Seba's Remote Pictures

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
Since the restart of sport here I've tried to be a bit more experimental with my remote camera set-ups, trying to explore new angles but also trying to use them less as a gamble and more as an addition.

So I thought I would put together a little thread of remote camera images that have come off over the last couple of months. Some may look quite similar as they are from the same stadium or racecourse.

1 August 2020; John Martin of Waterford scores his side's first goal during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Shelbourne and Waterford at Tolka Park in Dublin.
For this image, I have the camera mounted on a clamp that's on a barrier that surrounds the pitch. There was no real space behind the goal for a remote on the floor, so I thought I would try this angle, and it came off. The slightly higher angle can make for a messier picture, with heads being slightly lost in the stands and horizon, but I think you get away with it if the action happens this close in.
1911634.jpg

7 August 2020; Luke McNally of St Patrick's Athletic sees his header on goal saved by Finn Harps goalkeeper Mark McGinley during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between St Patrick's Athletic and Finn Harps at Richmond Park in Dublin.
For this angle, I have the camera and a 70-200 lens on a clamp that's on the banister of a portacabin that over looks the pitch. The angle gives a great view, but frustrates me as you can't get it perfectly in line with the goal line, which really helps to clean up the image.
1913997.jpg

16 August 2020; Patrick McBrearty of Kilcar scores his side's second goal during the Donegal County Senior Football Championship Round 1 match between Kilcar and Glenswilly at Towney Park in Kilcar, Donegal.
One of the most scenic pitches I've ever been to! This was my second visit in a month to the Donegal pitch, but the time I was able to shoot the whole match, whereas last time I had to rush off to another match around the corner. As I had more time, I decided to put a remote, again on a clamp, on the perimeter fence, facing back towards the lovely Donegal landscape. I was actually up the other end the entire match as it provided the better backgrounds - to the left of this shot is sea, sky and green, and to the right is the car park and messy fences etc. I was surprised that this remote fired every time from a distance of roughly 140m.
1917516.jpg

22 August 2020; Ed McGinty of Sligo Rovers saves a penalty from Patrick Hoban of Dundalk during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Sligo Rovers and Dundalk at The Showgrounds in Sligo.
Again, like the Tolka Park remote, this one is on a clamp on a fence that surrounds the pitch, due to there being very little space behind the goal. It's slightly over exposed, and this is something I've been working on, trying to find the balance for days when the bright sun dips behind thick clouds. In hindsight, I probably should have not dialled in a little compensation and just taken a dark photo and brightened it.
1919742.jpg

29 August 2020; Oisin Knox of Mullinavat celebrates after scoring his side's fifth goal of the game during the Kilkenny County Senior Hurling Championship Round 1 match between Danesfort and Mullinavat at UPMC Nowlan Park in Kilkenny.
This remote, similar to the Richmond Park one, is a camera, on a clamp, with a 70-200 lens (all mounted via the lens foot, not the camera!) Hurling is tricky as they can score the scores from quite far out, but the looser you make your remote the poorer it can look. I ended up on the far side of the field at this moment, so was pleased the remote caught the little celebration as I was on the blind side of it.
1922915.jpg

6 September 2020; Darren Randolph of Republic of Ireland makes a save following a shot from Finland's Teemu Pukki during the UEFA Nations League B match between Republic of Ireland and Finland at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
With this remote you'll see the camera is level with the goal line and it just makes it so much neater - apart from the fact the goal posts don't seem to be fully upright! what I like about this image is the complete remoteness of the action, no Irish defenders in sight!
1926652.jpg

12 September 2020; Safe Voyage, far, with Colin Keane up, passes the post ahead of second place Sinawann, left, with Ronan Whelan up, to win the Clipper Logistics Boomerang Mile during day one of The Longines Irish Champions Weekend at Leopardstown Racecourse in Dublin.
This is an angle I've been using the last couple of months as a kind of backup. I have another remote on the floor for the low down shot but have added this angle for the close finishes. This angle needs height, as that helps to close down the required depth of field. I have tried similar at of racecourses, such as the Curragh, but the stand isn't quite high enough, too shallow and so the heads of the photographers on the line come into the shot.
1928625.jpg

