Second attempt at the Orton Effect - photo added

A quite pleasing "magical" effect to it that
is maybe not well supported by the DR.

I think you on to something good Chris!

Thanks @Kodiak Qc, getting the exposure/DR right is probably the thing with this effect (and the original was probably not the best because of the blown highlights on the RHS). Because it is 2 overlaid copies I brought the exposure of the original quite a long way up so that the blended result would be close to what I wanted and then applied a bit of a correction to the final result. Something to play around with I think

It's a great try Chris. For me, it looks like 2 images overlaid (possibly because I know a little about the Orton effect) rather than a single smoothly mystical image.

It's a great try Chris. For me, it looks like 2 images overlaid (possibly because I know a little about the Orton effect) rather than a single smoothly mystical image.
Thanks Toni, any suggestions for removing that "2 images overlaid" look? Perhaps more layers with differing levels of blur and lower opacity to get a finer gradation between between layers?

I don't know, because I've never tried this technique - may read & play, then come back later.

I've tried this a couple of times, it's not easy. I too found highlights to be a problem.
I was just messing around with an old photo for practicing purposes, so i will next time take a photo with the processing in mind. As you can see from this image, all the rays of sunlight have left highlight spots on the ground. (IMG_20160517_233002-1024x692.jpg

I see what you mean, the theory is deceptively simple with this technique I think but like most things in life stating from a solid foundation is important. I also wonder how far to push it, I things to be subtle but there is no point if it barely noticeable, Nice take on the blue bells BTW

I think the first one works but is just a bit dark.

I've just googled Orton Effect to see what it is you are trying to achieve. I think the above examples match others I saw quite closely, but it's not an effect I like at all.

I think you've accomplished what you were trying to achieve and my advice would be not to spend too much time and effort trying to perfect it. Better to get up early on a misty morning and try to capture that "magical forest" look as it actually happens. Not to say you won't need any processing, but a bit of light split toning should be sufficient.

OK, each to his own I guess @TimmyG. It's the painterly feel that I was going for and I think it is another tool in the tool box. I've shot many a misty morning but the effect is somewhat different

I found his site after reading this thread, and it looks like he's into 'artier' images than simple photography.

Wanted to have a go, based on the description of the effect I'd read.

Base image, no PP from RAW
Orton%20MNSTY-2647-3_zpspaobe3xf.jpg

Detail layer - created by decvreasing saturation, raising exposure, contrast, clarity.
Orton%20MNSTY-2647_zps7pr81rxt.jpg

Colour layer, created by reducing contrast and especially clarity, raising exposure
Orton%20MNSTY-2647-2_zpslxpg0hjw.jpg

Blended image using On1 photo layers in 'multiply' to darken the image like I were sandwiching 2 transparencies together, adjusting the relative transparency of the top layer to create a pleasing density.
Orton%20MNSTY-2_zpsa4yrmkrc.jpg

To me, that hits the mark of looking painted, while retaining a reasonable tonal range.

It is a very pleasing end result @ancient_mariner and interesting to see the process. The tutorials I read on this applied some Gaussian blur prior to the multiply, which as I understand it simulates the process that Orton created by making one of his slides slightly OOF.

Interesting stuff, I may well try to copy your approach and leave out the blur.

I need to try more and different methods for the soft image of the pair, incuding various degrees of blur. Rolling back contrast and clarity reduces the detail in colours, making them more like blobs of paint, but without smearing their colour across the image. In some ways it's a little like a jpg image shot at high ISO and then treated to excessive noise reduction, although more pleasing.

OK, a second attempt from me. Same basic approach of overexposure etc. For the colour OOF version I did as before, then moved the image into perfect effects first to apply a moderate blur (50%) and halo (20%) before using layers and combining them with multiply at around 50%. I suspect I may be over-doing the over-exposure a little.

Base image SOOC
Orton%20ApplB-2450_zpsbljy1ski.jpg

Detail image
Orton%20ApplB-2450-3_zpsqwr7zhaq.jpg

Colour image
Orton%20ApplB-2_zpsgtk8pcvd.jpg

Final image - given a slight tweak to colour balance to lift the magenta/pinks in the flowers.
Orton%20ApplB-2450-2_zpsiqeqtczb.jpg

I've gone for subtlety, rather than 'in your face Orton' - does it work, or does it just look like an image that needs a bit more clarity?

does it work
It does for me, there is a lovely dreamy quality about it. One suggestion I saw on a tutorial was to mask out the blur around the main subject and I wonder if the central group with the open flower would benefit but I'm not sure.

does it just look like an image that needs a bit more clarity?
Not to me it has a quality that I don't think you could get any other way

It seems to work quite well with more intimate subjects such as flowers and interiors, architecture but almost any subject might be suitable.
A simple way to do it I use sometimes (Photoshop)

Duplicate layer (CTRL+J)
Add slight Gaussian Blur - not too much - trial and error but usually less than 10
Pull out Layers menu and change the blending to multiply (dark) or Overlay (less dark)
Drop the opacity by at least 50% usually more.
Like a lot more effects it's best when only just noticeable
Merge or flatten layer when you're happy.

Don't forget you don't have to apply it to the whole frame.

Last edited:
Although I only used a slight blur, masked off the windows so that they wouldn't be effected. But i still managed to blow the highlights in the white house.
This is uploaded from instagram so not the best quality.
IMG_20160523_190136.jpg

Back