Seba's Remote Pictures

A few recent ones...

27 April 2022; Cavalry Master, top, with Rachael Blackmore up, and The West's Awake, bottom, with Phillip Enright up, jump the last during the first circuit of the OMC Claims Handicap Steeplechase during day two of the Punchestown Festival at Punchestown Racecourse in Kildare.
2216809.jpg

18 May 2022; Joseph Richards of Maynooth Community College, Kildare, right, competing in the Intermediate Boys 1500 metres Steeplechase during day one of the Irish Life Health Leinster Schools Track and Field Championships at Morton Stadium in Santry, Dublin.
2233294.jpg

4 June 2022; Pearse Lillis of Clare beats Meath goalkeeper Harry Hogan to the ball to score his side's first goal during the GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Round 1 match between Clare and Meath at Cusack Park in Ennis, Clare.
2249756.jpg

A couple from Wednesday's Republic of Ireland and Ukraine match.

First is of the only goal of the game; an in-swinging freekick that fooled everyone! This was triggered from the far end of the field. Was surprised this worked as the remotes had been a bit of a pain in recent times.

8 June 2022; Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher fails to keep out a shot from Viktor Tsygankov of Ukraine, not pictured, during the UEFA Nations League B group 1 match between Republic of Ireland and Ukraine at Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
2253127.jpg

This next one I'm quite pleased with, as it was shot on a 50mm lens, so wasn't anywhere near as wide as the other and meant it had a very narrow angle of view. It's pretty much full frame, with very little cropping.

8 June 2022; Shane Duffy of Republic of Ireland has a header on goal saved by Ukraine goalkeeper Andriy Lunin during the UEFA Nations League B group 1 match between Republic of Ireland and Ukraine at Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
2253116.jpg

One from today. I wouldn't usually put a remote outside the posts as it's risky and could easily be hit. Some of the other lads at work do it all the time. But as Tolka Park it's such a small tight ground the board around the outside leave no room for a remote. Glad this one paid off, as I was on the blind side of this and had nothing else on it.

18 September 2022; Sean Boyd of Shelbourne scores his side's second goal, past Bohemians goalkeeper Jon McCracken, during the Extra.ie FAI Cup Quarter-Final match between Shelbourne and Bohemians at Tolka Park in Dublin.
2335900.jpg

This is a great and interesting thread with great pictures. Well done Seba :D

Thanks Alan.

It can be a very up and down profession at times, where you really struggle for ideas, struggle to be creative, or hit a patch where just nothing goes your way. But then one picture can change that. That last one certainly helped me out of a bit of a rut.

One thing I always try to remind myself is that the remotes are a bonus. Set the camera up and walk away. If you get something, great, if you don't, who cares. Formatting the card without looking at it is actually quite satisfying.

Just went back and re-read some of the other comments and saw the one about someone's camera being hit, and it reminded me that I took a picture of my remote at a game a while ago as I wanted to show someone what I was doing with the trigger. Basically I try to not have it on the hot-shoe where possible because if they get hit the plastic feet break instantly, and are a pain/expensive to replace.

Best way to replace I've found is ordering 5+ from B&H in the US and hoping they don't sting me for tax when imported. The worst is Fixation who wouldn't even sell it to me and insisted I send the trigger over for it to be repaired, which I refused. Sending an item to the UK to have them unscrew two screws?! No thanks lads.

So here there was a place to loop the trigger lanyard round, but often I just loop it around where the strap meets the camera. This still keeps it off the ground which can interfere with the signal sometimes.

IMG_4941.jpg

One of my remote shots form Leopardstown Festival made it into the Getty Images 2022 Year in Review. Not sure how, as it's a bang average one, and hasn't even made my own shortlist of best images from the year. But still great to have one in there, alongside some pretty incredible pictures.

2137737.jpg

Thanks Alan.

It can be a very up and down profession at times, where you really struggle for ideas, struggle to be creative, or hit a patch where just nothing goes your way. But then one picture can change that. That last one certainly helped me out of a bit of a rut.

One thing I always try to remind myself is that the remotes are a bonus. Set the camera up and walk away. If you get something, great, if you don't, who cares. Formatting the card without looking at it is actually quite satisfying.
I had a foot battered off at the start of last season so asked Pocket Wizard on Instagram if you could get replacement feet in the UK - they said yes your can https://colorconfidence.com/collections/pocketwizard/products/plusx-plus-iii-hot-shoe

After months of not bothering with the remote I've had four pics used big by papers in the least couple of weeks so a decent return.

This is Ryan Sweeney scoring from close in for Dundee against Partick Thistle last week

Screenshot 2022-11-15 at 22.13.31.jpg

I had a foot battered off at the start of last season so asked Pocket Wizard on Instagram if you could get replacement feet in the UK - they said yes your can https://colorconfidence.com/collections/pocketwizard/products/plusx-plus-iii-hot-shoe
Think these are the new distributor for the UK, not used them yet. It was someone else years ago, and then they went out of business or something, and had to go to the US. I'll check these lads out.

