weekly Seaodyssey's 52ers for 2018 Week51 Party

I'm hoping to get my Bizarre shot on Saturday.
Looking at the remaining themes It does not look I can double up with this weeks theme, what ever is picked.

Last edited:
Here is my Bizarre Shot. Take on Saturday as promised (not that you care)
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bz9p2p]Bizarre Number of Lotus cars in one place by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

This was taken at the 70th Anniversary of Lotus cars. I Don't know how many cars are in the picture, but the length is 1.2km of 3 abreast all parked up tightly. When out and about I see more Ferrari's, Lamborghini, Mclarens than I see lotus cars on the road.

Pete.

Berry nice pic for Wild :D

Bizarre; definitely strange to see a traffic jam with nose to tail traffic on a race track! Bizarrely Lotus are not the only car manufacturers celebrating 70th years this year. I think Land Rover and Porsche are too.

Wild; I love the beautiful bright red/orange colour of the wild berries. The only niggling for me is the slight out-of-focus berry just left of the centre is a bit distracting, maybe a stop smaller aperture would help.

Lovely reds in the berries shot nice and sharp and just enough DoF

Bizarre; definitely strange to see a traffic jam with nose to tail traffic on a race track! Bizarrely Lotus are not the only car manufacturers celebrating 70th years this year. I think Land Rover and Porsche are too.

Wild; I love the beautiful bright red/orange colour of the wild berries. The only niggling for me is the slight out-of-focus berry just left of the centre is a bit distracting, maybe a stop smaller aperture would help.

And Honda are also 70 this year.

I see that berry you are talking about and it's strange as the ones above it and further back, appear to be in better focus. Any ideas?

Pete

Couple of nice colourful shots, you have handled the light and saturation well on the berries, I often find solid red quite hard to capture well.

Hi Pete,

Bizarre - Bizarrely there doesn't appear to be any Cortinas in that line-up, and only 2 old Elans.
Wild - This is the killer of the two images, really well taken, good use of complementary colours, well lit. Excellent.

Couple of nice colourful shots, you have handled the light and saturation well on the berries, I often find solid red quite hard to capture well.

Wild

Nice bright red, nice control of the highlights.

Hi Pete,

Bizarre - Bizarrely there doesn't appear to be any Cortinas in that line-up, and only 2 old Elans.
Wild - This is the killer of the two images, really well taken, good use of complementary colours, well lit. Excellent.

Thanks guys for the comments.

Tim

Lotus Cortina's Mk1 & 2 as well as Lotus Sunbeams where in that line up. They also had an example of every Lotus built on display.

Pete

Hi Pete, just catching up with your recent images as my own thread is almost up to date again. That's a great idea for Splash and definitely not breaking any rules. It gives a real sense of movement and ends in a nice splash (y)

Pull is another original idea and made me smile, and you found an interesting and colourful mural for Art. It's strange to see something like that just rising out of the pavement, just like it's strange to see so many cars side by side and nose to tail on a race track for your Bizarre image.

Finally, the colours are wonderful in your image for Autumn! It's a lovely close-up image, full of details and perfect for the theme, and I like the use of DOF to show there are more berries in the background without detracting from the ones at the front.

Thanks for you welcomed comments Andrea.

I have still to post for WK40 Autumn as the Colours round here are only just turning. I'm going up to the Peak District next wednesday or thursday mainly to take photos of the Hope Valley, River Derwent, Canals and Mills, hopefully the trees will still have leaves on after Saturdays predicted high winds and rain.

Pete

Last edited:
They both work well for the themes, Pete, and I look forward to seeing if you add something you prefer. The Autumn image is perfect for the seasonal theme with the yellowing leaves on the branches and on the ground, and you have the strong line of the water and the banks to lead the eye through.

The hollow in the ground left by the remains of the Roman villa is a good idea for that theme and shows the deep hollow left behind. I was out yesterday and today failing to find something for this theme and thought I would have to resort to a tabletop item instead, but you have reminded me of some Norse sites here so I will give that some thought (y)

Nice autumnal theme with some nice bright like highlighting the yellowing leaves
Hollow, fascinating place I have seen photographed many times, the subject of the theme is right in your face where it should be but I feel it’s a bit tight at the top of the frame I can see sky reflected in the water I might well of included a small strip of sky in the finished pic

Hi Pete,

Autumn - Interesting effect in the sky. The left hand side is blue, the right white. Almost as if divided by the tree.

Hollow - I assumed reservoir when I saw the pic, before I read the description. I like this, it's an interesting architectural shot and one I presume isn't seen all that often.

A nice autumn scene with the colour of the leaves just turning into gold, yellow and red. A later time of the day would really enhance the leave colours.

I have seen a few images of this reservoir before but never at such a low level. Would a tighter crop of just the hollow structure without the distracting foreground stone and the background buildings work?