13 September 2020; Jockey Tom Evans celebrates as he passes the post after riding Glass Slippers to victory in the Derrinstown Stud Flying Five Stakes during day two of The Longines Irish Champions Weekend at The Curragh Racecourse in Kildare.
(I realise the caption for this is probably wrong, as I think there is incorrect grammar with talking about the past that hasn't actually happened yet - confusing I know!)
For this, was are back on the floor, without a clamp! I have started putting the remote about 5-10 metres further away from the finish line for some races as if a horse wins it by some distance the celebration doesn't happen on the line, it happens before, like this. I have also been playing with the focus points with these, or where I have been setting up the focus to start from, as I was getting soft hooves with the horse as my focus point was too far back once the camera was placed on the floor, after setting it up whilst stood up.
1929320.jpg

26 September 2020; Sligo Rovers goalkeeper Ed McGinty watches as a shot from Waterford's Matthew Smith hits the back of the net during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Waterford and Sligo Rovers at the RSC in Waterford.
This one couldn't have worked out better, and luckier! I put two remotes on the floor behind the goal, one slightly higher than the other, actually sat down the other end myself. The play moved away from me, and towards the goal with the remotes, I looked up and saw the ball flying over the keeper and just reacted quickly enough to press the shutter on my 400mm triggering the cameras down the other end. I had nothing of note from my end, but this remote caught the keep looking back perfectly. I think it's the fact you can see his face that really makes this one.
Again, like the penalty one above, got my exposure compensation slightly wrong as I think it's a little over on the skin tones. Same mistake twice now, should will hopefully learn from it!!
1933467.jpg

That last one (9) is absolutely epic.

Was just about to comment along the same lines... I all but gave up using the remote as hardly anythign good.. But have to say this post has inspired me.... gonna setup next match i think.. the different angles are good... Cheers @Seba

Was just about to comment along the same lines... I all but gave up using the remote as hardly anythign good.. But have to say this post has inspired me.... gonna setup next match i think.. the different angles are good... Cheers @Seba

Ahh if that's what threads like this can do then that's great! I'll admit there are many times I don't even look at the remote camera after a match as I know there's nothing on it of note, and just format it, but I'm definitely trying to be more constructive how I apply it. Let us know how you get on, K.

I need a good clamp..I ahve tripods of different sizes but a clamp strong enough for 1dx and maybe 70-200.. reccomendations please?

G clamp, a welder and some 3/8 UNC studding. Weld the studding onto the clamp and use whatever head you like on it.

Oh, and a great set of shots, Seba.

OK having not used a clamp before and wanting to be prepared (it arrives tomorrow) .I can invisage how the clamp works and how the camera attaches ...But it seems it will be ridged in ....direction? Are you using somehtign attached so you can point in right place so to speak....sorry... hopefully you get what i mean :) Looks like it needs a swivel head or summat ?

ADDY ON BIT A coupleof your tube videoes later I have removed the ball head off my vanguard tripod and will attach that to the bracket.. should work :)

Last edited:
Yep. The clamp is used as the base and the you attach a monopod/tripod head to allow adjustment of camera angle - if needed. If you
don't need, then don't use, as it is just one more point of failure.

Enjoyed looking at these and interesting to read the set ups.
#9, wow, what a great image.

29 September 2020; Silver Star, with Denis O'Regan up, jumps the second during the Close Brothers Beginners Steeplechase at Punchestown Racecourse in Kildare.
Shot this recently at Punchestown racecourse. Only tend to do this remote position on the steeplechase fences as I find the horses tend to jump better compared to the hurdles. That said, it's still been very hard to get as nice a shape as this. Think this was the second chase race of the day, so I looked at where they were taking off from from the previous race and focussed for around there. Had the sun on my side too for this, something you don't tend to have at Punchestown for the remotes on the other side of the jump. This one managed to sneak into the Getty European images of the week yesterday, which for a donkey race at a nothing meeting shows you never know what you'll get some days. Always worth being out shooting if there's nothing else to do!
1934996.jpg

I think that I vaguely remember that sport. It's called Steeplefollow, or something, isn't it?