These days have to get stuff sent to a colleague house just outside Belfast to avoid the mad postage and potential customs costs to Dublin.

Not been in here in a while. Will try to do a good update from the last 8 months when I get the chance. Not many new remote positions really though.

Got a decent sequence from two remotes last night at the Greece v Republic of Ireland game in Athens, of the second Greece goal which kind of summed up the evening's performace by Ireland.

2538824.jpg

2538812.jpg

wanted to show someone what I was doing with the trigger. Basically I try to not have it on the hot-shoe where possible because if they get hit the plastic feet break instantly, and are a pain/expensive to replace.

Well well well.. I presumed they had to be on the hot shoe for communication to camera... never gave a thought that it was only for placement.... oh dear... because the one on my 70-200 has to be on hot shoe to work...

for one reason and another I am going to start using remote next season so... :) I ahve used sparingly in the past.. but now :)

Well well well.. I presumed they had to be on the hot shoe for communication to camera... never gave a thought that it was only for placement.... oh dear... because the one on my 70-200 has to be on hot shoe to work...

for one reason and another I am going to start using remote next season so... :) I ahve used sparingly in the past.. but now :)

You'll find that the connection and frame rate is far or consistent if you cable up both the Tx and Rx units.

Even moreso if you are using non-matching bodies!

Was back at Tolka Park last night, which meant no remotes behind the goal, so had to set one off to the side. I put this one on the far side of the goal from me, hoping it would cover me if anything happened that side. And thank god I did....!

After looking at what focal length I tend to set these remotes at, both to the side of the goal and behind, I found that 28mm was most common. So instead of lugging around two 24-70mm lenses, which was a pain when travelling, I decided to get two second hand 28mm f1.8 lenses from MPB. Lovely little small things, and each roughly a 1/3 the weight of a 24-70mm.... Now to expenses them on the company!

1 September 2023; Joe Redmond of St Patrick's Athletic celebrates after scoring his side's first goal during the SSE Airtricity Men's Premier Division match between Shelbourne and St Patrick's Athletic at Tolka Park in Dublin.

2613664.jpg

2613649.jpg

(This remote was pretty much useless by FT and Pats lost 2-1!)

An update.

After the remotes becoming really very reliable at most sports in terms of firing, they have now taken a massive turn.

I was out in Paris earlier this month for the France ROI match and afterwards, when I went to go and pick up my remote cameras from the far end of the pitch, I had a trigger pinched from next to my bag. I never lose things, I'm very good at looking after my gear, so to lose an item through no fault of my own really got to me.

I returned and managed to find somewhere in Ireland selling a pocket wizard Plus III that a colleague was able to able to pick up as he was going by the store. I now had 4 triggers again in time for the next ROI game two days later.

I had to do the E-Release firmware upgrade on the new item ($10) despite the box saying it had it, and also update the firmware in the others (already on E-Release) so they were all on the same firmware version.

Since this moment though, I don't think I've had them fire without pressing the 'test' buttom with a trigger in my hand. I am baffled. I've tried different triggers on different cameras, tried LR on some and RxLR on others, (RxLR, group D was my settings that always worked) different groups, everything. They are all very close to being through in the Liffey. It's like the hot shoes on the cameras are turned out when these triggers are on them. (You can actually disable the hotshoe on the triggers, but I've checked and this isn't on)

Having just one trigger stolen (and it was my favourite/main one!) has ruined.... everything.

Have you tried cabling the Tx rather than using the hotshoe transmission to trigger it?

I've found that to be 100% more reliable and it's recommended by PW themselves.

Was back at Tolka Park last night, which meant no remotes behind the goal, so had to set one off to the side. I put this one on the far side of the goal from me, hoping it would cover me if anything happened that side. And thank god I did....!

After looking at what focal length I tend to set these remotes at, both to the side of the goal and behind, I found that 28mm was most common. So instead of lugging around two 24-70mm lenses, which was a pain when travelling, I decided to get two second hand 28mm f1.8 lenses from MPB. Lovely little small things, and each roughly a 1/3 the weight of a 24-70mm.... Now to expenses them on the company!

1 September 2023; Joe Redmond of St Patrick's Athletic celebrates after scoring his side's first goal during the SSE Airtricity Men's Premier Division match between Shelbourne and St Patrick's Athletic at Tolka Park in Dublin.

View attachment 400109

(This remote was pretty much useless by FT and Pats lost 2-1!)

A bit scary surely? Some safety behind the net at least but along the side?

Have you tried cabling the Tx rather than using the hotshoe transmission to trigger it?

