose and the composition is really good....love that rock he/she's standing on.

Thanks Gareth, see replies I made to Dave and Ian.

Young
I think your assessment of the af could be right, there's not a lot of contrast and the background is a very similar tone.

Thanks Dominic, I will have to check the focus out on that lens now anyway, something to research, print targets and generally faff about. I think the only time I checked that lens out I made it worse and binned the settings and that was years ago. It is possible that the autofocus point is too large to pick the eye out well or perhaps I should move away from single point focus, but as I use bbf I'm not sure how the dynamic settings work, Hello Mr Google, I have a question....

Cold - certainly does look cold I like the glow of the lights in the background
Waiting - nice capture he is being very good sitting and waiting
Rough - great idea, great texture even as others have said it is not as rough as you in
Object - that's a tasty looking spread, looks like a picture from an old cookery book
wet - I too prefer the cropped version but the first works well for the technique
free - nice pattern cast in the shadows.
Entrance - I like the symmetry and the slightly open door gives a feel of being invited in.
Young - good detail and he stands out well from the background.
Food - That's a good story triptych story

Week14 Smooth

Wk14 Smooth Travel by Peter, on Flickr

This is where I walk the Dog at weekends, see trains all the time, today they took ages between them, so it took all of my lunch time to get 2 trains going pass me.
Hey ho, on to this weeks now.

Pete

Last edited:
Can`t beat a good chippy for food Peter as I love em, nice touch put the scales in too.

Very Tasty it was Dave.

Good triptych it tells a story and very topical too

Thanks for your comments Allan

Cold - certainly does look cold I like the glow of the lights in the background
Waiting - nice capture he is being very good sitting and waiting
Rough - great idea, great texture even as others have said it is not as rough as you in
Object - that's a tasty looking spread, looks like a picture from an old cookery book
wet - I too prefer the cropped version but the first works well for the technique
free - nice pattern cast in the shadows.
Entrance - I like the symmetry and the slightly open door gives a feel of being invited in.
Young - good detail and he stands out well from the background.
Food - That's a good story triptych story

Thanks Alison for looking at my photos and adding comments.

Inventive interpretation of the food theme Pete!
Great story and a well taken set of images.
Nicely done.(y)

Thank you for your Comment Garath.

Pete

I like your image for smooth Pete, nicely fits the theme.
Terrific light you had there on the banks, with great colours, and the composition is good.
I might have been tempted to lower the shutter speed to blur the train a little....add some smoothness, but that's just me.
Still a jolly decent image Pete!(y)

Hi Pete,

Wet - Well, I never knew watercolours came in tubes, I always assume the blocks too.
I think I prefer the wider version, more context.

Free - Hmm, sorry, not for me, not even any brickwork to add texture.. Still, that's just me.

Entrance - Bang on theme and technique (SooC can be hard, can't it). FWIW, I don't think the horizontals are out, I think it's perspective giving the impression.

Young - In Swanage and taking pictures of gulls when there was a perfectly good Flying Scotsman to take shots of instead?
FS is 96 years young too, so bang on theme !!! ;)

Food - Hehehe, fun triptych. 12st5lb isn't anything to worry about. Eat more chips :)

Smooth - Nice 'in the scenery' shot of the train.

Three good images to catch up.
YOUNG - spot on compostion and dof
FOOD - just the fish and chips for me!!
SMOOTH - trains passing by do evoke 'smooth' now I come to think of it. Good idea for the theme.

Nice image for food -good idea and looks bloody lovely

Smooth,- yup, as others have said, I think some blur to the train would have worked well here

For This week above I give you

Wk15 Train Above the Great Ouse by Peter, on Flickr

Another train, with a bit of blur this week, above the River Great Ouse. There is a grey mark which I have to presume is a cloud as the lens is clean, no dirty finger prints,
a local train had passed just before which may have been diesel powered so maybe some exhust fumes.

Pete

Last edited:
Terrific image Pete!(y)
Great use of reflections and the colours work very nicely....that splash of red at the front of the train is marvellous!
Really nice motion blur on the train too....looks like it's really shifting!!
Lovely stuff!:clap:

Continuing the Virgin theme for Hot.

TP Wk16 Hot by Peter, on Flickr

Just happened to be lucky that it floated by the house, not close enough to get a lot of detail and the amount of haze was just about removed. Not SOOC as the sensor had some dirt near to the ballon and the anti haze highlighted it.

Pete

Last edited:
Hi Pete, just having a catch up on your thread,

YOUNG A super shot of the gull even though they are the bane of our life on our pond, nicely captured detail and movement in the water.

FOOD Love the inclusion of the scales ...we've all been there, excellent fun take on the theme.

SMOOTH Hope they were having a smooth journey, nicely captured through the trees.

ABOVE The bridge and reflection of the train really add interest, well spotted.

HOT Well that was a lucky one :) looks like a lovely day for a trip in a hot air balloon, the red is really eye catching against the blue sky.

Fab balloon!

Hi Pete
A bit of a catch up from me...

Young - I really like this. The Gull looks sharp to see and I love the sparkly bits in the OOF water behind.
Food - Another great set of shots. A great idea!
Smooth - It's not working for me unfortunately.
Above - Nice setting and a good hit for the theme. I like the serene river and the blur in the train above.
Hot - Spot on and well captured to show the burner flame.

Nicely done for hot. I like the framing and the contrast of the colours of the image

Great shot for Hot Pete, looks like a glorious day!!

For Wk17 I have followed the Red theme (Virgin Brand) to Red Light and not the District for those with a mucky mind.
This one could be a double light themed photo seeing the light is attached to a Lotus Elise where they add Lightness.
TP WK 17 Lotus Add Light by Peter, on Flickr

and at a local roundabout which was not as busy as other times.

TP Wk17 Stop Light by Peter, on Flickr

Not sure which one to pick

Pete

For me the second Light image works best. Great use of the longer exposure to make the lights draw your eye through the frame. Really nice.

Back