Searching for a rare springtail

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Sadly without success, Caprainea marginata is meant to live on Keston common near me, although despite about 5 hours total searching so far I have never found it.
This time I did get some mites and a psuedoscorpion (hopefully it has not just eaten a Caprainea marginata)
All of these are on newspaper, I found them by sieving leaf litter onto it.

Mite EF7A2601 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Mite EF7A2596 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Psuedoscorpion EF7A2637 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Some nice little morsels you found!! I haven't seen any of them, and the Pseudoscorpion looks particularly interesting!! Great pictures!!

Great find with the pseudo!
Thank you, I was about to go home and thought one more go and I found it. Still a shame about the Caprainea marginata. Hopefully I will find it one day and take one of the top 20 photos of it (IIRC there are less than 20 so not difficult)

Maybe in both places. Why does the season stop - are they not around all the time ? Or are you off to photo other stuff. Good luck with your search.
I think I remember reading that there are a lot more springtails in winter than summer and of course yes in late Spring Summer there is so much more to photograph. If you ever have looked at my flickr feed you might have guessed that I just photograph the first arthropods I see. Although I often ignore very common things like ants, which is a mistake as I need to get good at them before I go on holiday to Colombia.

The pseudo scorpion is great.
I have shot sprintails all year myself.

The pseudo scorpion is great.
I have shot sprintails all year myself.
But do you find that there are more in the winter? I suppose it depends a bit on where you live, I live in South East which is a little bit drier and hotter (too hot today)

But do you find that there are more in the winter? I suppose it depends a bit on where you live, I live in South East which is a little bit drier and hotter (too hot today)

I suspect myself they are harder to spot than the other arthropods around and there are more predetaors around in summer so numbers may take a dive.

This was August

Springtail party by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Collembola little and large by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Collembola 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Calvatomina near superba by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I am sorry for a threadjack

Last edited:
Back