What do you think?

Nice autumnal theme with some nice bright like highlighting the yellowing leaves
Hollow, fascinating place I have seen photographed many times, the subject of the theme is right in your face where it should be but I feel it’s a bit tight at the top of the frame I can see sky reflected in the water I might well of included a small strip of sky in the finished pic

Before I went there on Thursday I had not realised how close to the edge the overflows where, I was at the limits of my lens and I wanted a peer down affect to enhance the hollowness of it. I did take some shots from the left hand side, but that hid the shadows too much.

Hi Pete,

Autumn - Interesting effect in the sky. The left hand side is blue, the right white. Almost as if divided by the tree.

Hollow - I assumed reservoir when I saw the pic, before I read the description. I like this, it's an interesting architectural shot and one I presume isn't seen all that often.

The effect in the sky was the Sun poking through the clouds.It was low down and only just out of shot.

A nice autumn scene with the colour of the leaves just turning into gold, yellow and red. A later time of the day would really enhance the leave colours.

I have seen a few images of this reservoir before but never at such a low level. Would a tighter crop of just the hollow structure without the distracting foreground stone and the background buildings work?

What do you think?

I can see what you mean about that whiter object (it is part of a wall which goes from the pavement to the edge of the overflow.), but I'm not keen on the tight crop of the top,to me it helps locate the overflow as part of the dam and reservoir. A bit more at the top might have been nicer.

Pete

Nice shot of the Ladybower overflows. It's been on my list for yonks!

A tranquil autumn scene with subtle shades of autumn, I might have been inclined to clone a bit more of the tree into the gap middle right to cover up the bench or whatever it is.

It's good to see a shot of those overflows not overflowing.

Autumn

Good yellows and ambers, the sky is a little bright for me, but there's not a great deal you could have done about that.

Hollow

That's nice. Good exposure, a hint of reflection and certainly on theme.

Nice shot of the Ladybower overflows. It's been on my list for yonks!

I had not thought about it for the Theme, but I was in the area when it came to me, just as well I had one of those location photo books with me. It was hard to find a parking place near by, but on the way back I saw the sign for a carpark.

A tranquil autumn scene with subtle shades of autumn, I might have been inclined to clone a bit more of the tree into the gap middle right to cover up the bench or whatever it is.

It's good to see a shot of those overflows not overflowing.

I think you are talking about some Iron Railings, but there are people sitting behind that, I see what you are saying.

I was hoping for a bit more water, what with the rain we had just before, but thereservoir was so empty.

Autumn

Good yellows and ambers, the sky is a little bright for me, but there's not a great deal you could have done about that.

Hollow

That's nice. Good exposure, a hint of reflection and certainly on theme.

Thanks, the exposure was well off as at that time I had not noticed I had exposure bracketing still on from earlier in the day. I do not use that very often. Lucky the exposure latitude of recent sensors is so wide.

Pete

Here are my Model and Corner Images.

I washed my Lotus Elise and waited for it to shrink enough to put on my dinning room table and take a photo of it. I went for low pass as High pass has been done already. It is also Focus Stacked.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2baojz8]Model Lotus by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

This is a corner of some stairs which gives an interest patten which I like.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2b8LBXx]Corner by Peter, on Flickr[/URL]

Pete

Really like your Corner shot Pete, I like this type of almost abstract photography.

The lotus is gorgeous, well lit and good use of focus stacking to get everything into focus.

Roger

Nice bit of focus stacking on your lotus colour looks a little off maybe whatever you litit with has left a little cast.
Interesting idea for corner plenty of corners to be seen

Really like your Corner shot Pete, I like this type of almost abstract photography.

The lotus is gorgeous, well lit and good use of focus stacking to get everything into focus.

Roger

Thank you Roger, The corner shot just came to me, I turned a corner and there it was.
The Lotus was taken using available light, from the kitchen and also the lounge, which is a mixture of led and tungsten, I don't have any photographic lighting apart from a Flashgun which I did not use.

Model is a cool image nicely taken even if a bit floaty with the black BG.
Corner is good image and you even got the blur BG corner.

Dave, what do you mean the model is a bit floaty, is it becoz of the black paper I used to hide the normal household items that would otherwise stray into the photo. Do you think using different colours would have helped?

Nice bit of focus stacking on your lotus colour looks a little off maybe whatever you litit with has left a little cast.
Interesting idea for corner plenty of corners to be seen

Allan, colour is possibly off as I used the jpg version of the images and was pleased with it. I don't use auto WB as I would normally use the raw files.

Thank you all for your comments.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Model - Okay, so Low Pass + stacking for something = equally blurry across the image. I wasn't aware of low pass before. Useful info.
Corner - I really like this. It seems abstract, given the angle you took it from. excellent :clap:

Good shot of the lotus, nicely detailed

I really like corner it works well with the neutral background

Back