weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

The temptation to do eggs is quite great for this theme, given it's Easter too. Fair play going automotive related.
The indicator pips it I believe, as there are no distractions, whereas you have the reflection of the wheel and some background in the alternative shot.

Thanks Tim, it is a simpler Image, not much you can do with reflactions on such a curvy car.

I agree with Tim above the indicator works better to much bright light in the headlight

Thanks for the comment Allan.

Nice shots for the theme Pete, I like oval 2 more

Thanks Tilz, everybodies opinion is different and valid, thanks for your comments.

Pete

I like the blinds for Juxtaposition. Not sure if it's on theme tho. :)

And the indicator in the rain. (y)

Last edited:
Oval #1 for me too, given the crop I might have liked more DoF but it does the job

Juxtaposition: great idea and like it had me looking, wish I had of thought something like that for my Over theme.
Oval: Like this as well, the water drops adds to it as well.

Walter

I hope there is a rook to the right of that queen otherwise white is going to be a major piece down! :)

I like your shots of the oval headlight, you could also have used it for 'WET'.

The first one for oval, less distraction!

Two very good Oval shots Sir, both work very well for the theme, with the indicator shot being the stronger for me.(y)

George.

Catching up again..

Heavy, I prefer the first image of the power station, but the IQ lets it down; the distance looks a bit noisy and also a tad oof.
Wet, a nice enough shot, but the light wasn't doing you any favours.
Juxtaposition, I like both shots here. The chess one is let down a bit by the dust on the perspex, but a nice idea. I think increasing the brightness on the reflections could improve it too.
Oval, the indicator shot for me., aprtly because the highlights in the headlight shot are too bright, but mainly because I like the colour and the droplets more on this shot.

Juxtaposition - Chess set for me nice colours and set up

Oval = First one for me good take on the theme

Oval is great idea and nicely done. Nice Elise.......

Thanks Mark, and it is nice.

I like the blinds for Juxtaposition. Not sure if it's on theme tho. :)

And the indicator in the rain. (y)

The juxapostion shot is for light and shade. Thanks for your comments David.

Oval #1 for me too, given the crop I might have liked more DoF but it does the job

Thanks Chris.

Juxtaposition: great idea and like it had me looking, wish I had of thought something like that for my Over theme.
Oval: Like this as well, the water drops adds to it as well.

Walter

Thanks for your comments Walter, the water drops were not my doing, they are natural.

I hope there is a rook to the right of that queen otherwise white is going to be a major piece down! :)

I like your shots of the oval headlight, you could also have used it for 'WET'.

Hi Martin, I wanted all the pieces to be on opposite coloured squares to stand out and so was not overly bothered about position.
Pete

The first one for oval, less distraction!

Thanks Berrnd

Two very good Oval shots Sir, both work very well for the theme, with the indicator shot being the stronger for me.(y)

George.

Thanks for your Comments George.

Catching up again..

Heavy, I prefer the first image of the power station, but the IQ lets it down; the distance looks a bit noisy and also a tad oof.
Wet, a nice enough shot, but the light wasn't doing you any favours.
Juxtaposition, I like both shots here. The chess one is let down a bit by the dust on the perspex, but a nice idea. I think increasing the brightness on the reflections could improve it too.
Oval, the indicator shot for me., aprtly because the highlights in the headlight shot are too bright, but mainly because I like the colour and the droplets more on this shot.

Jon

I have lots of catching up to do, only seem to get round to the same people time and again.
For Heavy, it was a long distance away and there was a lot of Haze, it was also taken on my Canon G11, not the best.

Juxapostion, bleeding Dust gets every where.

On the headlight shot I found the water drops on the clear part very hard to see, so I wacked the unsharp mask upto max, which have halos to the other droplets, I liked the indicator shot better, but that was hard to isolate from the headlight.

Pete

Juxtaposition - Chess set for me nice colours and set up

Oval = First one for me good take on the theme

Thanks Mark.

Juxtaposition

Nice chess shot, a bit of thought has gone into that.

Oval

They both look good for the theme and I like the water droplets.

Juxtapostition - The Chess one is very clever, great set up and works well
Oval - I like the first one better,

For me you could pretty much crop off the bottom half but a good idea for the theme and a strong image

What others have said about the foreground, but great idea and great photo!

Straight perfect for the theme I like the PoV but would agree with others about cropping the out of focus foreground

I have found it difficult to find unattractive things to take a photo of, but I now have an idea, coming this way shortley

Pete

Wk15 Unattractive.

I have 2 shots this week.
Thoughts about going here are Unattractive to me, why pay money to exercise when you can do so much for FREE.
unattractive by Peter, on Flickr

This second shot is a bit of an unattractive eyesore with the Orange plastic fencing. It was even more unattractive after the grass had been dug up to lay some cables, at least it will be more attractive.
Unattractive2 by Peter, on Flickr

Pete

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

Straight - Works well for the theme, but with such strong leading lines I think something at the end for the lines to lead to would add an extra something to the image.

Unattractive - I'm with Dave on this, the angle for #1 just seems too odd. Maybe you were going for a Dutch angle? But the way it's falling forward doesn't do it any favours. Plenty of colour in #2, but as you say, the fencing is an eyesore.

Even though the 2nd is busy in the BG I will go for that, as the 1st is all wrong on the verticals.

Hi Pete,

Straight - Works well for the theme, but with such strong leading lines I think something at the end for the lines to lead to would add an extra something to the image.

Unattractive - I'm with Dave on this, the angle for #1 just seems too odd. Maybe you were going for a Dutch angle? But the way it's falling forward doesn't do it any favours. Plenty of colour in #2, but as you say, the fencing is an eyesore.

Tim and Dave, on the first image the angle was deliberate to make the picture even more unatractive, I think it worked.

For the shadow Theme I have a few.
In order I like them (at the Moment)
I did try converting to B&W but it loses a touch of detail.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/GN84WK]Old Tree Shadow by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

This one is much better in B&W
[url=https://flic.kr/p/GN84xP]Wall Shadow by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

Shame about the weeds at the side of the bridge, but I like the shadows leading into the background.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/GN84PR]Railings Shadow by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

These next 2 tie for the last position.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/GN84Ci]Tree Shadow by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]
and
[url=https://flic.kr/p/GN84LV]Road Shadow by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

Thats all for now.
Pete

The second photo for unattractive is a bit too busy for my taste, so I'd have to go with the first one...

So much to choose from for shadow... I'd say #2, with the strangely shaped shadows on the front door!

Last edited:
I like the wall shadow best, but maybe a smaller section of the lines on the brickwork would work better.

Back