weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

Week 0 - Like the motion blur on the trai, don't think it matters you missed the front. Contrast with calm water and static mural/mosaic is good.
Week 1- Not too keen on the tryptych. Perhaps just a close up of one part of the gate might have been better.
Week 2 - The first of the shots through the window with reflections works best for me. The second one the foliage would be better with the foreground out of focus.

Thanks for your comments. I prefer that shot as well, something to think about next time for that second shot.

I don't think you second set works all that well, looks a bit rushed and in my opinion you used the wrong lens for shooting people. In my experience people don't bite if they even notice that they've been photographed... :)

People
I like the second of the first set. The way the people seem to fit into the window frames works well.

I don't think you second set works all that well, looks a bit rushed and in my opinion you used the wrong lens for shooting people. In my experience people don't bite if they even notice that they've been photographed... :)
Hi Bernd

I was hoping to forshorten people walking towards me (with the long lens) down between the buildings, problem was not enough people came out, may be due to the weather, the time I was there or some other such reason.
I had a plan, it just did not work out. :-(

I really like your first photo for stark, very contrasty, big negative space at the top. And a cute dog (y)

Looks like you missed focus on your dogs face but other than that a lovely dog and good processing for the theme. The second is a good find but difficult to frame with the sky and trees, I do like it though

I like it, focus issues aside it has a certain feel to it not sure on the infrared I think it could haver been made very contrasty without it

Looks like you missed focus on your dogs face but other than that a lovely dog and good processing for the theme. The second is a good find but difficult to frame with the sky and trees, I do like it though

Thanks for your Comments
When I started out to take this photo, I tried a flash light from the side, it did not fit in with what I wanted, I also used the torch, it was better but not what I really wanted. As I did not have anything to hold the torch over the top of Dudley, I put the camera on a tripod, got Dudley to sit and focused on his eyes, I put some toys on the floor so I would know where he should be.
I held the torch over his head and released the shutter, being a dog he did not sit still. He soon got fed up and started to play with his toys, I had a shot I was pleased with, not 100% but good enough and on theme.
I hope to be getting some flexible clamps sometime later this year.
If I was to do it again I would get some wood and strap the torch to one end and attach the other to the tripod with some clamps and handhold the camera.I'm learning from this.

Two very good Stark shots Sir, both fitting the theme very well. My fav' would be the dog shot but sadly its let down a tad by the out of focus main part of the image.(y)

George.

Hi Pete, Great timing to get the speeding train on the bridge and good lines with the canal and the towpath, just a shame about the weather, most people are having problems with that at the moment :) Well done for having a go with real people, I'm not that brave. I like the late xmas one best. I do like the composition of the 1st of the 2nd set but it isn't quite in focus :D I love the idea of your doggy shot but as others have said there are issues with the focus. They are a pain these live things when they keep moving :D

Last edited:
Stark - the dog for me good processing shame about the focus

Love the first one Pete - very on theme and very symmetrical

Nicely taken. Aren't those things usually fenced off to stop people climbing them? (though I can see it has anti climb measures on each leg).
There is a tiny bit of barrel distortion that shows up on the square bits. I see you're using CS6, there should be a lens profile for your kit.
With an image like this with clearly defined square shapes, the distortion does stand out a bit (at least, it did to me).

I think of the 3 shots, I actually prefer #3. You still have the nice blues, but you get the real sense of scale too, which is missing from #1

Number 1 is very abstract and I do like it; I too noticed the slight barrel distortion, Number 3 is just a picture of a pylon and doesn't do much for me so my favourite is number 2 as I like the tree in the picture and the fact that you can see many pylons running into the distance.

Last edited:
I like the abstractness of the the first best then the simplicity of the 3rd

Well done for trying so many different ideas and images for People, Pete! I haven't seen many 52ers saying how much they love taking photos of people and I think it was a tricky theme for a lot of us, myself included. That said, I really like the second image you posted, with not only several people but the added interest of the window frames, which adds a frame and some reflections too (y)

Your first image for Stark is a good idea, using light to produce stark contrast, and I am envious of your pylons for Over as we don't have any of those here and it's a structure I would love to take photos of. (Maybe next time we're in England I will be spotted running towards a pylon with camera in hand!) My favourite is the first one, looking up through the structure to show off all the shapes and angles, and definitely meets the theme exactly.

3 great images for Over Pete this is something I considered for mine. Love the way No 1 grabs your attention but I think No 3 is just as strong so as I can not decide I'll pick bot as joint favorite

That's a very nice take on the theme, I've been meaning on trying to get a shot of power lines stretching in to the distance for a while and this might just spur me in to action :)

#1 (y) but with a square crop.

#3 is good but the feet are missing. ;)

First shot for me, I spend a lot of time looking up when in towns and cities, as so much is hidden from the ground level. I also really like the diminishing returns of the pylon.

Stark - both good images but, dudley just has the edge good idea for the theme.

Over - nice set of images but on looking at them my eyes immediately drawn to the dust spots I can see in the sky, looks like a sensor clean is needed, as for the image a little bit of cloning will sort that out. they all fit the theme, but the third image has a much more interesting composition.

#1 with a square crop! Interesting PoV!

For your second take on over, that's an interesting idea, but I find it too busy, and not very sharp...

I have another Image for Over, there are quite a few in there, see if you can spot them all.

Overs by Peter, on Flickr

This is the first time I have set up an Image

Yup, so many in there - exceptional effort gone in to this one and I applaud you :clap::clap::clap:

Love this image - so much on theme

#1 with a square crop! Interesting PoV!

For your second take on over, that's an interesting idea, but I find it too busy, and not very sharp...
Try looking on Flickr, it is sharp on there.

Love the looking up the pylon shot!

Equally the new over shot is well composed and a great shot

Back