weekly Seaodysseys 52 for 2021 (Critique Welcome) Week 51 & 52

For Week 10 Rough and Week 11 Smooth.

Week 10 a rough post acting as a rough guide.
Wk10 Rough by Peter, on Flickr

Week11 Smooth
Quick off the mark with this one as I have just sanded a wall smooth ready to paint 2 coats white and 2 coats Orange paint.

Wk11 Smooth by Peter, on Flickr

Pete

That was quick of the mark Pete, and well shoehorned for smooth :D

I think you pretty much nailed that Pete :)
Reflection
That's a really sharp reflection, it's more like looking through a window.
I love the idea of having a mirror in the garden, that’s a super reflection, spot on for the theme.
I know what it's like. I have never really managed to get my office/junk room sorted after I redecorated in a similar fashion - shifting things around the room. Orange is one of my favourite colours, but it will surely will be an interesting challenge for your photography :D

Reflections - That is a very clean mirror! On theme and well done for not getting yourself in it!
Bang on theme. I bought a mirror for the garden and ended up hanging it in the house :)
Reflection
I never seen it as a mirror so well done, I had assumed it was a open frame I was looking through

Thanks for the comments, the mirror was not that clean, but adding some contrast and a bit of De-haze sorted it out.
We have 2 mirrors in the corner of the garden under a small archway thing, it looks like there is another part of the garden. Some of the birds are fooled by it as well, they think they see another bird on their patch. Btw Mrs Seaodyssey is head gardener, I'm just the hole digger.

Pete

Rough
It's certainly looking a bit past it's best, but will probably be there for a few more years yet.

Smooth
A tweek of white balance I think would benefit, it's looking a bit warm.

Thanks for the Comments Dominic

Smooth
A tweek of white balance I think would benefit, it's looking a bit warm.

That will be the Orange paint on the other walls, doing the decorating in stages and having to move stuff around to continue.

Pete

Rough and smooth.. nice to see you're getting out and about in between the decorating!

Rough
I've certainly seen some interesting formations on posts, there's even at least one Instagram the features them

Smooth
You will definitely achieve a better finish with the proper sanding first, I've done half hearted sanding before and regretted it after adding the paint

Rough and smooth.. nice to see you're getting out and about in between the decorating!

Getting out for daily exercise with the dog, tend to go 1 of 2 routes which allow for social distancing.

Rough
I've certainly seen some interesting formations on posts, there's even at least one Instagram the features them

Smooth
You will definitely achieve a better finish with the proper sanding first, I've done half hearted sanding before and regretted it after adding the paint

Thank you Stuart

Nice close up Pete.

Lovely sign of things warming up. I’m hoping to plant a magnolia tree this year.

Thanks Beebop
They are really nice, but the flowers don't last long at this time of year, expected frost tonight might be too much for them.

Nice close up Pete.

Thanks for your comments Chris.

That’s a really super shot Pete, really nicely done.

Thank you Susie

Wll I have finished the decorating of our bedroom, just have to shoehorn every thing back in, I put a load more stuff up in the loft this morning.

Anyway, fingers crossed I will have a wee bit more time for commenting.

Pete

Easter - Nice use of colour to brighten the shadows, and fits the bill for Easter.
Would it have been covered in snow today?
Alive - Oooh, I do like the purple you've captured in that shot!

Last edited:
Spring light & daffodils. Works really well. A nice composition to boot!

Easter - Nice use of colour to brighten the shadows, and fits the bill for Easter.
Would it have been covered in snow today?
Alive - Oooh, I do like the purple you've captured in that shot!

Thank you Tim, we did have some snow but not enough to cover anything.
When those buds open the colour is much lighter, more pink, the tree is covered with flowers at the moment, but they are suffering from the cold nights

Pete

Good depiction of Easter/spring with warm light, a hint of frost and the daffs.

Week14 Spring and Low Key Technique

TP365 2021 Week14 Spring by Peter, on Flickr

This was a rusty spring from a hanging garden seat. I used a octabox and studio flash. This is still all new for me and I set it up in my garage, which is now nearly empty. I'm pleased with the result, I tried to use a reflector to get the light on the top of the spring but it might be too rusty.

Pete

Really well lit to achieve the low key but recognisable balance.

I like the graphic simplicity in this, and the lighting works really nicely.

I like the lighting just enough to show the form of the object

Thank you Allan, just starting out on my artifical lighting journey, so I'm really pleased with it.
Lovely. That works perfectly for the theme and tech.
Was it suspended on a twine? Or laid flat on a black background... (I'm thinking suspended).
Hi Tim

Correct used some black cotton suspended on a boom arm.
Really well lit to achieve the low key but recognisable balance.

Thanks Helen, surprincing what you can do with some card.
I like the graphic simplicity in this, and the lighting works really nicely.

Thank you Nick.

Thank you all for taking your time to comment.
Pete

Week15 Snappers Choice.

For this weeks theme I have this Tillandsia Air Plant, I have never seen one before, but my wife got it as a present.

So it went into my garage/studio, 1 octabox and some black card as a background, it came in a fancy pot, but I did not have enough background to include the pot.

TP365 2021 Week15 Snappers Choice by Peter, on Flickr

Pete

Interesting plant I assume it will open up could do with the BG being a bit darker but otherwise well lit.

Nice pinky flower!

Interesting subject Pete.
I feel a tighter crop would work, just to remove the cropped leaves at the bottom but that's just a personal taste thing.

I understand the 'not enough' background problem - I had the same the other week.

Gorgeous colours and the black background works well. I might have had to brush that one leaf so it was going in the same direction as the others :) You've lit the leaves really nicely so there is lots of detail.

Back