weekly Seaodysseys 52 for 2021 (Critique Welcome) Week 51 & 52

Nice one Pete :)

I like the composition. It is a little dark on my screen and in Flickr - the garlic press handle disappears into the background. The warm colours work well with the steel knife and press.

Your still life is bright enough on my iPad and I have the level below half. I can see all the elements against the background. I might have moved the slightly to leave a slight gap to to garlic press.

Nice one Pete :)

Thank you Dave
Looks fine on my iPad Pete, I really like it, it has an artwork look about it .....one small thing, I’d prefer the onion out of the net

Thank you Susie, I did wonder about the bag but left them in to keep them together, there was not much room on the board.
I like the composition. It is a little dark on my screen and in Flickr - the garlic press handle disappears into the background. The warm colours work well with the steel knife and press.

Thank you Helen, I can see the handle of the garlic press clearly on my monitor, if you are using a laptop, the screens are not the best with little adjustment available, my HP laptop is terrible.

I'm not really into still-life shots so maybe these comments are totally invalid and BS. Prefer the see the onions without the bag and could do with some reflected light on the right to balance the lighting.
Hi Stan
Thank you for your considered comment, I will get round to 2 light setups at some point.

The rosemary adds a lot to the set up.

Thank you David
Not dark at all on my monitor, and nicely set up, but I'd also like to have seen the onion naked (so to speak...)

ohh err missus
Your still life is bright enough on my iPad and I have the level below half. I can see all the elements against the background. I might have moved the slightly to leave a slight gap to to garlic press.

Thanks Stuart, I see what you mean.

Simple, but effective. Nicely presented. There are a couple of dust spots top left that it would have been nicer to get rid of.

Pair
Simple works and sometimes it's better. Good detail in the tweezers grips.

Simple, but effective. Nicely presented. There are a couple of dust spots top left that it would have been nicer to get rid of.

I thought I had got them all

That works so well, clean simple lines and a nice little reflection, I like that a lot Pete.

Thanks Susie
Nicely lit Pete and l like the way the background darkens at the top.

Thanks Pete, The inverse square law works to good effect, was lite by a small LED light.

Very nice. Really eye catching and although simplistic in style it is very well executed.

Thank you Steve
Yep, good work.

Thank you David

Very nicely done.
Pair
Simple works and sometimes it's better. Good detail in the tweezers grips.

Thanks Dominic

Thank you all for your comments

I'm sorry Pete, but my 1st guess was the Railway Children which it clearly isn't after the 1935 clue.

Then I spent a while looking at the photo asking myself what I could see and I (think I) figured it out!

Is it the 39 Steps?

If I'm right, that was a tricky one to frame and you did well with it. Makes much more sense when you know what the film is.

I'm going for 39 Steps, Bridge over the River Kwai for the first 2.

I'm not sure about the 3rd (in which I love the thousand shades of green), but I could imagine a Gruffalo in there! :ROFLMAO:

I had thought Trainspotting for the first but 39 steps suggested by Harlequin would make more sense. I do like this one, reminds me of a bridge I used to walk over to get primary school.

No idea on #3.

39 Steps ... brilliant!

It's a classy film, and this is about the least classy thing I ever saw. :ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry Pete, but my 1st guess was the Railway Children which it clearly isn't after the 1935 clue.

Then I spent a while looking at the photo asking myself what I could see and I (think I) figured it out!

Is it the 39 Steps?

If I'm right, that was a tricky one to frame and you did well with it. Makes much more sense when you know what the film is.
I'm going for 39 Steps, Bridge over the River Kwai for the first 2.

I'm not sure about the 3rd (in which I love the thousand shades of green), but I could imagine a Gruffalo in there! :ROFLMAO:
I thought Trainspotting for the first.

And assumed bridge over the River Kwai on the second.

No idea about the third.
I will reveal the third one later this week
I had thought Trainspotting for the first but 39 steps suggested by Harlequin would make more sense. I do like this one, reminds me of a bridge I used to walk over to get primary school.

No idea on #3.
I was thinking 39 steps too. Not sure about #3 either!

#3 film is Tanglewood.

Pete

Film
Good composition. I wasn't sure of the film(s), but that's just me, in rubbish at getting these things.

I'm also rubbish at getting the films, American Graffiti popped into my head, Bridge over the River Kwai? Trainspotting?

Glass bottles are harder to photograph than they look aren't they? Looks a tad soft on my screen, but you can tell it's half full so it fits the theme (y)

I'm also rubbish at getting the films, American Graffiti popped into my head, Bridge over the River Kwai? Trainspotting?

Glass bottles are harder to photograph than they look aren't they? Looks a tad soft on my screen, but you can tell it's half full so it fits the theme (y)
They are very hard, it's so shiny, I'm also decorating my Office/Studio/2nd bedroom/junk room, so it's really difficult, plus I processed it on my laptop on which the screen is terrible as my desktop in under a load of other stuff due to the decorating. I'm having to do the room in bits and move the furniture around after each bit is done, So far I have stripped the wallpaper and washed the wall down on about a 3rd of the walls, still to sand and prepaint, before putting on a coloured coat, the Mrs wants a bright orange, which will meally mess with my colour balance on the monitors.

Pete

Looks a bit soft to me too I'm afraid but does what is required ;)

Interestingly grainy. Artistic choice perchance?

As I converted it to B&W I added a film grain filter, but difficult to judge on my laptop screen, My desktop with a decent monitor in in the currently being redecorated 2nd bedroom, junk room, studio, study and is under dust clothes all bunched up in one half of the room.

Pete

Pete

I think you pretty much nailed that Pete :)

Reflection
That's a really sharp reflection, it's more like looking through a window.

They are very hard, it's so shiny, I'm also decorating my Office/Studio/2nd bedroom/junk room, so it's really difficult, plus I processed it on my laptop on which the screen is terrible as my desktop in under a load of other stuff due to the decorating. I'm having to do the room in bits and move the furniture around after each bit is done, So far I have stripped the wallpaper and washed the wall down on about a 3rd of the walls, still to sand and prepaint, before putting on a coloured coat, the Mrs wants a bright orange, which will meally mess with my colour balance on the monitors.

Pete
I know what it's like. I have never really managed to get my office/junk room sorted after I redecorated in a similar fashion - shifting things around the room. Orange is one of my favourite colours, but it will surely will be an interesting challenge for your photography :D

Reflections - That is a very clean mirror! On theme and well done for not getting yourself in it!

Bang on theme. I bought a mirror for the garden and ended up hanging it in the house :)

Reflection
I never seen it as a mirror so well done, I had assumed it was a open frame I was looking through

Back