Season 2020

Have notified the local league I shoot that I'm no longer doing anymore for them until the virus goes

You're joking? The National and local leagues are the only thing that's functioning at the moment.

You're joking? The National and local leagues are the only thing that's functioning at the moment.
That will change too. But I made the decision myself. I don't need the government or place of business or work to tell me what to do in times like this. No chance I'm risk catching this over just shooting a game of football

14 commisioned matches wiped from the calander this month... cant see anything going ahead in april either

i found out in time before a long trip to Portsmouth today.. lost tonights travelodge payment and local paper fee..

Looks grim now.... 99% of my work gone.. No real income for foreseeable future..

IF and its a big IF the games do get played .. will the pro football and all my local FA county games be played on seperate dates...? I have pro football.. county cup games and womens football all commisioned and now gone :(

Been to offy this aft.. gonna drown my sorrows the evening ..

For me, 10 weeks of playoff games wiped out of the calendar over night (in Finland) as all events cancelled at least until the end of May.
And with the talk of the peak hitting in June/July - might be looking at another 10-12 weeks on top of this one.
So when one thinks on possibly losing 22 weeks worth of work in a year... let's just say that it doesn't bring a smile on my face.

Then looking further - all the teams/leagues I work for, have taken a huge financial hit with season ending prematurely.
So it will effect their finances for the 2020-21 season, so this might even have percussions for a longer period.

Yes, this is a selfish way to think on this - as this is about peoples health and lives.
So in that way, me losing work for 10-22 weeks.. it is a minor thing.

I do wonder how many freelance/self-employed photographers can take this hit financially.

Mens Grass roots game on Spec SAT
Womens game PAID on SUN
Schools cup SF this evening

Not looking forward to big announcments this week so getting what i can in ...

Mens Grass roots game on Spec SAT
Womens game PAID on SUN
Schools cup SF this evening

Not looking forward to big announcments this week so getting what i can in ...
It's already been announced. All grass root levels done mate as i predicted.
Its soo predictable. Just look at the state of China..

We ain't even entered full lock down yet and China has been on full lock down since mid Jan...

The seasons done mate

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/mar/16/grassroots-football-suspended-160320

Last edited:
Yup looks like my schools SF was last football for ..well I am thinking 3 mths at least :(

As i am full time...that means I am now officially out of work with zero jobs in my busiest months of yr....oh hum...

Where do I collect my Giro ?

Yup looks like my schools SF was last football for ..well I am thinking 3 mths at least :(

As i am full time...that means I am now officially out of work with zero jobs in my busiest months of yr....oh hum...

Where do I collect my Giro ?
That's f***ed up and I said in another forum, anyone that's full time photographer is going to suffer big time.

This virus is no Damm joke and people need to realize this and change there habits, even before the announcement why are you risking it by doing shoots still?

That's why I made my own decision to pack for the rest of the season before this announcement happened

Looks like steps 3, 4, 5 & 6 are finished for the season... awaiting to see what the final positions decisions will be or if they null and void it.... at this rate the new season most prob won't start on time either!!! and that's if the clubs stay in business!

Being selfish, i'm glad of the break as i managed to get one of my finger amputated after accident!!! could do with the recovery time (c19 helping too)

A month later and not much happened really,, No sports to photo ;(

So.. thinking out loud :)

Now looking like we may get to finish the season behind closed doors but thats not written in stone yet with many clubs aoutside the premiership esp l1 and l2 who would lose a lot of money playing behind closed doors so wont really want to unless in a up/down situation

Good money says no game with crowds this side of christmas anyway :( But we should still get in games surely as no crowds mean more need for photography ?

A big part of my business is grass roots and junior football... not sure what chance that has yet either ..

Oh hum..

Yer some down here. Nothing. (Plenty of photos of the kids doing school work in lockdown)
There is talk of "pro sport getting underway in the next month or two, No crowds,
Possible all teams based in one city.

But we should still get in games surely as no crowds mean more need for photography ?

Yer maybe but with the number of people at gatherings limited, who knows. Problerly limited to just official club/league photographer.

As for lower level stuff. Several national level competitions already cancelled for the year.
Hopefully some school stuff will start before the years is out.

But we should still get in games surely as no crowds mean more need for photography ?

Club photographer from home club and one pool snapper (Getty in England, SNS in Scoltand) seems most likely to me

I am a paid club photographer .. also deal with local paper... i think more likely the agency that has the deal with the football league will be the one in and free pics everywhere from them :(

I am a paid club photographer .. also deal with local paper... i think more likely the agency that has the deal with the football league will be the one in and free pics everywhere from them :(
Yep - I think there's a decent chance that will be the deal if games get played, I'm a club photographer who deals with local paper too (if there is still a local paper after this) - loads are likely to shut - so I hope I'll get to shoot any games that might get played.

I'm not in any way convinced that games behind closed doors will happen, but am 100% convinced that you are correct about there being no crowds in grounds this year.

Local paper is a worry.. minimum staff and gone digital this last week or so... still producing paper but only just.. they are a 6 day a week paper ... not sure they will survive to be honest. :(

Local paper is a worry.. minimum staff and gone digital this last week or so... still producing paper but only just.. they are a 6 day a week paper ... not sure they will survive to be honest. :(
They reckon 60% of locals could go - scary stuff.

Our local down in South Dorset is a Newsquest one and they have Furloughed their 1 Sports reporter who does all the Sport in the paper instead they have a general reporter posting national sport news,
The paper is still printed 6 day's a week but very thin and their online site now asks you to either sign up for the paper to be delivered through your door or do a website subscription to keep the paper going as they are up against it like most newspapers are and loss of sales could mean they will change in future,
As a separate thing they have had only one staff photographer for the past 2 years relying on me to send in Dorchester Town FC pictures (until 1st March another point) and other photographers from local sports clubs (most send in free) to get their sports pictures.
Also i have seen rumours on line that the National League and National Leagues North/South (step 1 & 2) have been told to look as far out as January for any football to take place at that standard hopefully very wrong.

Our local down in South Dorset is a Newsquest one and they have Furloughed their 1 Sports reporter who does all the Sport in the paper instead they have a general reporter posting national sport news,
The paper is still printed 6 day's a week but very thin and their online site now asks you to either sign up for the paper to be delivered through your door or do a website subscription to keep the paper going as they are up against it like most newspapers are and loss of sales could mean they will change in future,

The above is same for mine "up north" so am guessing they are all going same way ... Will they survive? Mine are rolling out old stories and features as they have premiership Burnley, Championship Blackburn and league 1 Accrington ..So hopefully thats enough to get them up and running again.. But the budjet was cut low before.. Will they pay me for Accrington pics when they come back :(

As a separate thing they have had only one staff photographer for the past 2 years relying on me to send in Dorchester Town FC pictures (until 1st March another point)

Had NO full time photographers left here .. Paid me for sports and another freelancer for news.. Agencies for Blackburn and Burnley games

Also i have seen rumours on line that the National League and National Leagues North/South (step 1 & 2) have been told to look as far out as January for any football to take place at that standard hopefully very wrong.

Thats it though.. everyones guessing to be fair.... I should be OK if they go behind closed doors... club pay me and hopefuly the paper will be desperate for the pics.. hopefully :)

But it all depends how long this goes on for and if the paper can recover and if the club arn't in so much debt that they can pay to have photos.. especially as they ahve two other photogrpahers who dont get paid (but dont do every game or supply live content)

Its all wait and see..But to be perfectly honest for the likes of us.. i can't see it going back to how it was.. somethings gonna break :(

Back