B&W Seascapes

I do like numbers 1 and 3, very striking images, I'm not so sure about number 2 the slip way does not look very natural compared to the rest of the image, it almost looks like it has been added after,and there seems to be a thin black line around the whole of the slipway. but as I said 1 and 3 are very nice.

I do like numbers 1 and 3, very striking images, I'm not so sure about number 2 the slip way does not look very natural compared to the rest of the image, it almost looks like it has been added after,and there seems to be a thin black line around the whole of the slipway. but as I said 1 and 3 are very nice.

Thanks. I see what you mean about the line in the second one. I think that must be some haloing producing by Silver Efex. I can see a bit in the other two also on the edges with a lot of contrast.

I like the composition of #1 and you have aligned it perfectly. Have been experimenting with v shapes myself and know it can be hard! I do feel a small figure looking wistfully out to sea on either side of Central would add a bit of impact.

No1 is very good, loads of drama in the sea, and angry looking sky and a good use of shape and symmetry in the sea wall, nice one!

Really like number one, the only thing for me is, with the symmetry of it all I'd have been tempted to remove/reposition some of the foreground peebles but that's probably just me being a bit ocd :)

Really like number one, the only thing for me is, with the symmetry of it all I'd have been tempted to remove/reposition some of the foreground peebles but that's probably just me being a bit ocd :)

I tend to agree with Gary on this - the pebbles although quite a natural item in this location do catch the the eye, that said No1 is a lovely symmetrical shot- I love it

Les ;)

#1 doesn't work for me ... it possibly could if the baseline was up to the wall.
I can see the point mentioned above about the slipway in #2 looking as though it was added after - the line around it does give that impression.
I like #3 even though some of the spray has been lost by a close crop at the top.

I didn't see what was wrong with it as it was TBH. It was just pedantic stuff only people in camera clubs, or with beards would argue about. What the hell does it matter if there are pebbles at a beach or not? LOL They add to the believability of them. Seeing as what makes these interesting in the first place is the fact that we question their reality or not, I'd say leave the pebbles in.

1 & 2 are fabulous shots. No.3 is just a non-shot.. it doesn't belong with the first 2 at all.... The camera club types will probably like it... but that would be reason for me to delete the damned thing actually :)

Don't worry about No.2 ... the slip way looking pasted in. That's what makes these work so well. Don't you see? They make you question the reality of them. You really need to find more examples of this and expand this set of images. They're very strong. Just don't obsess over trivia like pebbles.

Last edited:
^^^^
What David said! (y)

#1 and #2 both very strong and unusual compositions and not needing cropping. Very refreshing in my opinion.

Oi David! I have a beard ;) ...

I prefer the first edit of #1, the pebbles (or even peebles ;)) are perfectly natural and to be expected in a seascape. I too quite like #2, there is a drama there - almost surreal.

Thanks everyone. I will have to visit the family down there more often.

I didn't see what was wrong with it as it was TBH. It was just pedantic stuff only people in camera clubs, or with beards would argue about. What the hell does it matter if there are pebbles at a beach or not? LOL They add to the believability of them. Seeing as what makes these interesting in the first place is the fact that we question their reality or not, I'd say leave the pebbles in.

Ha, I certainly wasn't trying to be pedantic and if the shot wasn't trying to be symmetrical I wouldn't have mentioned them, I just found them messing with the symmetry of the shot.

Back