Selective colour

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I know.. I KNOW! but my brother in law wants an image of mine, and he wants some of the accents to be red so it suits his living room decor. I've never done this before, so could someone point me in the direction of a decent tutorial?

This is the image he wants:

The first is the original, (Which for some reason is showing much darker here than on my desktop) the second is the final JPG. He wants it B&W with the lights and postbox red.
Any help would be really appreciated as I owe him a drink!
Cheers,
Nick

I just combined the two images in PS by placing the color image on top in color blend mode and painted the box (+ a couple tweaks).
Instead of doing a complete B&W conversion you could desaturate and adjust brightness of the colors selectively using HSL (tab in LR, layer in PS)Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
I like that black and white. The selective colour one by SK66 will also look good on a wall even as photographers we might think the effect is a bit naff. I don’t think it needs the box to be red though, just the lights. Having the box red just takes attention away from the lights and it’s not of any interest

I believe you can just desaturate the whole image, then increase the saturation in just the red channels in LR. Would increase anything red in the image though. Or decrease the saturation, using brush tool select the bits you want red and then increase saturation.

I like that black and white. The selective colour one by SK66 will also look good on a wall even as photographers we might think the effect is a bit naff. I don’t think it needs the box to be red though, just the lights. Having the box red just takes attention away from the lights and it’s not of any interest
I thought that at first but maybe it does lead the eye up or down, I might also have considered adding a thin red frame border with black around that.
Maybe even try some text in the bottom third.

I just combined the two images in PS by placing the color image on top in color blend mode and painted the box (+ a couple tweaks).
Instead of doing a complete B&W conversion you could desaturate and adjust brightness of the colors selectively using HSL (tab in LR, layer in PS)View attachment 257467

That’s pretty much exactly what I was thinking! Thanks for that. Now to try and replicate it here!!

Okay. My opinion on it.....

Boost the reds just on the lights. Keep the colour in everything else but desaturate and/or tweak it using the HSL sliders or layer/masking.

Pen tool it or mask it and blend layers, slowest but likely best.

Last edited:
I just used the B+W photo, applied a red solid colour, turned the blend mode to colour and painted the bits in I wanted red. redlights.jpg

I combined 2 images and blended in the baloons- upped the exposure to give some detail

EynbKT2.jpg

Les :)

Back