Seba's Remote Pictures

Put two remotes down for yesterday's match at the Aviva between Ireland and Italy. One at ground level aimed at the corner from a try, which produced nothing, and then another at the back of the first tier aimed at the posts incase someone dived in under them at any point. Managed to get lucky in the last seconds as Italy ran in a second try.

24 October 2020; Paolo Garbisi of Italy dives over to score his side's second try during the Guinness Six Nations Rugby Championship match between Ireland and Italy at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
1945562.jpg

And a terrible phone picture of the remote in place...
IMG_1421.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty grim day yesterday in Tullamore, so stuck a remote at the back of the stand down the end I knew I wouldn't go down as the backgrounds were too busy and the wind was blowing the rain in that direct so would have made life hard.

Managed to get this sequence for one of Offaly's goal, fired from the far end of the pitch (which google tells me was 145m + distance from the touchline to the back of the stand) and now even in sight of the remote. I was pretty surprised. I have found there is a bit of a delay at that distance so have taken to firing away when I feel they get close to the goal to cover me.

Rather like the fact in the last one the ball has just hit the net, causing a nice soft splash of water from it.

16-18
1 November 2020; Jordan Hayes of Offaly shoots to score his side's second goal, despite pressure from Carlow goalkeeper Robbie Molloy and defender Mikey Bambrick, during the Leinster GAA Football Senior Championship Round 1 match between Offaly and Carlow at Bord na Mona O'Connor Park in Tullamore, Offaly.
1948996.jpg

1948994.jpg

1948995.jpg

Couple of remote pictures from racing at Navan today. Fair few fallers, including three for Mark Walsh the poor lad.

I attended a meeting at Navan last December so knew what images were there this time of year if the light is right (last years thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/horse-racing-from-navan.704787/)

Remotes weren't in any unusual positions today, but did double up with the two pretty much next to each other for the last race to try and get two angles with the sunset, one tight on the jump and one looser incase anyone fell, which kind of worked out, thanks Mr Walsh!

8 November 2020; Ronald Pump, with Keith Donoghue up, falls at the last during the Lismullen Hurdle at Navan Racecourse in Meath.
1951974.jpg

8 November 2020; Jockey Mark Walsh, centre, is unseated from Walk Me Home, after jumping the last, alongside eventual winner King Alex, left, with Mark Bolger up, during the Navanracecourse.ie Handicap Hurdle at Navan Racecourse in Meath.
1952209.jpg

Had two remotes out last night and the wide one behind the goal got Ok frames of two of the three goals and a penalty miss (hit the post) but for the the third goal the scorer had gone wide of the area covered by that camera - luckily I'd had a second attempt (goals were at wrong end for it last week) at getting something with my goal line cam and got this pic of that goal on it. Used Manfrotto magic arm and superclamp to attach it looking right down goal line and think the angle works well.

Dundee v Cove Rangers by David Young, on Flickr

Lovely capture!

Do you have the chance to maybe go higher with it? So that theta of the goal can have grass behind?

Interesting that we have a 'Cove' team here in the second tier but they are Cobh, formally Queenstown, the last stop for the Titanic.

Do you have the chance to maybe go higher with it? So that theta of the goal can have grass behind?
Mmmm - not really here - but potentially at Hibs this Sunday - food for thought. I do like a straight down the goal line perspective

already :( lost the little V attachment on the clamp.. the one for attaching to flat and you remove for attaching to pole type.... googled and googled cant find replacement... any ideas anyone ? calumet mf-6820

Not familiar with the clamp but maybe a bit of hardwood and some glued on rubber strip would fill the gap (so to speak). Get a metre of the timber and cut bits off as and when you lose the bit!

I'm not sure I've ever had the v attachment, and have had no trouble clamping to poles or square.... poles

Not familiar with the clamp but maybe a bit of hardwood and some glued on rubber strip would fill the gap (so to speak). Get a metre of the timber and cut bits off as and when you lose the bit!

This sounds a good solution too, I lack the skills to achieve this, so shall also recommend gaffer tape.

