B&W Seascape Easington UK

If I'm honest I think you've got your point of focus wrong. The foreground is sharp and in focus, whilst the cliffs in the background are soft. I'd like to see either the cliffs sharp and the foreground out of focus, or everything in focus from foreground to background.

For the type of shot I *think* you're going for here - I think Melaniejane is right - you need to be having something in the foreground in focus...also perhaps have a lower view point - be closer to the waves (or at least give than impression)

Finally because of the light and blown sky - not sure the shot suits b&w.

That said don't be disheartened, there's a few things to try differently but the idea is sound and you're not a kick in the arse away from it - looks like a nice location worth a re-visit :)

Matt

Yup, not far off on that one.

I'm in agreement that the cliffs should be more in focus. At f16 you are right on the upper limit before losing sharpness but you should have also had a lot of depth-of-field to play with, so its most likely just that the point you decided to focus on was too close. Try looking up "hyperfocal distance" which will maximise the amount you have in focus at one time. (Or use your lenses focus scale, if it has one).

The exposure time is just right for those waves, its not going too "mushy" but they have a nice softness to them.
The B&W conversion is nice, but because the sky is overexposed you are losing contrast in the cliffs. If you have a graduated ND filter, that would have helped.
Definitely worth another try.

Cheers,
Asa

Hyperfocal distance:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...rfocal-distance-free-photography-cheat-sheet/

If I'm honest I think you've got your point of focus wrong. The foreground is sharp and in focus, whilst the cliffs in the background are soft. I'd like to see either the cliffs sharp and the foreground out of focus, or everything in focus from foreground to background.
:agree:
some more bite as well...
i would have thought at f16 and 50mm...or is that got to be upped for crop factor?
on my camera that would be 100mm ref full frame size...so a bit non landscaping and needing perhaps more dof
was this in colour to start with?
the sky is not helping either...better cutting it down if you still want to use this image
cheers
geof

Back