weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

My Area.

My Area TP 52 by Peter, on Flickr

Hot off the very cold press, taken this lunchtime to catch up with Week0

Some of the Transports links in my area. Taken with a Canon G11, it was slow. I was hoping to catch the front of the train, but only had 20 minutes to spare.

Pete

Last edited:
The path makes a nice lead-in,and I like the blur on the train, nice contrast with the tranquillity of the rest of the scene. I might be tempted to try a letter-box crop and lose the top third to put a bit more emphasis on the train.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Pete. I do like the motion you've captured in the train and the colours convey a sense of wintry cold. I agree with Chris that you could probably get away with a bit off the top (and possibly a smidge off the bottom) to really focus in on the train and the leading lines from the footpath and river.

Good luck with the rest of your 52 and I hope you enjoy the challenge :)

I'm going to hazard a guess at somewhere near Fenny Stratford?
Canals and Trains, what's not to like :)
I agree with Chris. The contrast of the fast moving train with the tranquillity of the canal works well.
Oh for a nicer day to take the picture. Perhaps one to keep in mind for one of the re-shoots.

I too think a letter box crop would enhance it but I do like it as it is I like speed of the blurred train passing and calm waters I am drawn to the train on the wall too .

Hi Pete and welcome

Good start, nice compo, blurred train too. (y)

I'm going to hazard a guess at somewhere near Fenny Stratford?
Canals and Trains, what's not to like :)
I agree with Chris. The contrast of the fast moving train with the tranquillity of the canal works well.
Oh for a nicer day to take the picture. Perhaps one to keep in mind for one of the re-shoots.

Tim

It's the other end of Milton Keynes, Very close to Wolverton, just oppersite to the Secret Garden if you know the area.

Pete

Gate

Gate Triptych by Peter, on Flickr

Not having any free time this past weekend and dismal weather meant I had to try something closer to home, my back garden gate after work in the dizzle, so did not spend much time taking the photos. Hope you like the presentation. Something different i hope.

Pete

Last edited:
Looking on my phone at work I didn't initially realise this was a triptych, but it's more obvious on a larger screen.
I may have made the borders a different colour to make it more obvious, dunno...
Anyway, the shots themselves are on theme, nicely lit and nicely sharp :)

Crickey ... I didn't realise it was a triptych either till reading the above. Re the sign, that could be easily selected and tweaked.

I've decided the best border colour for a triptych is the white/blue/grey TP page colour ...in other words an invisible border.

We've all been there, you've put it together well and it's a good collection of elements for the theme

A nicely put together triptych Pete, the centre plaque is a tad bright so tough to read, but still like how you have put the three sections together and presented with the boarders (y)

Gate(d) - I have to agree with what dark knight says about the plaque, other than that it fits the theme.

Nice idea Pete and well on theme. Have to agree about the border colour; it's hard o see at first glance.

Crickey ... I didn't realise it was a triptych either till reading the above. Re the sign, that could be easily selected and tweaked.

I've decided the best border colour for a triptych is the white/blue/grey TP page colour ...in other words an invisible border.

Thanks for the all observations.

The Plaque is quite faded and on the other side of the gate to the outer pictures and the front part of the dog has fallen off to it is hard to read standing in front of it.
I went with the black bacground as it was Dark when I took the pictures, which where handheld. I did it to see how it would look with the intention of having another go to post up, but I was pleased with the result.

Pete

That's a different idea and approach to the theme and nicely put together, Pete. I thoroughly agree with the sentiment of the plaque, which is poignant after having to say goodbye to our old girl last week and I miss that greeting every time I come back into the house :(
I also like the nice mixture of colours and textures from the two sides of the gate. Good work (y)

Love the sign:) and good selection of colours and texture.

That's a different idea and approach to the theme and nicely put together, Pete. I thoroughly agree with the sentiment of the plaque, which is poignant after having to say goodbye to our old girl last week and I miss that greeting every time I come back into the house :(
I also like the nice mixture of colours and textures from the two sides of the gate. Good work (y)

Thanks for the comments. These furry animals do get under your skin don't they. :)

Pete

.... think I'll go for #2 for the theme ... more people, FG foliage too.

thinks you forgot to post this on the main thread. I always have 2 tabs open and sort out both, with link, at the same time.

Gate - I too did not realise hit was a triptych at first and a tilt of my screen helped to read the sign I think it works really well.
People - not my thing either well done for giving it a go I like the second one better the reflections in the first are more intrusive.

Hi Pete

Just trying to get round a few more threads

Week 0 - I like that good use of shutter speed to capture the movement of the train.

Week 1 - I like the textures in the gate but as DK says the plaque it s touch light I still like it though.

Week 2 - No2 for me more interest in the image

#2 is in my opinion the better photo for people, although the foreground is too dominant and distracts a bit from the people...

I do like your original, lost of people visible through the glass and the first of the second set is the pick for me although the people are a tad soft I like the simplicity of just two side-lit people

Similarly to Chris, I prefer the second set, but you can tell this is not your thing as the shots are rushed, at least I think that's the reason for the motion blur/shake.
Fair play having a go.

Week 0 - Like the motion blur on the trai, don't think it matters you missed the front. Contrast with calm water and static mural/mosaic is good.
Week 1- Not too keen on the tryptych. Perhaps just a close up of one part of the gate might have been better.
Week 2 - The first of the shots through the window with reflections works best for me. The second one the foliage would be better with the foreground out of focus.

I do like your original, lost of people visible through the glass and the first of the second set is the pick for me although the people are a tad soft I like the simplicity of just two side-lit people

Similarly to Chris, I prefer the second set, but you can tell this is not your thing as the shots are rushed, at least I think that's the reason for the motion blur/shake.
Fair play having a go.

I was having problems keeping the long lens still in the very strong gusts of wind (I was using a monopod) , I took about 20 shots and gave up.

Back