Critique Self portrait experiment......

I feel that we are not seeing this handsome guy at his best. You do need harsher lighting for males but this is too much as it is important to see the eyes. This Guy Iestyn was a Polish Wrestler, I photographed at a Studio Club session.

Iestyn.jpg

I hear what you are saying. The framed print of this is much darker as I wanted to concentrate on the shadows and contrast and form more than anything else

I totally disagree with Dave, who is suggesting a bog standard head shot instead of your moody portrait. However, I do think the overexposed hair doesn't work with the silhouetted face and maybe it would have been better if the light were slightly less bright and moved down to the side more, to illuminate the farther side of the face and body, leaving the other side in shadow. You'd probably get a catchlight then as well.

I totally disagree with Dave, who is suggesting a bog standard head shot instead of your moody portrait. However, I do think the overexposed hair doesn't work with the silhouetted face and maybe it would have been better if the light were slightly less bright and moved down to the side more, to illuminate the farther side of the face and body, leaving the other side in shadow. You'd probably get a catchlight then as well.
Cheers Steg....i may rob the original framed print i gave the missus and scan that in as well!!!

I am not suggesting a standard shot; I just grabbed the first male portrait to hand to demonstrate the two extremes. I have added a few higher contrast portrait below now I have had more time to look. The first is taken in a studio but just using side lighting. The second was side lighting with a reflector used on the right but very little and the third was similar with the reflected light increased.
DavidR11.jpgMafia 8.jpgWise Guy 4.jpg

Back