weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

Weather not looking any better, still just white clould every where, So I have decided to stay in the warm and post my Fireguard Image from above, just to keep you all toasty

Pete

I like the fire one most, good work

Guard - Yep, the fireguard for me as it's verging on the abstract. Nice one.

Thick - I take it that this represents the thick end of the wedge. Good take on the theme.

Last edited:
Guard - Yep, the fireguard for me as it's verging on the abstract. Nice one.

Thick - I take it that this represents the thick end of the wedge. Good take on the theme.

Yes it does Lee, It was a bit rushed as I had to go and buy 4 bags of Horse Pooh from the local garden centre after work, make the wedge, take Dudley for a walk and post up here.

I was going to do fireguard but a) blocked our chimney up and b) don't have a fireguard so I'm glad to see a great take on the theme.

Hi Frank

Well we had to unblock the fireplace and have the horrid bricks of the fireplace replaced with some more in keeping with our home.

Clever idea Pete and quick off the mark, but agree with Allan the focus appears to be on the thin end of the wedge:D

I like the fire guard - no great sharpness to it and the colours and shape of the mess give it a great abstract feel

A lot better now, as far as I know. Once you put your shot in the Main post you can`t then change it for a better one.
he hasn't really changed it to something radically different though, what happened to "there are no rules" everyone was so keen on last year

Guard, I really like the colour in the fire shot.

Thick end of the wedge-great idea, I prefer the first of the two posted together. For me, the colour of the wedge and the wood is sitting on are too similar, which makes me wonder what it would look like in mono.

Hi Pete,

Guard - Whilst I'm drawn to #3, #4 wins it for me because of the rich colours of the fire through the guard.
Is there some pin-cushion effect going on? Or is the guard bent / curved.
Thick - I prefer the one I assume was the original
(https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2018-week-8-thick.670319/page-4#post-8091671)
Yes, it's warm, but the latter images look overly yellow to me. Nice work for the theme.

Hi Pete,

Guard - Whilst I'm drawn to #3, #4 wins it for me because of the rich colours of the fire through the guard.
Is there some pin-cushion effect going on? Or is the guard bent / curved. .

The guard is curved.
Yes, it's warm, but the latter images look overly yellow to me. Nice work for the theme.

The image was taken on a waxed tabletop, which happen to look like floorboards and the wedge was made out of old pine.
The 2 pictures are pretty much spot on colour balance wise, the origninal is warm from the ceiling light out of the shot.

Pete

I am with Mandy preferring the first of the corrected images. I like the little shadow, as LC2 would say it grounds it.:)

I am with Mandy preferring the first of the corrected images. I like the little shadow, as LC2 would say it grounds it.:)

Thanks Roger (and Mandy) I never noticed the shadow that much, but now it has been mentioned I can agree with you.

the fireguard for me!

thick is a clever idea and (after you've corrected the WB) well executed!

Just a quick catch up from me, Chris, and my favourites of your recent posts would be the colour version of Sharp, which was a great choice of subject and I like the way the leaves are pointing skywards. I like your thought process with your various images for Guard, and the big grey safety guard is a strong one for the theme, but I have to choose the fireguard as it makes me feel warm just to look at those well exposed colours of the flames. Finally, Thick is an original idea and the edit has sorted out the WB very nicely (y)

I struggled with this weeks theme. I did not want to photograph an abundance of snow as many used it last week for "Thick" and there is not anywhere local to me where the snow looks nice and pristine in a nice location, not after all the kids have been out making snow men and sledging on any hill of note, also I had a very bad cold thursday onwards last week. I had thought of "A Bun Dance" as a couple of others have done, and they where quick off the mark.

Abundance, a synonym of which is overflowing and I found a rare reference to 10 a penny, so I put the 3 together.
I also wanted to try focus stacking, and I had a small newly acquired bit of Black Persplex. the result is ( after having to clone out outs of dust from the persplex )
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22cNf6q]Abundance Overflowing 10 a Penny for 52 by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

Pete

I like it a lot Pete. You did your research and added extra meaning to the image. The only slight downside for me, is that the row of coins seem to bright and bleached out

I like the added story with ten-a-penny and the stacking looks good.

I like it a lot Pete. You did your research and added extra meaning to the image. The only slight downside for me, is that the row of coins seem to bright and bleached out

I used some clean coins thinking they would look nicer, I only had a very limited time and after failing to use bounched flash to light the scene I went for just the room light, which was just above where the coins where, I took 2 stacks of images, before having to pack it all away.
I processed them the next morning before posting it. If I had the time and after seeing the results I may have reshot the image. To good to learn things and also make mistakes.

Pete

I quite like that Pete, it works quite well, just needs a better bg if i'm being picky.

The background was just a sheet of black cartridge paper and I did not want it to be in focus, I like the way the light is as it makes the main event stand out. My main FOCUS on this image was to do some focus Stacking, which I think worked well.

I did try to use my Sgma 105mm Macro lens but found it very hard to set up, I suppose I need a "focus rail" to be able to frame the picture. I also found my bit of black persplex to be a bit small.

Back