weekly Seaodyssey's 52 for 2019 Week 51 Chrissmasy & Wk52 Outtake

Good crowd shot, what on earth is the matter with the guy in the middle

Great work Pete!:clap:
Light: Both are tremendous images, I love the Lotus tail lights, but I'm a sucker for light trails, and yours are top notch!
Crowd: Fantastically timed shot....what a great expression you've captured there....perfect composition and exposure!

Hot – Bang on theme. Like the bright red against the pale blue sky. Like the sunlight on the right-hand side too. Looks good on the 1/3rd has space for the balloon to move into.

Light – Second one for me. Light trails look really good against the black background and you can see all three traffic lights shinning due to the exposure time which is cool!

Crowd – Nice composition, the guy in the middle looks like he’s having a lot more fun than I would be!

I like both of those light images. Maybe the first ust pips it for me as it's a little abstract, but the light trails on the second are spot on.

Crowd - absolutely bang on for theme. Loads of people, loads of drama and interest and really crisp. Liking this

Great to see Eric Pollard running, a good shot for the theme.

I had to look up who Eric Pollard was, no wonder I didn't know, I don't have enough spare time or desire to watch soaps.

Great work Pete!:clap:
Light: Both are tremendous images, I love the Lotus tail lights, but I'm a sucker for light trails, and yours are top notch!
Crowd: Fantastically timed shot....what a great expression you've captured there....perfect composition and exposure!

Thanks Gareth for your kind comments.

Pete, light great image! Especially the vibrancy of the red
Crowd, great capture. His expression is an achievement of his race

Thanks Chris for your comments, much appreciated.

Hot – Bang on theme. Like the bright red against the pale blue sky. Like the sunlight on the right-hand side too. Looks good on the 1/3rd has space for the balloon to move into.

Light – Second one for me. Light trails look really good against the black background and you can see all three traffic lights shinning due to the exposure time which is cool!

Crowd – Nice composition, the guy in the middle looks like he’s having a lot more fun than I would be!

Thanks for your comments Dom, I guess the guy in question was having a walk in the park as his vest says he's a pace runner, so has many marathons under his belt and not all of the chocolate variety either.

I like both of those light images. Maybe the first ust pips it for me as it's a little abstract, but the light trails on the second are spot on.

Crowd - absolutely bang on for theme. Loads of people, loads of drama and interest and really crisp. Liking this

Thanks Ian.

For This week I have 2 images.

This first one I like a lot, but I can't get the processing right. I have a copy of On1 Raw 2019.2 which I put about 5 images to create this one below, but there are errors on it around the single left and on the right hand side, I tried it with Photoshop CS6 which did nor manage to get a decent image out at all. This was taken with my 105mm macro lens and when I adjusted the focus slighty the Image appeared to grow in the view finder. The markings on the barrel of the lens show different magnifications as you change focus so I guess this is what is happening. The next version of ON1 Raw out in the next couple of weeks has improved focus stacking.
Wk19 Decay2 by Peter, on Flickr

The next image is a close up but not macro.
Wk19 Decay by Peter, on Flickr

Pete

CROWD - as others have said, really well-timed shot. If there had been a finishing-line tape across the shot ………..

Light
The light trails work best for me.

Crowd
I like it, especially 3:15

Going for this one for Wk19 Decay Macro Closeup.

Rusty Old Flower Pot, taken with my little used Sigma 105mm Macro Lens, 6 Images focus stacked.
The Image on Flickr is much better than on here.

Wk19 Decay3 by Peter, on Flickr

Pete

Last edited:
Nice image, you're right it does look better in Flickr (must be down to the way the firum software compresses, or something else more technical than I understand!). Right on theme.

Nice decaying theme there. That's a sorry looking old bucket. Nicely macro'd

Nice bit of rust with some good detail there still seems a couple of points were the focus stacking hasn’t quite worked but nice idea for the theme

Hi Pete, Been too long since I have been on to comment! I keep saying I will keep up but never seem to manage to. Of the most recent ones I liked Food that did make me chuckle. Hot, I like the position of the balloon in the frame, a bluer sky would really have made it pop, but you can only go with what you a given. Love the crowd image. the guy with his arms up is great and finally Decay, nice warm colours from the sun bring out the texture in the rust (y)

CROWD - as others have said, really well-timed shot. If there had been a finishing-line tape across the shot ………..

They still had another 6 miles to go, but he was enjoying his run.
Light
The light trails work best for me.

Crowd
I like it, especially 3:15
Nice image, you're right it does look better in Flickr (must be down to the way the firum software compresses, or something else more technical than I understand!). Right on theme.
That`s a great shot for decay Pete, and agree it looks a lot better on Flickr.
Great image Pete!(y)
Terrific detail and textures in that rusty surface, and the spiky plant tops off a very nice image.
Looked on Flickr, and indeed it does look better.
The Sigma 105mm macro really is a great lens....I love mine!!
Nice decaying theme there. That's a sorry looking old bucket. Nicely macro'd
Nice macro details and texture of the rusty steel. Like your idea of using focus stacking to maximise the depth of field.
Nice bit of rust with some good detail there still seems a couple of points were the focus stacking hasn’t quite worked but nice idea for the theme
Pete, right on theme and technical too ! Great composition!
Google says the problem with the stacking is caused by "Focus Breathing" and on some forums they say that a focus rack cures it which I can not see, if you move the camera the item gets bigger the closer you get, maybe the software copes with it better, Something to try out, I think it will take a long time.