I've found that to be 100% more reliable and it's recommended by PW themselves.

Tried this in a test last night and it didn't work. Can't remember if I was on RxLR or Tx settings. I'll test again later maybe.

I'm thinking about getting new cables to see if that makes a difference too. But I'm pretty sure it's hotshoe issues.

A bit scary surely? Some safety behind the net at least but along the side?

Yeah, is a little worry. But in all the games I've done it it's been fine. The last game when a remote got hit it was actually behind the goal.

Yeah, is a little worry. But in all the games I've done it it's been fine. The last game when a remote got hit it was actually behind the goal.
The last two games I have done the remotes have had similar issues to you. Worked fine for a long time but now only fire occasionally

So we seem to be back up and running now. I bought two new cables and this seems to have helped. Still not 100%, but I've also changed my auto focus settings which will hopefully help too with how the main cameras fire, which will affect how the others fire too. Triggers set to LR on the main bodies, and RxLR on the remotes.

The second image here is the same set up I did two years ago when the ROI played in Faro against Portugal, and Gavin Bazunu saved a penalty from Ronaldo. Think it's on this thread near the beginning. Got lucky again with a couple of goals down that end in the first half.

13 October 2023; Shane Duffy of Republic of Ireland reacts after his side concede a second goal during the UEFA EURO 2024 Championship qualifying group B match between Republic of Ireland and Greece at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

2647073.jpg

16 October 2023; Mikey Johnston of Republic of Ireland scores his side's second goal despite the attention of John Sergeant of Gibraltar during the UEFA EURO 2024 Championship qualifying group B match between Gibraltar and Republic of Ireland at Estádio Algarve in Faro, Portugal.

2649931.jpg

21 October 2023; Ethan Coughlan of Munster dives over to score his side's fifth try during the United Rugby Championship match between Munster and Hollywoodbets Sharks at Thomond Park in Limerick.

2653152.jpg

A sequence from the Connacht v Bordeaux rugby match last Friday night. Remote took a hit...

2695958.jpg

2695957.jpg

2695959.jpg

Can see the remote in the bottom right here...

RemoteHit1.jpg

And here comes John Porch's bum....
RemoteHit2.jpgRemoteHit3.jpg

Some recent 'remotepix' (our keyword to find them on the site)

19 January 2024; Andrew Smith of Connacht scores a try, which was subsequently disallowed, during the Investec Champions Cup Pool 1 Round 4 match between Connacht and Bristol Bears at the Dexcom Stadium in Galway.
2711392.jpg

2711394.jpg

2711389.jpg

This one was rewarding. The boss was in the stands on the halfway line, and said the remote was pointless, but I said it's taking no photos sat in my van, I might as well through it up. It ended capturing two Monaghan goals in their win over Dublin. Plus I'm off camera top left, so the fact the kicker was left footed killed the shot from the other side, but worked great for the remote.

27 January 2024; Jack McCarron of Monaghan scores his side's first goal from a penalty, past Dublin goalkeeper David O'Hanlon, during the Allianz Football League Division 1 match between Dublin and Monaghan at Croke Park in Dublin.

2716627.jpg

This one made our Images of The Year selection for 2023, and was the shortlisted for the PPAI Awards too earlier this month.

3 December 2023; Runners and riders clear the last during the first circuit of the Bar One Racing Porterstown Handicap Steeplechase on day two of the Fairyhouse Winter Festival at Fairyhouse Racecourse in Ratoath, Meath.

2698843.jpg

Thanks, Simon.

Not much in the way or new angles or positions, just different types of action in front of the camera.

This one was rewarding. The boss was in the stands on the halfway line, and said the remote was pointless, but I said it's taking no photos sat in my van, I might as well through it up. It ended capturing two Monaghan goals in their win over Dublin. Plus I'm off camera top left, so the fact the kicker was left footed killed the shot from the other side, but worked great for the remote.

27 January 2024; Jack McCarron of Monaghan scores his side's first goal from a penalty, past Dublin goalkeeper David O'Hanlon, during the Allianz Football League Division 1 match between Dublin and Monaghan at Croke Park in Dublin.

View attachment 415209

This one made our Images of The Year selection for 2023, and was the shortlisted for the PPAI Awards too earlier this month.

3 December 2023; Runners and riders clear the last during the first circuit of the Bar One Racing Porterstown Handicap Steeplechase on day two of the Fairyhouse Winter Festival at Fairyhouse Racecourse in Ratoath, Meath.

View attachment 415210
Very effective shot. (y)

Love the horse racing one Seba - the flying mud makes it for me
So that's actually leaves from the branches in the chase jumps. I noticed how much was left on the floor after the first race and hoped it would be the same for the second race and all that mess might make for a decent shot from below the horses.

anyone tried the Nikon Autocapture function for these sort of shot that the z9 and z8 has?

Back