weekly Seaodysseys 52 for the New Decade Wk51 and 52 Showcase and Decorations

Good use of the small aperture to keep the Rangie (I think) in focus as well as the can.
Quite crunchy editing... Some halos around the tress. I think from bringing the sky to life a bit?
I like the angle of the shot but a bit spoiled by the haloes round the trees and hedges.
Nice shot.. as already said the sky is a little distracting but then we can't order the weather and its been flat and grey all week in the east.
Nice low angle and composition. Not keen on the halo around the trees in the background. :thinking: I wonder a wide aperture for shallow depth of field would suit? :thinking:
A bit over processed with the halos around the trees, but right on theme, and I like the low PoV the large DoF.

I also discarded the flat grey sky and tried to replace it ( first time ) using a quick mask type thing, I was on my laptop and I found it too difficult to refine the mask around the small branches on such a small screen using the touch pad. When I get my desktop back in action late next year I will have another go at it.

Like the low POV and the way everything is kept in focus.
Good shot, those bloody cans are everywhere! Nice contrast between a discarded can and a .4x4
Very nice Pete!(y)
Great composition, and well done for getting everything in focus.
Though as others have said, the sky halos are a tiny bit distracting, still a good image.

Oh, and it's a LR Freelander isn't it?

I think it was a freelander, the defenders are big boxy things at that age.

Works well, especially with the inclusion of the freelander. I might have been tempted to crop out a bit more of the sky.

I didn't want to lose the top of fence line too much as it leads to the freelander along with the curb.

I too thought it was the car that had been discarded until I scrolled down but I found it. I like the low Pov

Good take on the theme I like the inclusion of the discovery in the BG

Bang on theme, sadly a common sight in the gutter these days. The rain and dampness gave the tarmac clarity, great DOF.

It shows discarded well and I quite like the inclusion of the car.

Thank you all for your positive comments

Pete

Snappers choice is good for the technique, the sky isn't that bad.

Discarded is a nice shot, good lines in that, snappers choice works for the technique for sure.
Sanppers Choice nice work on the Technic
Good that you got the technique done with how the weather is.

Thanks Rick, Mark and Dave

Works perfectly for the technique Pete.

Thanks Roger

Seems B & W images are the in thing this year, love the use of the diagonals in the cinema image, the steps lead you right up to the subject. Tools are nice and sharp, are they something you use ???? are you an engineer or something ???. Silhouette is spot on for technique, and another B & W image to boot :)

I did convert it to B&W, but to be honest it did not change it much.

I think the sky suits the scene quite well, a bit moody and not too dramatic.

Thanks Stan

As always thank you for your comments.
Pete

And why wouldn't anyone discard a Discovery?

:D

Apart from the sky its an image fit for the theme,
Would a contrasty B&W be better?

Not for me, I liked the Blue of the Red Bull Can, but why aren't they RED, Its a mystery to me.

Pete

Well you can see I don't like the stuff, had one once many many years ago, never made that mistake again.

Pete
I mixed one with Pernod years ago (I'd run out of coke) I was buzzing for the next 12 hours. I know I shouldn't have had one in the evening :D

Is the building a church? (Looks like a cross). An interesting shot that poses questions from the viewer and bang on for the technique.

Hi Tim

It is a church, quite modern. It is close to where I work, I was going to drive to a larger church in Milton Keynes and glanced across and saw the cross. A much better Silhoutte and I didn't have to lose a parking space.

Pete

Reactions: LC2
Hi Pete, I like your low POV and composition for Discarded, with the line of the kerb leading into the car in the distance. The halos around the tree branches are definitely distracting and I think you could get away with just cropping most of the sky off at the top. Stan's suggestion of a larger aperture to reduce DOF may have worked well too. That aside, it's still a good one for the theme and sadly something we see too often.

You found an interesting structure for week 5 to get your silhouette in. The sky sets it off quite well too and the bare branches add a good balance.

Fits the technique.. had the same problem myself with blank sky.

Hi Pete, I like your low POV and composition for Discarded, with the line of the kerb leading into the car in the distance. The halos around the tree branches are definitely distracting and I think you could get away with just cropping most of the sky off at the top. Stan's suggestion of a larger aperture to reduce DOF may have worked well too. That aside, it's still a good one for the theme and sadly something we see too often.

You found an interesting structure for week 5 to get your silhouette in. The sky sets it off quite well too and the bare branches add a good balance.

Thank you Andrea fo your comments.

Fits the technique.. had the same problem myself with blank sky.

Time of the year with the sky I guess.

Nice silhouette, good choice for the technique.

Thank you Clive.

Pete

It works well for the technique despite the sky it stands out well and is unusual

For this weeks Wild theme

Primula vulgaris2 by Peter, on Flickr

I did try some long exposure of some trees being buffetted in the Wild winds we had on Sunday, but it was not that effective, I did not want to show blown down fencing as ours had been replaced on the Thursday/Friday and hopefully will be good for many years to come. I sometimes see a fox while out giving Dudley his last walk late at night, but he has not been around these last couple of weeks. So it's down to some wild primose in a local woods.

Pete

You've beaten me to it. I've taken my photo of wild primrose this lunchtime.
I'm sure they're a bit earlier this year, well it has been quite mild.

I've not seen anything but "buds" well spotted and captured Pete.

Last edited:
Hi Pete, I had just commented on Nostromo’s when I scrolled down to yours and had to do a double take... nice take with the woody background

Yep - nice that :)

Like the way you have managed to get some background blur in this picture, nice colour contrast with the fallen leaves.

Everything seems to be appearing early this year. Nice capture and dof

Well spotted I have seen shoots and buds but no flowers yet

Wild - Nice find for the theme Pete some our plants are starting to flower this week.

Nice colourful bunch of primrose there Pete, they must be in a nice sunny sheltered spot for to be out in bloom so quickly.

Last edited:
Found this weeks theme difficult, did not want to do any broken branches or fences as they do not look that good. Then this morning I remembered the Wolverton Railway works that back onto the Grand Union canal, I have done this before in 2018TP wk27 Derelict, so I went back today and on my way went past a broken door. I took a few shots of the Railway works and here is one
TP WK7 Broken by Peter, on Flickr
It is a grey old day and it could rain so the colours are not so bright.
I went back and took a couple of shots of the broken door glass and here is the best one.
TP WK7 Broken2 by Peter, on Flickr
It was difficult to see the result on the back screen and it's a bit soft at the bottom but it's an interesting abstract.

Pete

Broken - I like both the second one is very abstract the Mono works well I'd be tempted to try B&W for No 1 too.

Agree with Mark.. the lack of light on #1 would possibly work well in mono. #2 makes a great abstract.

Broken is very nice, I was trying to find something like that yesterday, but couldn't see anything, grseat shot :)

IO really like the image you chose for broken, an interesting abstract that fits the theme very well indeed.

Number 1 for broken, the ivy along the diagonal bottom to top leads really nicely up to the window. Well spotted and captured.

Really like your broken glass image Pete it really appeals to me, "right up my street" as the saying goes. Not obvious and nearly abstract makes you think. Well spotted and executed.:)

Last edited:
Back