Critique Second shoot with a non model friend (Beauty / Fashion)

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I've been trying out model photography since posting last and the images here were taken this week at my home and are of a non model friend and only my second time shooting a model.

I'm looking for critique, comments and views on the images below based on the fact that I'm still very new to the game and using a modest setup.

Setup:

Sony A6000
18-105mm F4
50mm F1.8
Nissin Di700a - OCF in 80x80 Softbox
Yongnuo 560 iii - Shoot through umbrella for fill
Edited in Lightroom only.

Nicola-1
by Steven Graham, on Flickr

Nicola-2

Nicola-3

Nicola-4

Nicola-5

Nicola-6

Nicola-7

Nicola-8

Thanks all for Views/Comments

Steven.

I think, Steven, your best take has to be #10… followed by #9 had
you cropped it under the right elbow.

There are three equally important elements in a take: the model, the
light and the photographer.

the model is doing well in giving poses to shoot but mostly from
her right side

light is what defines, sculpts and reveals the model.
This is not your stronger point here as many times you are right
beside it, so close… but beside it. It is not the light gear nor its
power, not the camera and settings nor the model and her work
but it is all in the way you use the
light to define, sculpt and reveal
the model to, ultimately, create a very good capture.
the photographer is the "built it all up together" element.
You are leading the session and the difference between:
• a good session well supported by the model and the gear
• or a bad session well supported by the model and the gear
I do not see here that you directed the model nor used the light
well enough as I think you were too impressed by her and/or
overwhelmed by the session but in control of the technique.

Conclusion
I deeply am convinced that you can do it right as I see you're up to
something very good with these pictures. I believe the sooner and the
more often you get back on the set the better you will get, exponentially!

It take a few times on the set to control everything and so increase the
keepers ratio, take the time and enjoy it.

Not that I'm any great shakes with a camera. But, from my very amateurish view point I think these are really quite good considering your set-up etc. Others will probably, pick out the single strand of stray hair which should have been pointing left, not right. But the only things that make me think hmmmm? are:
Nicola 5 - Possibly a shade too much dark tones
Nicola 6 - a shade too close to the wall throwing a sharp shadow
Nicola 7 - VPL showing
Nicola 8 - the twist in her pose doesn't flatter her waistline.
Also, I love those tattoo's.

Very nice set and a very beautiful (non) model, who in my opinion should do more modelling for you. Would love to see more showing the tattoos.

They're really very good for a second go - and with a non-model too.

There's quite a lot of them to comment individually but watch for details, e.g. VPL, shadows of hair on the face.
I don't really like hands-on-the-face poses, especially not two at once - unless they're doing something very deliberate.
Lose the logo, unless you're trying to build a brand.

5 is on the way to being stunning but it's underexposed and the hand is a problem.

If you're aiming for glossy fashion mag type images then it's going to take a lot of work and practice in photoshop. I'm not saying you have to but it kind of goes with the territory of photographing fashion & glamour models.

It's really worth paying for some time with a quality model if you want to do this kind of thing. No reflection on Nicola but you'll learn a lot about posing and using light from a model who understands what he/she's doing.

Some are better than others of course but these are really well done, in fact some of the best quality work I've seen on this people and portraits forum so far. Your model is great. You don't need to look for another one. My only suggestion would be to have her look up down or elsewhere sometimes instead of at the photographer.

Just to add to what Simon said (all of which is spot on) - if you're looking to pursue this sort of thing the biggest thing that hits me is 'inconsistency'.

The lighting is somewhere between 'beauty' and 'portrait' and is inconsistent

Exposures are inconsistent - this should be technically easy - once your exposure is set, keep the distance from the light uniform if you move the lights or model.

The Choice of and care of the clothing is inconsistent - look out for VPL, loose neck band, etc

As above (really picky point) the nail varnish doesn't match the tattoos, the tattoos jar with a couple of the outfits etc With this kind of shoot when you're showing a 'look' all elements have to work towards the same theme.

PP is inconsistent across them, if I was the model looking at these I'd be worried that sometimes I've got wrinkles and other times I haven't, Sometimes my skin was like china other times it's not so smooth, sometimes my fat bits* become really apparent etc.

*Just to clear up any misunderstanding - the model is clearly not overweight - but no lady will be pleased to have bulges like in 7 or the creases on her tummy like in 8

But I do like 5 and 10 they're almost there.

Hi Steven well considering it only her second shoot I think you have managed to get a fairly good variety of poses and shots.
I,m sure you will both move forwards from this point on !
It's all about lighting and directing your model your certainly blessed with a beautiful young lady to work with.
I have to admit I hate PP work so more and more I try to get it right in camera these days.
In a controlled lighting environment you may find shooting in manual will give you a more consistent exposure and a small reflected works wonders as a fill light on facial shadows.
I look forward to seeing more from you soon just take note of other members above as I would like to think you will get positive advice from here to help you move forward :) keep up the good work

I just seen your set up so you were already shooting in manual lol
You just need to control the lighting ratios of the two light sources but that will come I'm sure

Last edited:
For me, and as already said above, the arm is a distraction. She may well be proud of the ink, but not in so many shots and probably not at all as it just looks odd.

#4 is my pick of these, and with a better expression and with her hair behind HER right shoulder so you can see her neck this would be a great shot. You almost got this look in the one before with the jumper, but with her neck covered it sort of negates how her hair is placed.

Great start, keep at it and keep posting.

Last edited:
Steven, what a great start. I'm learning the ropes on this too and I have to say, I think you're doing better than me :)

My favourites are 5 followed by 10. The lighting on 5 might need a bit of work to get it right because it does feel too dark to me, but any more key light and her right cheek and nose would start to look a bit too hot. Where was your fill positioned in #5 as it might just be a matter of balancing the ratio slightly more or simply getting the fill more onto axis? (but then what do I know?!)

Steven, what a great start. I'm learning the ropes on this too and I have to say, I think you're doing better than me :)

My favourites are 5 followed by 10. The lighting on 5 might need a bit of work to get it right because it does feel too dark to me, but any more key light and her right cheek and nose would start to look a bit too hot. Where was your fill positioned in #5 as it might just be a matter of balancing the ratio slightly more or simply getting the fill more onto axis? (but then what do I know?!)
Thanks for the comments, I think I've just underexposed the image I may be able to bring this back in post, will give this a go if I get the time this evening.

The fill was camera right about 35 degrees but I think with this I had forgotten to adjust from the previous pose and as a result is a little dark.

As someone who is starting to play with a home studio set up, these are something I would love to create. Thank you for sharing them for critique, the feedback you have received has helped me also.

Back