So i took my remote out and when i use the 1dxMKII to fire it.. my 1dxII thinks I ahve a flash on and takes the shutter down :( doesnt do that wiht 1dx1 ... anyone else ?

Cameras used to do that with the PW Flex system because they recognised the TTL pins.

One solution (with a PW) is to connect the TX unit to the camera by cable and then to only half insert it into the hotshoe.

From memory you are using the 602/603 system? I can't remember if the cable will work on the TX unit (or even if there's a socket for it) but it might be worth trying.

The alternative is to shoot in Manual.

Cameras used to do that with the PW Flex system because they recognised the TTL pins.

One solution (with a PW) is to connect the TX unit to the camera by cable and then to only half insert it into the hotshoe.

From memory you are using the 602/603 system? I can't remember if the cable will work on the TX unit (or even if there's a socket for it) but it might be worth trying.

The alternative is to shoot in Manual.

I was in M and Auto ISO

It worked when i tested then suddenly all my settings went to FLASH mode arrgh :( . will experiment with half out in the mornign ta :)

Put a remote up high behind one of the goals for the Republic of Ireland v Wales match yesterday at the Aviva Stadium. No goals but there were some nice shadows off the players to be had. Would have liked a cleaner cut across the top with not half shadows but not much I could do. Would have been nice to have been up there myself too to get a tighter shot of just the players and the shadows. Have also included a picture of the remote camera in situ.

11 October 2020; Shane Duffy of Republic of Ireland in action against Joe Rodon and Kieffer Moore of Wales during the UEFA Nations League B match between Republic of Ireland and Wales at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
1940056.jpg

20201011SD0008.jpg

Would have liked a cleaner cut across the top with not half shadows but not much I could do.

For personal use, a minute or 2 of cloning would dispose of the orphaned shadow at top left but as an accurate record of what was going on, that's probably a no-no!

used my new clamp for first time today but not camera.. not used it with camera yet :( clamp.jpg

Put a remote up high behind one of the goals for the Republic of Ireland v Wales match yesterday at the Aviva Stadium. No goals but there were some nice shadows off the players to be had. Would have liked a cleaner cut across the top with not half shadows but not much I could do. Would have been nice to have been up there myself too to get a tighter shot of just the players and the shadows. Have also included a picture of the remote camera in situ.

11 October 2020; Shane Duffy of Republic of Ireland in action against Joe Rodon and Kieffer Moore of Wales during the UEFA Nations League B match between Republic of Ireland and Wales at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
View attachment 295237

View attachment 295238
Loving all of these - I've not had anything decent from a remote this season yet. Got an angle I want to try this weekend using my new super clamp and magic arm using 70-200 - so was interested in your setup pic as I couldn't work out where I was going to put my safety cable.

used my new clamp for first time today but not camera.. not used it with camera yet :( View attachment 295847

So new and shiny!!

You using the GoPro for video, or photos? If photos, how are you triggering it?

I have one, and have been wanting to either use it as a remote camera, or to put together a little POW video of an event.

So new and shiny!!

You using the GoPro for video, or photos? If photos, how are you triggering it?

I have one, and have been wanting to either use it as a remote camera, or to put together a little POW video of an event.

club videos ... I had originally setup as two gopros together but got complacent and only used one... had a terrible time this sunday.,. team won one nil with a penalty and the card corrupted... finally manged to save the footage with help from @newbie1 and some software "handbrake" but lesson learnt.. I have a dual mount and two gopros so going to run together from now on ..

gopro.jpg

Loving all of these - I've not had anything decent from a remote this season yet. Got an angle I want to try this weekend using my new super clamp and magic arm using 70-200 - so was interested in your setup pic as I couldn't work out where I was going to put my safety cable.

I can go loads of matches/events with the remote capturing nothing, I almost find formatting the card without even looking through it satisfying.

