Seasonal: Peak District ice

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Was walking over moors in Derbyshire this week - precisely, from Youlgreave to Chatsworth to Baslow, and there was lots of ice.

Just some abstract snaps:

ice1_web.jpg

ice2_web.jpg

I'd like to do a striking mono conversion on the top one, but I can't seem to get it to be as contrasty and striking as I'd like, so I've left it in colour.

What do you reckon? :)

I always take shots of broken ice etc and it never seems to look as good when I get home as it did at the time. I am afraid your don't do a great deal for me either. Not sure what it is with ice, but cameras just dont seem to be able to capture it :(

OK, thanks :) it did look nice at the time. I wonder if there's some special way to make ice interesting through a lens?

I think these photo's would be a lot better if they were in focus over more than half the frame. I'm guessing but they look like they were handheld shots with a fairly wide open apperture? To achieve better depth of field you'll need to close the apperture down to at least F8- and use a tripod for maximum sharpness- which is what ice photos demand.

The photo below was 1/4 second @ F11 using the tripo enabled a nice sharp image.
ICE_003.jpg

Had a quick play with your image1- not sure if this was the effect you were after? Croped out the out of focus part. Split the colour chanel into red/blue/green components. Selected the Blue chanel and applied the Equalize function. Slight amount of Unsharp Mask sharpening.
Blue3.jpg

Thanks - that's sort of what I was thinking of, yes. Looking at the image again, there's so little contrast in that your version has hit the limit of what's possible. Next time, I might use a different angle so that the sun provides more contrast...

yeah, there wasn't much light. I think it was about f/2. I'm going to try and buy a Manfrotto 785B to cart about, so that I'll be able to stop down my images far more.

Like yours a lot. What exactly are the uprights?

Thanks for advice and edit!

Thanks - that's sort of what I was thinking of, yes. Looking at the image again, there's so little contrast in that your version has hit the limit of what's possible. Next time, I might use a different angle so that the sun provides more contrast...

yeah, there wasn't much light. I think it was about f/2. I'm going to try and buy a Manfrotto 785B to cart about, so that I'll be able to stop down my images far more.

Like yours a lot. What exactly are the uprights?

Thanks for advice and edit!

I'm thinking of investing in a new tripod right now- looking into buying one of the carbon fibre legged ones for the sake of a bit of lightness! Been lugging my all-metal tripod this morning- time for a change...

Thanks for the comments on my ice picture it's an old scan from 20 years ago (when winters were colder). The uprights are decayed reed stems in the canal water!

Back