Beginner Second time out with the camera, opinions?

Edit My Images
Yes
Second time out with the new camera at the cousins farm. All shot with kit lens, some in a moving vehicle with kids pulling and pushing lol.

farm_1_of_1_10.jpg

farm_1_of_1_12.jpg

farm_1_of_1_23.jpg

farm_1_of_1_2.jpg

farm_1_of_1_4.jpg

farm_1_of_1_8.jpg

No. 5 works best for me, the Mono conversions look a bit washed out, perhaps a bit more contrast would help.

Watch you're not over-processing images. No.3 has some severe tell tale signs you're doing just that. Severe fringing and halos around high contrast edges, noise and clipped highlights.

Remember.. get as much right as you can in camera, not at the computer.

Last edited:
Pic 1 watch your lines, I know there are sheep and a horse in the pic, but all I see is a wonky horizon.

In hilly country how can you see the horizon is off? (Genuine question - I have shots where I know the camera was level but it feels wrong, maybe as this one does).

What amazes me about 1 is that almost all the animals are looking at the camera, even the horse who is photo-bombing your sheep shot. If I had that many people posing for a photo I wouldn't expect to have anywhere near that many looking at the lens. I really like it.

Last edited:
Ah thank you, yeah defiantly over processing. Trying to get hang of light room as well lol.

I do have a more level sheep one however the sheep were all looking at the horse and the horse looking at the sheep lol. I was in a moving car or a very hilly area.

I like numbers 3 and 5 best

Would have loved 3 if the clouds were the focus point instead of the trees

Ah thank you, yeah defiantly over processing. Trying to get hang of light room as well lol.

I'm far from an expert but I would suggest one step at a time. Get to know your camera, how it works and also the kind of shots you enjoy taking. Learn how to frame them in the viewfinder, expose correctly depending on the scene and use the functions and tools the camera gives you. Use Lightroom to import your photos to your PC, catalogue and tag them but your camera should be doing a fairly good job of things from the start.

Unless you are aiming for a specific look to your images Lightroom is more about applying the small tweeks and corrections to improve your image. It's all too easy to get carried away with all the sliders and settings and before you know it you've forgotten how good the original image was.

I'm far from an expert but I would suggest one step at a time. Get to know your camera, how it works and also the kind of shots you enjoy taking. Learn how to frame them in the viewfinder, expose correctly depending on the scene and use the functions and tools the camera gives you. Use Lightroom to import your photos to your PC, catalogue and tag them but your camera should be doing a fairly good job of things from the start.

Unless you are aiming for a specific look to your images Lightroom is more about applying the small tweeks and corrections to improve your image. It's all too easy to get carried away with all the sliders and settings and before you know it you've forgotten how good the original image was.
I am a fan of jumping in the deep end though [emoji14]

Back