Hi Pete, Been too long since I have been on to comment! I keep saying I will keep up but never seem to manage to. Of the most recent ones I liked Food that did make me chuckle. Hot, I like the position of the balloon in the frame, a bluer sky would really have made it pop, but you can only go with what you a given. Love the crowd image. the guy with his arms up is great and finally Decay, nice warm colours from the sun bring out the texture in the rust (y)

I don't know where times goes this year, it is much harder to find time to comment.

Thank you all for your comments and observations.

Cheers Pete

Wk20 Free / Snappers choice and Green
This week I have gone flower mad, well only slightly due to time constraints and a bad back.
_DSC3673 by Peter, on Flickr
Allium purple sensation

Wk20 Free Rose by Peter, on Flickr
Rose

Wk20 Free Iris by Peter, on Flickr
Iris

I thought about doing some more focus stacking of the flowers but gave up due to the wind blowing them around. All where taken with a Macro lens.

And just to give one more focus stacked image.
Processor Chip Macro Focus Stacked by Peter, on Flickr
Under side of an Intel CPU

Pete

Last edited:
Terrifically bright and colourful set of images Pete!:clap:
I for one, salute your flower madness!
Your posted image is fantastic, but I think I night prefer the Iris image....not sure why, I think it's the colours just click with me.
But really I'm hard pushed to pick a favourite, so I won't, they're all so good!
And I also really like the focus stacked macro BGA chip too.
It's unsurprising that electronics engineers refer to chip 'architecture', when you see these devices close up....they really do look like miniature cities....albeit rather more neat and ordered and probably a lot less smelly!:giggle:
Very nicely done Pete!(y)

Very nicely done. Lovely set of vibrant flowers - i really like them. The second one for me personally.

And i'm glad that Gareth pointed out what the other item was as I was struggling there. Nice macro, very punchy and interesting

Hi Pete, Ive just had a look back, really liking your light trails, I've never managed to be very successful as that, perfect for the theme.
Crowd is spot on too, they are very close together, I assume its near the end as that guy looks happy, if not he did a great pose for you.
Decay, the macro rust is my favourite, I went to look on Flickr but they're doing maintenance today!
The garden flowers are all super, nature never fails does it, I think the Iris is my favourite but they are all beautiful.

Terrifically bright and colourful set of images Pete!:clap:
I for one, salute your flower madness!
Your posted image is fantastic, but I think I night prefer the Iris image....not sure why, I think it's the colours just click with me.
But really I'm hard pushed to pick a favourite, so I won't, they're all so good!
And I also really like the focus stacked macro BGA chip too.
It's unsurprising that electronics engineers refer to chip 'architecture', when you see these devices close up....they really do look like miniature cities....albeit rather more neat and ordered and probably a lot less smelly!:giggle:
Very nicely done Pete!(y)
Very nicely done. Lovely set of vibrant flowers - i really like them. The second one for me personally.

And i'm glad that Gareth pointed out what the other item was as I was struggling there. Nice macro, very punchy and interesting
Hi Pete, Ive just had a look back, really liking your light trails, I've never managed to be very successful as that, perfect for the theme.
Crowd is spot on too, they are very close together, I assume its near the end as that guy looks happy, if not he did a great pose for you.
Decay, the macro rust is my favourite, I went to look on Flickr but they're doing maintenance today!
The garden flowers are all super, nature never fails does it, I think the Iris is my favourite but they are all beautiful.
Of the set of images Pete my choice is the rose, lovely and colourful and a nice shot too.
Pete I agree with Dave the rose is a nice shot
I love alliums but I think the rose is the better pic lovely colour in it
Thank you for your comments. I thought he allium colour was more stunning than the rose, but it was hard which one to pick.

Pete

Despite being brought up not far from Craigellachie, I prefer the nuts one! Maybe cloned out the reflection just above them.

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

Loving the crowd shot - so dynamic and the chap in the middle is having way too much fun!
Decay - It fits the theme nicely and the focus stacking has bought more out of the image (although I echo other comments regarding the artefacts in the image - I hope the next version of On1 sorts it out).
Snapper's choice - all great shots. I too love Alliums but the processor is the one for me. It brings out my inner geek!
Whole - two good shots there. I think my preference is for the whole bottle. Probably as I am a bit of a fan of malt. I agree with them not staying whole long though!

Whole - it's the chocolate for me as the first one doesn't really fit for me (and I do like a shoehorn) ;)

Chocolate for me too, they are a bit plonked in front of the camera though, if you know what I mean.

Whole
Both are pretty good, I think I'd go for the chocolate shot.

Back