Hope the new angle works out! By all means stick any results in here (y)

I can go loads of matches/events with the remote capturing nothing, I almost find formatting the card without even looking through it satisfying.

Hope the new angle works out! By all means stick any results in here (y)
Actually did get one of Charlie Adam's goal on Friday night - taken with fuji x-t2 and 12mm Samyang lens

DSCF1892.jpg

Ahhh class! Great capture. The empty stadium adds to it, shows where we are at the moment.

Maybe give it a tidy up by losing the blue banner along the bottom, a clean crop along the edge of the grass would make a big difference.

Tynecastle looks awesome in that photo, tight compact ground, bet that place is rocking when it's full! Reminds me of Copenhagen's ground a bit.

Ahhh class! Great capture. The empty stadium adds to it, shows where we are at the moment.

Maybe give it a tidy up by losing the blue banner along the bottom, a clean crop along the edge of the grass would make a big difference.

Tynecastle looks awesome in that photo, tight compact ground, bet that place is rocking when it's full! Reminds me of Copenhagen's ground a bit.
Ta but it's not great - reason I said I had nothing at first is that on the full size file it's only sharp up to about the goalkeeper, though I can probably get away with that when it's this wide. I'd set focus up last week and based it on the camera being a couple of yards behind the goal. The Fuji has focus peaking and it seemed to indicate that everything in the background was in focus - in actual fact it was probably only 20 yards, which would have been fine if the camera was just a few yards behind the goal. Went out in the street and adjusted focus this morning so we should be good whether right behind goal or further back like this going forward. Going to have two remotes out on Saturday - one with this camera and lens, and one with 70-200 on Canon 5dmkiii - that will probably ensure it's a 0-0 draw.

Tynecastle is excellent with a crowd in, stands are steep so it feels like the fans are right on top of the action and there's nearly always a good atmosphere. The downside is Edinburgh is busy so it's normally a nightmare getting parked. Friday was totally different, I drove down Gorgie Road which is normally jammed at 4pm and there were two buses and one other car in sight, and I got parked in the street less than 100 yards from the press entrance. It was also the first time I've been in a ground with 'fake crowd noise' playing which was a bit different though you get used to it quickly.

A few from last night's Dundalk v Molde UEL match. I had two remotes, one behind the goal and one up top along the goal line. The one up top was incredibly hard to set up as you can't stand behind it to see what direction it's pointing. Usually I would stand in front of the camera and with it on Live View on the screen use my phone camera and screen on selfie view to position and set up the remote camera, having pre-focussed the it before attaching it to the clamp. This was made even more difficult by the fact UEFA had place a banner, that was very tightly stretched right behind the remote camera's position, meaning I could barely see the back of the remote camera on my phone camera screen. I really would have take a picture of this to show it. I will next time maybe.

The remote on the floor was a bit of luck, I actually thought the first goal was struck into the other corner, as I was only focussed on the scorer during the incident. I tend to put the floor remote on the far side of the goal from my position, in the hope that between me and it we can cover the whole goal, if that makes sense.

22 October 2020; Sean Murray of Dundalk, centre, turns to celebrate after heading to score his side's first goal, past Molde FK goalkeeper Andreas Linde, during the UEFA Europa League Group B match between Dundalk and Molde FK at Tallaght Stadium in Dublin.
1944451.jpg

22 October 2020; Etzaz Hussain of Molde FK, left, turns to celebrate after scoring his side's first goal, past Dundalk goalkeeper Gary Rogers, during the UEFA Europa League Group B match between Dundalk and Molde FK at Tallaght Stadium in Dublin.
1944511.jpg

22 October 2020; Gary Rogers of Dundalk reacts after conceding a goal, scored by Etzaz Hussain of Molde FK, during the UEFA Europa League Group B match between Dundalk and Molde FK at Tallaght Stadium in Dublin.
1944508.jpg

Last edited:
Cracking shot and with one of my favourite lenses!

Cracking shot and with one of my favourite lenses!

135mm f2 canon ?
Its my saviour lens... pin sharp at f2 all over the football pitch ... a lot of the grounds I go to such as school 3g needs this lens :)

Back