Other end goal (penalty kick) and celebration from non league Bonnyrigg Rose as they came within 90 seconds of pulling off a major cup shock on Saturday night.
Dundee v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic by David Young, on Flickr

I got a fourth pocket wizard (second hand at bargain cost of £30 from MPB) to be able to fire that remote from far end last week - this was first attempt with it.

And the winning goal for Dundee (this time near end for me) Celebration came towards this way too but wasn’t anything great on the remote.

Ian from Getty's remote going flying there, Willie was telling me about it at the game I was at on Saturday night - another photographer had his camera hit and lens sheared off at Hibs last week too.

Been doing remotes for a few months now, really enjoying setting up and getting some different angles behind the goals and in the stands.

Mine got walloped at Sheff united and I didn’t notice until full time when I checked all the photos were of the floor

Not sure why this chap above hasn’t got a lens hood on

So in the morning I am going bog standard behind the goals remote.. its not much more than a playing field no stands nothing to attach anything to.. . its a league u18s match..... As I have decided I dont really want to put too much more money into photogrpahy I am not wasting a 1dx on hundreds of unwanted pics... So i will be using .... A canon 10d and 17-40 f4 lens ... if the lighting is good at 11am and no nasty orrible.... I have used it before and been published.. total setup about £400 :)

lt_10d.jpg

That's exactly how I started doing footie remotes 10 years ago. Canon 30D, 17-40 on a mini tripod in the park for Sunday morning football.

So in the morning I am going bog standard behind the goals remote.. its not much more than a playing field no stands nothing to attach anything to.. . its a league u18s match.....
I thought youth football was suspended at the moment?

I thought youth football was suspended at the moment?

Not at elite level ... Shooting u18s most sat mornings.. well supposed to be but last 3 got P-P ..2 for weather and 1 covid...

click the TABS for all parts of country

The one I did sat morning.. selling like hot cakes... I bet I made more money than most at pro games sat afternoon .. :)

Last edited:
Not at elite level ... Shooting u18s most sat mornings.. well supposed to be but last 3 got P-P ..2 for weather and 1 covid...
click the TABS for all parts of country

The one I did sat morning.. selling like hot cakes... I bet I made more money than most at pro games sat afternoon .. :)
Cheers - I didn't realise youth football was still going on down south

Not been in here in a while. Not had much results on the remote recently, but had some decent ones this weekend at the football and horse racing.

3 April 2021; Bohemians goalkeeper James Talbot fails to keep out a header from St Patrick's Athletic's Ronan Coughlan during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic at Dalymount Park in Dublin.
1995066.jpg

3 April 2021; Georgie Kelly of Bohemians heads wide during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic at Dalymount Park in Dublin.
1994998.jpg

4 April 2021; Cousin Harry, with Gearoid Patrick Brouder up, jumps the last during the Cawley Furniture Novice Handicap Hurdle on day two of the Fairyhouse Easter Festival at the Fairyhouse Racecourse in Ratoath, Meath.
1995291.jpg

4 April 2021; Royal Illusion and jockey Bryan Cooper fall at the last during the Irish Stallion Farms EBF Mares Novice Hurdle Championship Final on day two of the Fairyhouse Easter Festival at the Fairyhouse Racecourse in Ratoath, Meath.
1995316.jpg

4 April 2021; Ashdale Bob, with Robbie Power up, jumps the last on their way to winning the Colm Quinn BMW Novice Hurdle on day two of the Fairyhouse Easter Festival at the Fairyhouse Racecourse in Ratoath, Meath.

This was a 70-200 from the far side of the hurdle track. I wanted to try and get it as clean as possible, just capture the moment they clip the top of the fence.
1995318.jpg

4 April 2021; A view of the field as they jump the last during the first circuit of the BoyleSports Novice Handicap Steeplechase on day two of the Fairyhouse Easter Festival at the Fairyhouse Racecourse in Ratoath, Meath.
1995329.jpg

Been a while. Some recent ones...

13 June 2021; Pat Ryan of Limerick celebrates after scoring his side's third goal, as Westmeath goalkeeper Noel Conaty reacts to conceding, during the Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Group A Round 5 match between Westmeath and Limerick at TEG Cusack Park in Mullingar, Westmeath.
2024206 (1).jpg

26 June 2021; Bucky Larson, left, with Sam Ewing up, leaves the stalls alongside fellow runners and riders at the start of the Dubai Duty Free Handicap during day two of the Dubai Duty Free Irish Derby Festival at The Curragh Racecourse in Kildare.
2030234.jpg

29 August 2021; Ireland players, including Barry McCarthy, Kevin O’Brien and Andrew Balbirnie, appeal for the run-out of Zimbabwe's Tadiwanashe Marumani, after a direct hit from Harry Tector, bottom, during match two of the Dafanews T20 series between Ireland and Zimbabwe at Clontarf Cricket Club in Dublin.
2073153.jpg

1 September 2021; Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu saves a penalty from Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo during the FIFA World Cup 2022 qualifying group A match between Portugal and Republic of Ireland at Estádio Algarve in Faro, Portugal.
2075244.jpg

1 September 2021; Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu saves a penalty from Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo during the FIFA World Cup 2022 qualifying group A match between Portugal and Republic of Ireland at Estádio Algarve in Faro, Portugal.
2075135 (1).jpg

A few from recent months...

25 November 2021; Soviet Pimpernel, with Darragh O'Keeffe up, jumps the last during the BetVictor Beginners Steeplechase at Thurles Racecourse in Tipperary.2127900.jpg

28 November 2021; Bohemians goalkeeper James Talbot reacts during the Extra.ie FAI Cup Final match between Bohemians and St Patrick's Athletic at Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
2129740.jpg

12 December 2021; Jakob Ingebrigtsen of Norway celebrates as he crosses the finish line to win the Senior Men's 10,000m during the SPAR European Cross Country Championships Fingal-Dublin 2021 at the Sport Ireland Campus in Dublin.
2134729 (1).jpg

Something on this remote set-up. I left the camera facing towards the posts for the second half of the match, on what would be 'France attack'. I was looking to get either a France try in between the posts or, more likely, some Ireland dejection. Players tend to congregate near the posts after conceding a try and whilst the conversion is taken, so there was a high chance of getting something, and the papers like a bit of dejection if the story goes that way.
12 February 2022; Ireland captain during the Guinness Six Nations Rugby Championship match between France and Ireland at Stade de France in Paris, France.
2164076 (1).jpg

We would always say "no ball, no picture" here, with the very rare exceptions, but i thought this remote picture worked.
18 February 2022; Players from both sides watch for the ball during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Shamrock Rovers and UCD at Tallaght Stadium in Dublin.
2169495.jpg

We would always say "no ball, no picture" here, with the very rare exceptions, but i thought this remote picture worked.
18 February 2022; Players from both sides watch for the ball during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Shamrock Rovers and UCD at Tallaght Stadium in Dublin.
View attachment 344788
Spot the ball? :LOL:

I don't think the ball was actually in the original frame, it went that high!

I must remember to take a picture of that remote camera set-up to show how tricky it is to put in place and frame up. Because it's at the back of the stand, you can't actually get behind the camera, so have to your mobile phone in selfie mode and the live view screen on the camera to position it.

Celebration shots? :p
Oddly, I didn't think I had any remote camera celebration shots, but a quick search of our site and I found plenty.

25 September 2021; Simon Zebo of Munster scores his side's sixth try, as teammates Thomas Ahern, left, and Dan Goggin celebrate, during the United Rugby Championship match between Munster and Cell C Sharks at Thomond Park in Limerick.
2090511.jpg

5 November 2021; Sean Hoare of Shamrock Rovers celebrates after scoring his side's second goal during the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division match between Waterford and Shamrock Rovers at the RSC in Waterford.
2116468.jpg

Power of keywording here. Didn't put "celebrates" in the caption, but have it in the keywords along with other similar searchables.
29 December 2021; Fury Road and jockey Jack Kennedy cross the line to win the Neville Hotels Novice Steeplechase on day four of the Leopardstown Christmas Festival at Leopardstown Racecourse in Dublin.
2137740.jpg

Haha! You have to spell this things out to me, I'm too tired these days to spot clever comments!

Of course celebration shots don't need a ball, it's more the "in action against" images..... that said, a colleague won an award recently for his Ronaldo and Shane Duffy image that had no ball, but it's a cracker!

Duffy v Ronaldo

Back